The Irish Water (meters) thread

No and No. You have to be washing the panels regularly and they are often subject to damage from hail in most of Europe during the summer. Promising technology but not maintenance free
CHP by definition can’t have the same maintenance costs as a gas boiler despite what the brochures may claim.

What’s the lifetime of the system? 10-15 years?

Unless you boil wash all your clothes, neither does any other wash.

60 to 70 degrees is adequate for most. Every wash is really a decision. How dirty, what type dirt. will the dye run, can it be washed at high temperatures. I don’t have a maid to do these things for me. I find it most tiresome.

The powerwall isn’t ready yet. And holds a pittance in power. Battery storage is still not ready for domestic.
The panels, though, now come with a 15 year guarantee, so are expected to last 20-25 years.
They don’t need to be washed.
They don’t get damaged by regular hail. If they did, your car and the rest of your roof would be trashed too.

edit: ps as I watch the rain fall for yet another day, I wonder what all the fuss about water conservation here is about. I can understand the utility cost of providing drinkable water, but it’s not a conservation issue in Ireland. In ten years, my ultra large garden had to be watered in precisely one summer. I do water my raised beds, but only because they’re raised…

yes, hagelschaden/damage from hail is a big issue here. I got some dings on upward facing panels on my last car and couldn’t figure out where they came from and then it occurred to me that it wasn’t conkers; it was hail.

I spend 10 minutes every year cleaning mine. in terms of maintenance, that’s ‘close to nil’.

Why? Do you imagine that you need a Gas technician and an electrician?

It’s interesting that every other country can do it but we can’t. Why is that?

every other country is not fitting solar panels and chp to each residential home.

Solar panels in Ireland need to be installed at about 40 degrees. This angle is sufficient to deflect any hail that is ever likely to fall in Ireland.

and the standard pitch of an Irish bungalow is?

The State could have done what every other country had done and encouraged distributed generation and microgeneration where excess energy supported the national grid. Instead they decided to try to support the monopoly system, and now the technology has arrived that will ultimately make the National Grid an exclusive burden on the State.

Traditional roof pitches are between 35 and 45 degrees. Bungalows are usually between 30-35 degrees. All make no particular difference to the production of electricity or the risk of hail damage in Ireland. Even horizontal solar panels wouldn’t get damaged by hail in Ireland.

No thanks. You don’t convince me. Ireland should continue to incentivise conservation/insulation until the technology for off-grid power generation has improved. rainwater harvesting will remain the preserve of the eco-conscious wealthy who happen to live in a location where it is feasible to harvest rainwater.

Is it hard to find someone to install and makntian the CHP unit? Or is it basically a fancy gas boiler?

Coles, any idea what connection fees are for new builds to the electricity system are approximately?
That would offset some of the 20k cost for pv and chp

Just trying to gauge a payback

About €2k for the domestic connection.

Page 5 of this ESB Networks document.

esbnetworks.ie/docs/default … ?sfvrsn=16

A good way to start getting an idea of the PV electricity production pattern is to look at real live production data. Most of the inverter manufacturers give an option for homeowners to publish their live data for others to see.

An example would be a manufacturer called Omnik, and below is a link to their portal. Just under the log-in options is a link to ‘Public Sites’.

omnikportal.com/

When it comes to the cost of PV panels and inverters you really need to register with the UK or EU trade distributors to see the real prices. I would also recommend companies such as Bimble Solar or SolarTradeSales to get a good idea of how much it should really cost. Prices of €500 per kWp are normal, and the installation is very simple. There are limits to the amount of panels that can be placed on a roof without planning but there’s no reason for that to be a problem.

You won’t find a lot of expertise in Ireland for CHP so you’re probably best to talk directly to the various manufacturers and see what their offerings are. The SEAI might also be a good source of information.

Interesting piece here
Battery price war sees Tesla Powerwall 2 beaten even before first deliveries

onestepoffthegrid.com.au/batter … eliveries/

On a tangent (And since the talk is of energy conservation, in an Irish Water thread its a tangent to a tangent) I bought a Nissan Leaf this year…so far brilliant

€15k is nearly 20 years of electricity bills for me. For that all I have to think about is a monthly direct debit and I get >99.9% reliability.

Any in-home solution will inevitably have maintenance costs too and lower reliability.

It is complete nonsense to argue that it is cost- effective to go off the grid in Ireland (which is why of course why no one does it, save for a few hobbyists).

Can you imagine it could ever makes sense? The reason I ask is that the cost is falling so quickly while the quality of the technology is improving. As we have seen, those that are the most vocal and extreme against it are usually completely ignorant of the technology.

Things change. Technology is disruptive.