The Emigration Thread.

Better food in general but the bacon is a bit of a downer alright. It’s also much more relaxed and friendly in the city centre than Dublin, the level of random violence, fighting, pissing, puking, junkies, aggression and general menace on a night out in pretty much any Irish town simply wouldn’t be tolerated here. That alone makes a big difference to general quality of life. Much stronger tenancy laws. Infinitely better management/work practices, pretty much every single boss I ever had in Ireland over nearly 25 years working there was an exploitative c*nt.

I’ve probably mentioned before one of the major pluses for me is that Kiwis are refreshingly straightforward and honest. They say precisely what they mean. Whereas half the conversations you have in Ireland are enigmas wrapped in riddles of oblique references, veiled hints and convoluted side-steps. Used to drive me demented, but hey that’s just me.

As to why the houses are shit…well this was one reason en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leaky_homes_crisis

Kiwis also seem to have this bonkers attitude that houses are somehow supposed to be cold and damp and miserable and us effete Europeans with our nonsensical crazy talk about central heating, insulation and double-glazing need to man up already. So wherever two or more ex-pats are gathered in one place, the conversation will inevitably get round to incredulous curses at Kiwis and their attitudes to housing build quality.

They’ve just passed a law recently that whenever a tenant moves out of a rented property the landlord MUST get the property up to scratch with respect to stuff like leaks, draught-proofing, damp, wall and ceiling insulation and so on before re-renting it. That should improve the situation considerably over the next few years but right now it’s still pretty bad.

Oh so very glad I bailed when I did and worked hard to secure my permanent residency, after the lunatic vote in England and Wales today!

What about letting Irish diaspora come back to live when they retire? No risk of taking away jobs and retirees have money to invest in homes, etc. Should be a win-win, no?

I’d sit tight for a bit as far as NZ/Oz are concerned, the Oz mining/commodity boom is over and their housing bubble looks to have finally peaked. NZ’s housing bubble should also be nearing peak (check out the relevant threads in the “International property bubbles” section). Nearly all the banks in both countries are cross-owned by the same small group of banking conglomerates, so a serious stumble in either country will cause an immediate banking crisis in the other. It could all get rather “interesting” over the next 12 months.

Course if you can get a visa for a decent paying job that would be insulated from an Oz/NZ banking & property crash, then coming here now could actually be a shrewd move.

Per QNHS Q3 2016 out today

15-34 year olds

RTE encouraging people to leave
Looking at the people who have had enough of the country, instead looking to Hong Kong as a place to build a new life… RTE1 television 9.30pm
rte.ie/tv/programmes/betteroffabroad.html

I am out of here on Tuesday all going well.

Somewhere sunny ?

The weather forecast says I can look forward to -7.

Apologies for not replying sooner.

Brrr… I don’t like the cold

Best wishes on your travels and here’s hoping you can make a cleaner break of leaving than I have achieved with one foot away and one foot in Ireland.
Travel broadens the mind (and the pocket as well).

Best of luck with whatever you are doing.

What made you make the jump?

5 years in Kiwiland today! 8DD XD

My only regret is that I didn’t do it a decade earlier :nin

Bunch of stuff really. Better job and salary. Had grown to despise Dublin; the traffic and the rental market just got unworkable. I keep seeing these reports about how highly it rated as a place to live and wondered if I was living in the same city at all. I’ll be dead by the time they build a public transport system that works. I got sick of sitting in traffic and I couldn’t afford to pay ever increasing rents in a profoundly unprofessional rental market.

Well having travelled around a good bit I’d say anywhere where tap water won’t kill you, there’s basic levels of nutrition, healthcare and education and the law is broadly accountable.

How was it getting a visa? What area is your employment in if you do not mind sharing

IT though anything on the skill shortage lists is the same basic procedure.

Getting a one-year work visa was pretty trivial, approved within a couple of weeks. Getting ordinary residency is a lot of paperwork but again if you do your homework and bring most of what you need with you it’s just form-filling bureaucracy. Usually takes about 6 months for that to be approved. Then all you have to do is turn up for work and not get arrested for two years to get Permanent Residency, then there’s another three years of trying not to get arrested to get citizenship…

immigration.govt.nz/new-zea … ermanently

I moved to Luxembourg. Currently apartment hunting although I started work last week.

Enjoy the cheap whiskey! The local eau de vie are fabulous, amazing how much fruit they can carry across the distilling.

Congrats.

Trier is a grand spot across the border if you fancy a cycle in the summer.

But is not Luxembourg one of those countries where people literally die of boredom?