The Irish Education system. Bork central

:open_mouth: Sounds like that school dodged a bullet! :laughing:

Bear hug?

Yes indeed!

Voluntary contributions are 125 per child (we have 2 kids on the roll.)
Class sizes are c.28.
Extra-curricular (typically after school) is outstanding: sport of all descriptions (GAA/soccer/hockey, for example) as well as music, chess, yoga, dance, coder dojo, and all manner of other activities. When I think of my own primary school play that involved 200 boys chasing a burst ball willy-nilly around a concrete yard…
There is also an onsite afterschool facility for kids (until 6 PM; so care is “seamless” from class to afterschool). I’m not sure about fees.
Double-streamed means that there are 2 classes in each year, so 2X28 kids in 1st class, for example, and so on up and down. There is no “strreaming” per se. Unfortunate choice of words :wink:
One big advantage that METNS has is unlimited daytime use of the IADT allweather pitches adjacent to the school.

(I sound like I’m selling places in the school!)

**Edits: corrected by my wife :blush: **

IT running a nice article on private schools…got to keep it’s readers happy!!!
I’m sure if I look elsewhere in the paper, there’s a few articles having a pop at the elitism of the Catholic Church and its control of Primary schools!!!

Fee-paying schools report better results as recovery takes hold
irishtimes.com/news/educatio … -1.2508601

Very happy clappy piece…all creeds, all colours together in happiness. Utopia!

irishtimes.com/news/educatio … -1.2580858

I was ready to dislike her sense of entitlement but it’s actually a completely unfair rule change since it affects people already in the system, not just new entrants. It also seems crazy to deprioritize people paying full whack for their degrees.

+1, on both points.

Agreed that it’s unfair, but how else do you discriminate in favour of the Irish? :open_mouth:

That was quite good but just about the last thing I’d expect you to post.

Agreed on the fact that it should phased in, but it does seem fair that people who got in the ‘real’ way (i.e. studying rather than taking out their wallet) get priority.

By the time they’re doing internships how they got into the course is completely irrelevant.
They’ll have proved themselves academically throughout the course.
Harking back years to how they got there in the first place is ridiculous.

It seems to me like this is a visa issue rather than a university issue, i.e. the internship year is a HSE job which graduating students apply for. Most countries have a visa specifically for those who’ve recently graduated from a local university to cover this sort of eventuality and this isn’t the first time I’ve read complaints about Ireland not having something similar.

Reminds me of an old joke: What do you call the person who ranks last in their class in medical school? Doctor.

If only there was a shortage of junior doctors :angry:

Pass, Fail - -> thewalrus.ca/pass-fail/

This is certainly true of the Irish system, where the choice is dictated by the points system and social pressure meaning a very high portion of post leaving cert students end up taking up time on courses where they are wasting time and resources before dropping out or keep going to the bitter end in a discipline they are not suited.

Yes well. We seem to be sticking with the fallacy that everyone should go to university for a 4-year degree. Until we realise that that’s bullshit we’re just building a big money-eating machine that doesn’t do the students any favours.

Irish students always got priority AFAIK, with very few international students getting internships after graduating, which meant that even the least intelligent/talented Irish doctors would get a place over genius internationals. The internationals then head home to Singapore/Malaysia/etc. to intern there instead. I suppose this individual was previously prioritised for an Irish internship on account of her Irish citizenship, but is now being treated like the other internationals?

The whole system seems unfair to me, especially given that many of the Irish students (who didn’t even pay any fees other than the annual registration fee) will run off abroad for decent wages after the internships are over anyway. I suppose you could debate that it’s in our interest to give them to Irish people who are naturally more attached to the place, and who may eventually return to Ireland full time after years of working abroad. In any case, a fairer system for internships would be one based on merit rather than nationality/who applied through CAO and who didn’t.

Ross O’Carroll Kelly has a go today:

irishtimes.com/life-and-styl … -1.2592394

You have to hand to him - he’s been telling the same joke for over a decade and still getting paid for it.

That said, the Southside Gaeolgoir is the worst of all creatures - phoney as a five-bob note with horrible, unpronouncable makey-up names. (They’re a bit like rats in that you’re never all that far away from one. Liam O’Maonlaoi is their poster-boy and the sub-species can be found in larger numbers at Kila concerts.)