The Irish Education system. Bork central

It is commonplace for parents to send their more academic offspring to the local secondary school and the less academic child to the local Tech.

We’ll send little Johnny to the Tech - they have a marvellous programme there for students with dyslexia!/ They’re very good at dealing with students who hated primary school/They’ve a lovely atmosphere there and little Johnny would thrive better there than in the local secondary where the atmosphere isn’t as “nice”.

Meanwhile, Patrick is sent to the local secondary school where he wastes too much time on religious indoctrination.

If the local secondary school dispensed with the religious indoctrination, they might do a lot better than they actually do. The Techs do very well indeed considering the cohort they generally get. In fact, if Mummy and Daddy sent their academic kids to the Tech, they’d probably do better there than in the local secondary, as less time would be wasted there in religious indoctrination.

Most of the league tables are dominated by the local secondary schools despite that. Mummy and Daddy will be sending their sprogs to the tech whether they want to or not and within 10 years anyway…unless they can afford the fees for a small number of private schools. :slight_smile:

Quinn will get what he wants, in fact he will get all he wants. The religous will be gone out of education shortly along with Quinn himself when he retires. But he is fighting a 1970s and 1980s battle at the wrong time here. Shame the actual education will be gone out of it as well and that he will crash the bits that work best to get his way.

Apart from the academic results secondary schools also cost a hell of a lot less than VEC schools ( even after the mendacious lying rubbish from PwC is stripped out) and on a strict like for like basis but including the extra VEC backroom staff, our new religious orders.

Hold up!
I went to my local Tech … and got a great education which set me up for my current career.

• 100%

The VEC sector is full of UNRECOGNISED AND UNACKNOWLEDGED dysfunctionality and inefficiency. CEOs of VECs are accountable to …NOBODY!

HOw many Pinsters will send their children to a VEC school? (Although Maynooth and Castleknock VEC schools have a good reputation)

I think that’s doubleglaze’s point in the last sentence. Her point is about parents rather than schools.

Lots of snide “mummy and daddy sending little Johnny” commentary in this thread which doesn’t help.

I’ve repeated ad nauseum on this site that the vast majority of people I know sending their kids to private schools are ordinary people. Good people, not given to doses of moral superiority. Not “spoilt childers” or any of your other lazy stereotypes.

It’s very interesting that the PWC figure turns out to be bogus. Feel free to have a good ideological circle-jerk over that fact.

2Pack, you seem to have a lot of anger about this issue. You may well have a great point but I can’t tell – TBH your post is poorly referenced and very ranty. You’re jumping to a lot of conclusions and taking swipes at people for no good reason.

I think it would inform the debate if you could clarify some stuff. Again, I’m not arguing with your point, just trying to understand it and your sources.

They pay for some of the teachers. Private schools use funds to add more, no?

[citation needed. Also be nice.]

[citation needed]

[citation needed]

[citation needed]

[citation needed]

[citation needed]

Is it at least true to say that private schools seem to get a better deal in Ireland than the UK? My relatives in England seem to be paying much more in fees than my far wealthier acquaintances in Ireland who complain about the fees all the time.

Er, I thought private schooling was optional, not compulsory?

It’s just different. In the UK you get free state schools in posh neighbourhoods with fantastic facilities and great reputations, and mega house prices to boot. Or you pay for fully private, which costs an arm and a leg. Or if you are unlucky and live in an area with bad schools, you are stuck with those bad schools.

We’re more fortunate on all counts in Ireland, you can get to live close to any of the good free schools, with perhaps a few exceptions like Muckross. And private fees are in reach of middle income people should they so wish ( though not for much longer if the ideologues get their way)

And if they want to change schools there wont be any of your Monkstown CBSs left. :frowning:

Do you mean Sion Hill, Oatlands, Marian, Colaiste Eoin/Iosagain, Muckross etc? Monkstown CBC (NB) is fee paying.

Where?

If you are referring to CBC Monkstown. Yes Deputy Quinn is doing a bang up job helping to destroy schools like that. I predict half of fee paying schools will be gone by the end of the decade if this ill informed witchhunt continues with the Irish Times cheerleading it all the way. Enrollments are going through the floor. This has been the Irish Times pet for years and they have championed this debate for a long time. The IT have never looked properly at why some schools fail (LOCATION) and why others do well (LOCATION). There is a reason why public schools in South Dublin like Muckross and the two Coláiste’s do well, the IT ignore it and go on about fee paying schools.

If Blackrock College was in a spot of bother I have no doubt that Quinn would cease this though, how and ever with nearly 2000 pupils they are safe. :angry:

The result of these closures this will be:

• More expensive private schools than ever. These will not be eliminated, ever.
  • The parents who spend their money currently on these schools but will be priced out in the future will continue to spend money on their children’s education in other ways (more grinds, more language trips ect) More Institute of Education type schools will open which will be very pricey but 2 year Leaving Cert grinds schools, again the “inequality” will continue in other ways.
  • A worse public system with the Government footing the bill for the closures of fee paying schools
  • Best teachers will now be plucked from the State system. The current system of all fee paying and public teachers being under the same Union agreements will be gone. We will get more Institute of Education type poaching with the now even more cashed up fee paying sector and grind schools, free from Government intervention, able to go after teacher with above Union rated salaries. Results, worse teachers in the public sector.

You were donig well until that. Perhaps the IoEs will steal, but the other private schools offer permanent positions and there just isn’t the demand for IoEs.

All the Irish teachers I had at the secondary I went to were rubbish. The science teacher was rubbish. Both the art teachers were ignorant bollixes - one by 50 years of teaching the same stuff, the other because I wasn’t any good and he wasn’t prepared to take an interest :slight_smile: . The history/geography teacher was notoriously rubbish. Religious teaching was a farce and confirmed my atheism. One of the sports teachers took an inappropriate interest in boys in showers and was moved overseas.

What can I say? Private school in Ireland, an elite business…

This is all nonsense and strawmen. We’ve refuted this nonsense repeatedly in the other thread.
Irish Times is very soft on fee paying schools. It shows your shrillness that you object to them even having an article about it. And they’ve had several in support over the last while - see other thread for George hook, and the Belvedere guy.

This “witchhunt” is far from “uninformed”. You just don’t like it so you call it a witchhunt.

Well, forgive us all if we take your views on education with a pinch of salt…

It’s pretty mad that someone would put inequality in inverted commas on this. Two children who live beside a selective fee paying school. Both want to go. One gets to go. One doesn’t. There’s no inverted commas…that’s just inequality. State supported inequality.

Two children live beside a totally state supported school with no fees. One gets to go, the other doesn’t. Why? One’s name was put down at birth, the other moved into the area later…

So what’s your point paleface? Pick a system. They’re all shit.

Come off it. On the other thread it is accepted that private schooling will exist. I just don’t want to subsidise it. You expect me to weep because this guy won’t be able to afford to segregate but others can? That’s a strong point to you, is it?

Grinds and language trips growing exponentially? Who knows. Who cares.