The Perfect SCD House......

Or just stick up a few low-rise apartment blocks in between the trophy homes to up the average density. Be grand!

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

XX

The sad thing is I reckon that exact sentence was said by a planner to a developer in the pre-tribunal era.

Yes, that was the house I was referring to. I think it’s alright - I like the front elevation (though totally inappropriate for the setting), but the rest isn’t all that and as you mention it is lacking master bedroom space. Something like this could appeal to wealthy downsizers and such a couple recently built a quite similar style house (though larger) in Dublin South City area and the master bedroom suite alone was about 1000sqft. Two other older couples around there have created bedrooms around that size too (maybe even larger) - though their houses had three floors. These are all people in their 70s looking for comfort and with big budgets.

I’m being a bit of a Devil’s Advocate here but to be honest I’m surprised that higher density planning isn’t being encouraged in this area. The area has excellent transport links to the city centre. The Milltown Luas stop is serving dozens of people on this road (even if they use it) when it could be serving hundreds. The Temple Square development which replaced one (possibly two) houses with 50 houses could be replicated along the length of this road to provide more housing in an area of Dublin that people want to live in.

These very large houses are proving to have a smaller and smaller market and will eventually prove unsellable as family houses. This will happen because the development potential of these houses is just too great - causing prices to rise due to speculative purchases, the houses will then be left derelict while planning goes to and fro. Better that we bite the bullet early and make it clear that development will be granted on these sites and allow this to happen in a planned and coherent manner instead of the ad hoc mess that is beginning to start on these roads.

To be honest I’m not sure what’s great about temple road - I would hate to live there - the houses are too far apart to engender a sense of community, very few kids on the street and they can’t just hop from house to house, the shops are miles away… I could go on. If you want to live in a house in splendid isolation surrounded by security there are plenty of nice places down the country for that.

To be serious for a moment I do think we need to increase the urban density on the South Side out as far as the Dodder. We could do this keeping and adding to the parkland that we have and making it clear that the planning department is open to higher density housing on the site of of large unmanageable houses - rather than ad hoc divisions into 3 or 4 houses.

I think you’re nitpicking a bit. There are loads of areas in Dublin where kids are unlikely to have many neighbours of their own age to play with - if you want high densities of kids then head for the estates of west and north Dublin.

The main flaw with your “down the country” plan is that transport makes it largely impossible to have a job in Dublin and a rich home life. With the likes of the Cherrywood development it’s only going to get more difficult to fight through south Dublin traffic to get to the central business districts.

If only we had a properly developed rail service…

I suppose it depends on how you define “major”, but among cities of Dublin’s approximate size, it’s hardly unknown. Maybe you’ve never visited Birmingham, as an example, but Edgbaston has Rathgar sized houses on Rathgar sized plots at Donnybrook distances from the centre.

Maybe that’s a British/Irish thing. If you scale from a metropolitan area of a million and a half to one of eight million, Holland Park and Primrose Hill aren’t so much further out of London in proportion and they’re fairly low density.

IMO, the big problem with Dublin lies in the middle distance suburbs, in that it has too much Crumlin density housing, with vast spaces of barren, soulless, ryegrass monoculture open space, pointlessly meandering cul de sacs, unused driveways and wasted verges, with the houses then packed into the remaining land, where it really ought to be Phibsborough or Ranelagh density terraces, with modest front yards behind low walls, but each house having longer back gardens.

The great thing about the rectilinear late Victorian terrace layout is that not only does each house get a private garden, but that each of those gardens is bordered by three other long gardens, rather than houses, except at the corners of the block, so it is minimally overlooked and each householder gets a sense of having their own private piece of a big green space, rather than being forced into unwanted proximity to their neighbours, who are all looking out from behind the net curtains of their living rooms onto a flat green desert.

I’m still convinced that those late Victorian terraces are pretty close to an ideal layout for medium density, middle distance suburbs, whatever the shortcomings of Victorian building technology.

Absolutely. 472sqm house in prime residential area… would ya get up the fkn yard! I’m not saying hey, let’s build 500 Communist Worker’s Hive-Units, but this is insanity.

That’s a good point. However, if you look at London/NY and the center of Dublin, I would contend that there is a lot more resi in the actual city center in those cities than in Dublin. We are a suburban animal.

There’s a lot in your post which makes total sense.

Ranelagh & Phibsborough terraces are very good uses of land. They are grid based.
Verges, front gardens & meandering estates - 100%. What is the purpose of a grass verge?

It’s not that close? 12 minutes walk?

It’s the town where Daniel O’Connell grew up, iirc. Faces onto Derrynane, one of the nicest beaches in the country.

I assume you are referring to the options for people who will only live in 5000sq ft mansion on an acre of garden? Because I’m pretty sure that it’s possible to both live in a 1200sq ft well-designed eco-friendly terraced house and yet still be happy. Given urban density is a core factor in having that fully functioning metropolitan transport system that we all want, is it not better that we have ten of these houses (giving ten families that rich home life) versus one large mansion housing one family?

Unless by “rich home life”, you actually mean “expensive house life”?

I was referring to the post I quoted. :slight_smile:

This singer??

:-GC

Avanti now sale agreed per myhome.ie

Avanti sold for €2,225,000 (€1.96m + 13.5% VAT). €25k over asking price and €927/sqft.

Avanti, 36A Temple Road, Dartry, Dublin 6
Date of Sale: 07/04/2016
Price: €1,960,352.00
Not Full Market Price: No
VAT Exclusive: Yes

There are 5 properties in this development, Avanti is the first sold. Three are still available:
Glandore (POA), Ellington (€2.5m) & New Haven (POA)
myhome.ie/residential/brochu … -6/3397800
myhome.ie/residential/brochu … -6/3397995
myhome.ie/residential/brochu … -6/3397996

The largest house, Caherdaniel, was on MyHome IIRC but is now gone - could either have been bought off-plan or they have withdrawn it for a while rather than keeping it lying idle on the market with the other three. Avanti had the big draw of fronting onto Temple Road (Caherdaniel also has this), seems the other ones at the rear of the site are a harder sell considering they’re still unsold months later.

Took time to sell but they got their price. It’s a nice house.

Well it sale agreed pretty quickly (1.5 - 2 months after going on market) but it does seem to have taken a while to close.

The perfect SCD house is now on the market :smiley: along with some horrendous wallpaper :cry: :cry: :cry:

oldwww.myhome.ie/3789573

Decorative issues aside, it’s a handsome house with an A2 BER that will certainly appeal to someone. Rear garden is very small though.

Wonder what the price is?

Rear garden seems to be tiny (though are there multiple levels or something? The photos of the rear are a bit confusing). It seems like a shame to have all that space largely wasted out the front, and then a wall directly outside the living room.