This seems to be pretty stark on a number of fronts -
- it will surely decimate Irish Beef Farming with clear implications for rural Ireland
- Coupled with no-deal Brexit there is potential for economic catasttrophe outside the multi national/tech/ pharma bubble
- There are likely to be serious political ramifications in Ireland should this proceed. The rise of anti EU sentiment (currently low) is almost guaranteed, again outside the metropolitan bubbles which will actually benefit from the same deal.
- All credibility is immediately removed from European/Fine Gael posturing around Green issues as soon as this is implemented. Outsourcing food production to dodgy South American sources from the greenest Beef industry on earth in Ireland really highlights the fact that the broader movement is little more than a revenue raising vehicle.
- This has the potential to end Fine Gael for the foreseeable. Phil Hogan is the relevant Commissioner. This almost guarantees that Fianna Fáil will lead the next Government.
We’re entering uncharted waters to the extent that this deal, coupled with no deal Brexit have the potential to set Ireland on a very different course than has been the case for the past thirty years.