The Irish Education system. Bork central

Started when he was around two. I can’t remember the exact progression but he was counting quite early and doing simple addition at 2-3. He was really interested in it so it wasn’t something I had to push on him, he just soaked it up. He’s 7 now and likes addition and subtraction with negative numbers, addition, multiplication and factors. I explained base modulo arithmetic to him last week and he immediately grasped the concept and was doing simple addition base mod 6 (like, 4+3=1). I tend to “surf” concepts like that with him rather than going into detail – my theory is that when he hits that in school whenever that happens it’ll be a familiar concept that he can refine and practice rather than something brand new that he has to grasp.

It really doesn’t take any pushing. Instead of eye-spy, play word or number games in the car. Talk at all! Read alphabet books, number books. We couldn’t stop ours from reading at bedtime, they were the ones pushing.

I agree that boredom is an issue, my son is particularly interested in maths and has raced ahead, the teachers have helped by giving him alternate things to do, something that’s not always an option.

Yeah, my kids want to play mental arithmetic games in restaurants (I’m sure this phase will pass). It makes me feel a bit like someone I should hate.

Another interesting milestone is when can you introduce games that involve deception. In terms of board-game recommendations for younger players, as well as the complexity of rules being a factor (for obvious reasons), I’ve seen different sources suggesting that younger kids don’t enjoy games that involve significant bluffing/lying (as opposed to just hidden information).

On the other hand, the skills and mental models needed to play such games are useful and everyone ends up learning that eventually.

I presume he corrected you … 4 + 3 = 1 is modulo 6. It’s 11 in base 6. You were just toying with him, right? 8)

Aren’t there a few famous experiments in child psychology? For pre-verbal children there’s the one where hand with puppet goes behind toy house, and emerges out the other side empty. Below a certain age children register no surprise, but older children recognise a deception has taken place. Then there’s the one where kids are left alone with tempting sweets or wrapped toys and told not to eat them or touch them (which they never manage, of course). Two to three year old always confess their transgression, while at age 4 to 5 they concoct lies. Even older children understand “second-order deceptions” (“I don’t know what the sweets taste like because I didn’t eat them” … compared to one five-year old response: “I didn’t peek at [the toy]. I touched it and it felt purple. So, I think it is Barney.”)

Some kids are naturally interested in this stuff. Some aren’t.

Am speaking from experience here, I had a reading age of 14 when I was nine and a half.

The rest of the world catches up by the time you are 19 or so.

To be honest, it’s better than them wanting to play chasing or hide and seek :neutral_face:
And celebrate it! You have the sullen years ahead…

Ooops, corrected thanks

Hmmm. Me I gave up lying at the age of five. But only because no one believed me.

He’s obviously not from a FF house, they can figure it out at three months.

Wait, zero! Is none a number ?

I’d highly recommend the wonderful Oliver Jeffers if anyone is ‘doing a Mantissa’ with their 2-3 year olds.

amazon.co.uk/None-Number-Hu … 0007420692

The games thing comes down more to how the child will feel to realise that others have played a deception in order to gain advantage and win the game. General guideline is that doesn’t work so well for younger kids and they can feel a bit more hurt than older kids who’ll take it more in the spirit of good sport. But I’d imagine it’s very individual, and might even be over-caution.

The pin, where parents subject 3 year olds to infinite iterations of the prisoners dilemma and other game theory so that they might save 10k bidding on a house in the boom of 2035

And 10k is a LOT OF MONEY when you factor in the coming deflation

irishtimes.com/news/educatio … -1.3031285

so almost as expensive as Curly O’Callaghan’s Cliff Hotel but without the debt write offs (yet).

With Ho Chi Quinn getting a few shekels out of it. at least unlike his Alma Mater it’s not subsidised by the state

Synesthesia.

Ho Chi Quinn will probably be more at home in a venture like this than he ever was in Labour…or maybe it’s 2 sides of the same coin

The market already exists. The waiting list for Andrews secondary is astronomical and this school was positioned purely to take people from that list. And not one person will pay their own fees, it’s all expats being relocated here by companies who’ll pay school fees. Great business venture.

the42.ie/why-are-so-many-gaa … 7-Mar2017/

works both ways?

helps to get sometimes scarce posts when you’re an inter-county player (also I’d imagine boys schools are damn glad of fellas who can coach, not to mention the male role model aspect)