The Jordan Peterson Thread - The Architecture of Belief

Runs in his family according to him. Seems his daughter also had a tough tough start in life. Lots of health issues.

He drops small details throughout various talks in support of a point but in the 2hour version of this video (sorry can’t find full version it right now - but it’s there in the podcasts!) he goes into a lot more detail about some of his life’s challenges.

I like Russel Brand and he’s good in this, as is Peterson.

Very interesting conversation. First time I’ve heard Petwrson questioned about the topic of inequality.

This 31 mins video/discussion between Jordan Peterson & Dr. Iain McGilchrist is a cracking antidote to all the recent media generated hit pieces, noise and non-sense.

I always get confused; is he Enoch or Elijah?

youtube.com/watch?v=xPIanlF6IwM

:laughing:
Does somebody shout ‘Praise Kek’ when he takes out Kermit? Maybe they are too young to remember him…

On a related note, the Life Site News piece commends Peterson (correctly, I think) for speaking to, and working with, young men who might otherwise become the disillusioned ‘angry young men’ that find a home in more extreme movements or lifestyles. If anything, it suggests, Peterson is robbing the Alt-right of some of its foot soldiers by - to borrow a phrase - empowering them.

Op ed in nyt today attempts to dismiss Peterson as a particularly Canadian typecast
The Boring Consevative

I’ve found him rather tedious so far. He makes growing up in Alberta sound like an act of heroism in itself. Point me to his most original ideas.

Most people might not find him saying anything new or original, he just makes his points well and can back up his arguments with hard facts, I think thats why people on the left seem to hate and attack him so much, or call him tedious

Indeed.
Peterson isn’t saying anything new or original, he’s simply stating the obvious.
But he does so in a very well structured, reasoned and researched manner that’s hard to refute.

In the ocean of political correctness however, such utterances are somehow deemed to be dangerous.

The story with Peterson is not what he is saying, but how the left and media respond.
They seem to completely lose their mind at being presented simple facts.
It’s fascinating to watch.

This is a very good and long article about Petersen.
Well worth a read.
reasonrevolution.org/introductio … -peterson/

An invaluable listen.

Some background info on Warren Farrell.

Start the Week
Jordan Peterson on BBC radio 4 talking with a few others about 12 rules book.
Louise O’Neill comes across as spectacularly unselfaware.
Peterson doesn’t get to say much but it was laughable when Peterson rejected some insinuations on the basis that they were unsupported by evidence but the insinuator defended his position by saying that Peterson couldn’t prove that no evidence did exist.

poor louise was out of her depth

She completely missed the point and wasn’t called up on it by anyone.
Very poor show by the host.
It would have been a lot more interesting if when asked if she accepted the need for personal responsibility as a prerequisite to societal change she had instead said “No” and proceeded to defend what is obviously her position.

Just finished listening to the Warren Farrell interview linked above and can confirm it is an invaluable listen.

Another piss poor attempt at calling his character into question. He garnered some applause though which is strange -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gp3fOBq0DN0

There was a profile/interview in the style section of the New York Times .
It seems he believes in enforced monogamy

Dyson was woeful throughout that entire debate.
Came across as an intellectual lightweight (even though none of the participants shone particularly well).
His entire argument was based around ‘‘As a black man …’’, which becomes tiresome very quickly.
Perhaps as a preacher he’s too used to talking to a crowd that is already in agreement with him.
Because as an orator of persuasion, he completely failed.

As a counter to Dyson, here’s an excellent one-on-one with Larry Elder.

Interestingly, to show how the leftist media spin facts, Trump recently saw his support significantly rise among African-Americans.
The joke spread that it jumped from 1% to 2%.
While in reality it rose from 8.9% to 16.5% overall and 11% to 22% among black men.
eu.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2018/05/04/trump-says-kanye-helped-double-approval-ratings-among-blacks-fact-check/581913002/

The numbers may still appear small, but it’s a massive blow to the Democrats who rely on an overwhelming percentage of African-Americans voting for them.
One of Hillary’s failures was that black people simply didn’t vote in sufficient numbers.
And that is actually the Achilles heel of the Democratic party.
They appeal to ‘minorities’.
However, in order to win at the booth, they need a candidate that sufficiently appeals to all minorities.
And whilst Obama succeeded in this, Hillary failed.
But it also means they constantly need to come up with an Obama to have any chance of winning.

He clarifies this here:

“Enforced monogamy” means socially-promoted, culturally-inculcated monogamy"
What does that mean exactly?

This is lifted from the article

“The cure for that is enforced monogamy. That’s actually why monogamy emerges.”

Mr. Peterson does not pause when he says this. Enforced monogamy is, to him, simply a rational solution. Otherwise women will all only go for the most high-status men, he explains, and that couldn’t make either gender happy in the end.

“Half the men fail,” he says, meaning that they don’t procreate. “And no one cares about the men who fail.”

I laugh, because it is absurd.

“You’re laughing about them,” he says, giving me a disappointed look. “That’s because you’re female.”

and from his book

“Order and chaos are the yang and yin of the famous Taoist symbol: two serpents head to tail,” Peterson argues in 12 Rules of Life. “Order is the white, masculine serpent; Chaos, its black, feminine counterpart.”
Now Peterson seems to have struck a cord with a certain type of young man but he seems to have difficulty relating to half the human race, the half that are women. In fact he seems to understand lobsters better than women.
Given the views he holds I’m not surprised that his most hostile interviews have been with women