The Irish Water (meters) thread

No, you are wrong and if you bother reading that thread I linked to you’ll understand why. The Impact Trade Union might have opposed the sale of Coillte, but so did just about everybody else! While this forum might be obscure, you’d be surprised at how it can inform debate.

And why you’re moaning about 7% of the country not being sold for €1k/acre is beyond me, but really the Impact Trade Union at least deserve a bit of credit for being on the right side of history.

I am not advocating any particular type of ownership.

My point was (and is) that the regulatory environment is far more important to outcomes than ownership is.

Utilities are quite well regulated in Ireland.

Some other semi-states (CIÉ, Bord na Móna) have weak regulatory oversight and are in many ways poor value for taxpayers’ money. They do, however, employ lots of unionised workers which is why nothing much changes.

Water privatisation looks little more than an organised rip-off, - Financial Times.

Joan Burton on RTE Radio One at the moment complaining that the Jobstown defendants had legal representation. You couldn’t make it up.

In other news all charges against all defendants have been withdrawn.

Im sure you will agree that the story here is garda ineptitude and a mistake by the DPP in the charges they chose to bring against Murphy and his pals.

Im sure you will also agree that the actions of the protestors on the day were disgraceful.

No, the story here is that Joan Burton is a washed up fool who thinks that defendants in trials shouldn’t have legal representation. Try to keep up.

8DD

if only i could keep up with as sharp an intellect as yours

something to aspire to

your sympathy towards her for the treatment she was subjected to is illuminating.

I have no sympathy for her whatsoever. None. The evidence presented in the trial clearly showed the Gardaí in control of the situation and that the car could have been reversed out at any time. Protests are ugly and Joan Burton has been involved in enough of them over the years to know that.

Trial is over. All innocent.

Aim high.

innocent of the charges filed perhaps, and it seems the gardai werent in control of the situation.

not having sympathy for Joan as i said is illuminating, from the times:

Garda handling of the water charge protest at Jobstown was inept. At the same time, former tánaiste Joan Burton and her assistant were treated abominably: threatened, abused and spat at by some within an angry crowd and prevented from leaving. Garda reinforcements had such little effect in securing her freedom that an internal review of organisational practices, policies and other issues was ordered.

:astonished:

The actions of Paul Murphy & co was nothing short of thuggery. But hey let’s deflect attention away from this uncomfortable truth.

Thats not what she said and you know that if you were listening.

She said she counted 3 solicitors per defendant which she though excessive seeing as all were on legal aid. And she pointed out that on the continent in cases like this where a group of defendants are tried together, 1 legal team represents them all.

Keep the hyperbole down a tad :unamused:

A defendant might have their own solicitor, but in a court case you employ a barrister to advocate for you for the trial. A Junior counsel assists the barrister. Why would a defendant have three solicitors and no barrister or junior counsel?

That’s our legal system. It applies equally to all. Joan Burton wanted a mass trial? with ‘dodgy’ Garda evidence?

Moaning, whinging shite that defines her.

What happened at the protest is not the story. The story is how the State tried to destroy protestors and failed.

Actually, they did manage to drive one protester to his death, so I suppose you can chalk that one down as a victory if you want. :unamused:

thejournal.ie/jobstown-phili … 8-Jul2016/

Do you understand the difference between a solicitor, a barrister and junior counsel?

You need to calm down and slow down. I repeated what Burton said in her interview, thats all.
I know this topic brings down the red mist on you, but chill.

Your making wild assertions and when the story from the interview is pointed out (an interview you claim to have listened to) which outlines your inaccuracies , you go off on a different tangent.

Chill

drove him to his death?

Looking at the video i would imagine issues related to his obesity were a more likely cause

thats a scandalous post.

so you have confirmed your first post misrepresented what she said

thanks for clearing that up

He was 36, played Rugby and it’s hard to tell how rotund he is from that video but he doesn’t look like a prime heart attack candidate.

its very sad that this young man has died, he has a family and a lot of friends by the looks of things. But blaming someone for driving him to his death is uncalled for. Im actually shocked at the depths coles has plumbed here.

Concerning the refund of the water charges. People were asked to contribute their refund cheque to charity - does anybody know how much this initiative raised?

A workmate raised an interesting point on this - if you didn’t pay your water charges did anybody suggest that you should pay what you would have paid to charity?