The Legal Profession- a law onto itself

The Personal Injuries Assessment Board has now produced a study of “whiplash” claims showing that over 70% of personal injury cases involved “whiplash” and awards in Ireland are far higher than anywhere else (most jurisdictions simply don’t believe this whole “whiplash” business). It seems the minority who didn’t stick in a claim for “whiplash” are either pathologically honest or went to the wrong solicitor.
piab.ie/eng/news-publicatio … Y-DATA.pdf
Michael D’Arcy, the Minister of State responsible for insurance, threatens the judges with a referendum.
irishtimes.com/news/politic … -1.3693638
It is true that a referendum is the only thing to rein in the judges but this idea smells of desperation - the Minister is admitting he has no leverage over judges because there is no chance of a referendum on this issue. Even if the AG could produce a wording “Thou shalt not give shedloads of dosh to chancers”] what are the odds that the judges would take notice? Remember the bail referendum?

I had a serious car crash about 20 years ago, rolled into a field at about 120kph. Minor brain haemorrhage and something very like whiplash. I fixed it myself over a year or so with swimming.

So I think those sort of soft neck tissue injuries are real, whatever you choose to call them, but they don’t happen with a prang.

I hope the sons don’t let this end here and pursue the case as far as it can go. What these people can get away with is astounding

independent.ie/irish-news/c … 73075.html

The fact that the son was representing himself is not a great sign as regards their approach.

So, a solicitor charging 200K plus VAT for professional services. No itemised quote or invoice available? No paper trail? Doesn’t seem to be of the standard one would expect of a professional.

The sheep have to have audited accounts. Where is the revenue commission in all this and the revenue does make mistakes too. Are a lot of people asleep here, no wonder this country is only half functioning.

Seems the heirs, successors and assignees aren’t satisfied with their 2 Million Euro windfall. If anyone can win a 2.2 million Euro settlement for me, I’d happily pay them 10% as a finders’ fee. 8DD

If there was any justice - no, seriously - if there was any justice, the residue of the settlement would revert to the HSE which is instead consuming limitless amounts of our taxes.

In the Waters matter, why were the sons representing themselves? Did they refuse legal representation? Is it not offered to everyone making a complaint?

Who were the 4 cheques made out to that the Solicitor is refusing to reveal the names of? Can someone independent investigate this to verify it was valid?
We saw in the Judge Perrin case what can happen when things go wrong with money/estates

The heirs, successors and assignees aren’t satisfied with their…

“She died in 2014. Her family subsequently learned there was just €800,000 of the settlement monies remaining.”

…windfall. Quiet rightfully, they would like to have some satisfactory explanation for the disparity.

Why? Are you saying a persons assets ought to be consumed for their care? IOW dump the welfare state? Surely if you pay into it you ought be able extract from it.

I think he means that a payout awarded from medical malpractice calculated on the basis of a normal life expectancy shouldn’t just be handed to your relatives if you die, which is perfectly reasonable. Periodic payment orders are now on the way instead.

The legal racket won’t like that

As far as I know it’s the solicitors making the big bucks from percentages on individual PI cases, as the barristers get paid something a bit like day rates.

There really isn’t a “legal profession” in this country, the two professions are regulated and organised separately although there are occasional migrants from one side of the fence to another.

Another cracker. Solicitor overcharges client by €650,000. A Law Society investigation finds nothing wrong. That’s in spite of the Taxing Master finding “blatant and obvious overcharges” by the solicitor. Eight years later the case is still trundling on. The High Court upholds the Taxing Master’s findings, but the Law Society has still not progressed their investigation one iota. Could be just a coincidence ( :unamused: ) but it turns out the solicitor was a member of the society’s own complaints and client relations committee around the time of the alleged irregularities. Meanwhile the client has racked up massive legal bills trying to pursue the case. When is someone gonna step in and say that these bozos cannot regulate themselves?

independent.ie/irish-news/c … 94787.html

Why is this is the first extensive report on a scandalous story that has been before the courts for years? Other media coverage has treated the case if it was just a routine dispute about legal fees but the level of over-charging is so extreme that the bills bear no relation to the actual legal work. If the Taxing Master found “blatant and obvious overcharges” on this scale, shouldn’t the Gardai investigate possible embezzlement?

No surprise that this is about a land deal that fell through. Interesting to note that the same solicitor had represented this client and his siblings “in a number of matters over the course of a decade”. I wonder if this was really a settling of accounts within the family dressed up as “legal fees”?