The Irish Education system. Bork central

Classy as usual

Yup, the original Irish versions of your Anglicised preferences are totally made up.

And they said being anti-traveller was the last socially acceptable racism!

That was great and describes exactly what is happening in Irish universities as well as in public universities throughout the west.

C’mon…everyone knows the kind of people I’m referring to - they’re a caricature of a caricature at this stage. (If I’d had a go at the ultra-Catholicism element that RO’CK also mentioned I’d be cheer-leaded all the way.)

On a more serious note, having spent some time in the Civil Service I’m firmly convinced that this bilingual nonsense is, and has long disrupted the smooth running of the State. Certainly many capable people have over the years been prevented from rising through the ranks in favour of those more “culturally correct” incumbents.

Ultra-Catholicism is derided because it has a long and ongoing history of intentionally making other people’s lives unnecessarily unpleasant (possibly justifiable if you’re a believer, definitively not if you aren’t).

You seem a bit annoyed that some people won’t just shut up and let their culture die - is there some other element that I’m missing, or is that the long and the short of the roots of your disdain?

What is the solution? Thankfully we have real competitors in the East who will eventually expose the collapse of Western education. Frankly I rarely read anything written after the 1960s except in the hard sciences and even there I find most of it little more than fluff. We need to go back to the traditional platonic ideal popular in the 18th and 19th centuries when TCD in Dublin still taught an education based on the medieval trivium and quadrivium along with Greek and Latin. That is where you go to find the answers the direct noetic insight prized by the higher mathematicians not the farce we have today.

Lobby the rankings organisations (QS, THES, etc.) to include metrics for percentage of overall salary going to support staff (administrators mostly) as opposed to frontline staff (lecturers), proportion of classes taught be temporary, casual and non-PhD staff. That would be for starters. Without such changes, nothing will happen. Highly-paid administrators are too firmly entrenched.

It’s significantly more serious than a minor internal power struggle between university lecturers and administrators. Rankings are often based on metrics not related to pedagogical excellence.

I’ll summerise his thesis as follows:

University has become a societal obligation like military service, failure to complete results in failure more generally. Lecturers are increasingly accountable to administrators and students, hence incentivised to pander to both. Substandard apparatchiks that pander to students and administrators are appointed instead resulting in:

1. Students no longer have to fully engage with the course to receive a good mark as the incentivisation is to keep students happy resulting in grade deflation and ignorant students.
  2. Lecturers with a higher ideal of education and excellence are sidelined.

I would have thought people undertaking religious studies would have been intrinsically motivated or intellectually conceited. So I’m surprised his students have such little interest.

Some cultural issues/causes:

Internet, games etc. are incredibly powerful distractions and are especially designed to absorb attention.
Students are physically degenerate and unable to concentrate as their bodies have been deformed by a lifetime of sedentary living.
They have no higher ideal to aspire to as we are ensnared in modern epicureanism, the final stage of civilisational decline and demographic extinction surrounded by an abyss of cultural marxism without any of the ideals that have promoted western civilisation since its inception.
Education inflation for most jobs to weed out applicants due to economic downturn and recession resulting in unnecessary ‘education’ for young people who would be better off starting directly after leaving school. How many went to college in the 1960s hayday of British engineering Concord, AGR nuclear reactor etc.

Any one espousing ideals such as ‘The older university administrative class, with its sobriety and appreciation of the real ends of the university, no longer exists.’ and ‘because you will have pandered to their basest inclinations while leaving their real intellectual and moral needs unmet.’ is hopelessly old fashioned. I don’t see a mention of a career or job in there… are we dealing with an idealist? What exactly does he mean by these statements, they are nebulus abstract who could understand such waffle in the modern world and a professor of religious studies no less, practically a walking dinosaur. That is why it will not return to his idealised age of intellectual excellence, he is lucky to have a job.

I disagree with him on a number of other points:

1. I see no reason not to allow interactive recorded videos the ability stop is very useful. Lecturing is a holdover from a different time. Use a video of your ‘finest lecturing’ moments and then have tutorials to help the student understand.

2. We are producing more graduates in the sciences than ever before.

3. The growth of the administrative staff creates lots of local jobs as opposed to lecturing jobs that are mostly imported.

4. “sooner or later your rational self might tell you that the game is up, and you might stop doing what it is you do (serious study of texts and historical events, honest lectures with real content) and start doing what you are expected to do”. Here he is talking some sense, modern society has very little place for old curmudgeons like him.

Another article same vein as above:

demosproject.net/the-manager … xperiment/

While there are undoubtedly issues in the Irish educational system, at least we don’t have the tories making a mess of it…

bbc.com/news/education-36092151

For profit schools have to be the worst idea in education. Basiing your entire system on them??? What’s worse than worst?

Ive no idea where to start with this sort of ideology so I won’t bother, it smacks of neoreaction or monarchism. Suffice to say that lecturing is itself a holdover from a time where books were very scarce and the lecturer would read to the class. Pure anachronism that has not been updated in 500 years.

I think that if you believe that you would should down HE and leave people to educate themselves from the various MOOCs that are out there. In reality the role of the lecturer today is to curate the (mainly) free stuff that’s out there and to provide the social controls that keep the students actively engaged with said material. The key role of designing assessment to aid these processes also shouldn’t be underestimated.

I have been fascinated by the emergence of the ‘neoreactionary’ movement for a while. It seems to have taken on a life of its own. I predicted its growth on here a couple of years ago but I didn’t think it would become such a big movement.

Fundamentally it is largely correct it its understanding of the world. I find most of its adherents painfully verbose wafflers however and often they have very questionable views. But it does have its roots in the stronger older pagan traditions of Europe, including the better Greek philosophers so it is tapping into powerful currents. Fundamentally rationality is hierarchical and rationality through noetic insight is close to divinity. This has pretty much been the inspiration for all European greatness, the expression of the higher harmonies of order into the profane from the Greeks to the middle ages. The logos made life, the music of the spheres. Lost now of course as we live in modern epicureanism, in which desire, considered totally evil by the Greeks is paramount. Indeed a satanic reversal. There is a reason classical thought was so prized for so long, but we are bred to be workers and such thoughts do not suit that role.

I think that the problem is that tertiary education these days does not teach people to be independent thinkers and does not know how to. I believe that the teachers do not properly understand their role and a lot simply engage in the rote learning (to their “academic” left principles as those above capitalism) and do not understand that they are simply churning out product. Up to 80% of tertiary students in the US in studies have admitted cheating on exams. The failing is on both sides, but the responsibility is with the colleges.

The Greeks also invented democracy, something that is anathema to neoreaction and seemingly, to you. They are into the caste system and some form of technocracy where the pop stars are corporate ceos. A nightmare banality that is a crossover between a 3rd world slum and an Apple Product launch, with cheering young squares as the boss class.

Yes but democracy was correctly viewed as one of the later stages of decay. Have you ever read the Republic? The touchstone of western philosophy for millennia? Pretty much every answer to the human condition can be found in that work.

All good systems are based on caste/hierarchy as this mirrors the higher orders which are layered like an onion, but a spiritual hierarchy not a hierarchy based on material success which is ultimately pointless. This is fundamentally about an alignment with rationality (divinity/order/stasis/immutability). The world is ordered from above (not by a personal God however at least according to the Platonists and the Vedantists) but imperfectly as it is mired in unreality but the higher order exists here. A world view based on desire is ultimately evil as desire simply creates more desire (this is the true meaning of karma), hence the endless suffering of the world, trying to catch water in a net.

They are smart people who have an intuitive grasp of what they are trying to express and an argument can be made for technocracy certainly above democracy which just promotes those who are good at emotionally manipulating people (all emotion is desire in different configurations).

independent.ie/irish-news/ed … 13874.html

Ah…here we go!

waterfordwhispersnews.com/2012/0 … -to-irish/
*A DUBLIN man has confirmed today that all his Facebook friends think he is ‘really cultured now’ after translating his name from, Peter Cody, to the Irish version, Peadar Mac Oda, late last month. The self proclaimed movie critic told WWN that several of his friends have also changed their names to Irish in the past few weeks and ‘haven’t looked back since’.
“I suppose they seen how many likes I’ve been getting lately and have jumped on the old ‘ass gay gle’ band waggon.A few of the lads have them fada yolks in their names and have been making great progress with the lady likes. I wish I had a fada or two.” he added. *

My sources tell me that despite spending a rumoured six-figure sum on recruitment, UCC’s six-person short-list for the next president of the college are all internal candidates! If only they had known the depth of talent walking around the leafy quad before blowing the cash :smiley:

Golden Generation.