The Pretty Charts thread

Why is Brexit supporting sales of properties in Ireland? As a London banker, I see movement of people towards the continent mainly - not a lot of talk about Ireland unfortunately.

If the sensible mortgage rules have linked house prices to wages, why do you expect 5-7% growth? How would this be funded, if not by the banks?

They are working on installing a new leader in the central bank so that the rules can be relaxed, right now they are stopping prices rising.

We are getting the false news about a rental crisis when it’s really a zero building of social housing problem.

Get ready for the return to the boom times and we all better get on board or well miss the boat.

There has been much talk about a relaxation of CBI rules for quite a while but has not materialised thus far…not sure why it is going to change now?

As discussed on other threads, I doubt if there will be any major relaxation of CB lending criteria.
Well, not on this guy’s watch IMO

It’s not supporting it, if anything it’s hampering it IMO, removing that uncertainty will be a positive for growth.
The 5-7% growth is IMO driven by earnings, savings, exceptions to CB rules, inheritance and other unearned income. The CB rules are I think providing some constraint but that manifests itself most to those buyers whose only way to service a mortgage is from PAYE earnings.

I dunno. It seems to me the entry-level PAYE earnings people and the mover-uppers are in two different segments of the market that have been diverging. The bottom end remains constrained by lending limits. To get a 5% increase in that segment you’d have to assume that somebody in the running for a €300k mortgage can save €15k on top of the deposit requirement, while possibly also paying rent. I think the pips are already squeaking.

Somewhere around the €600k mark you have the start of the mover-uppers. This segment has been increasing strongly since 2012. But (as mentioned on other threads) it seems to have languished in the last 12 months. I’m not sure why, but someone else has suggested that all the pent-up demand has now been satisfied.

In any case, if the lower end is constrained by lending limits and the upper end has stagnated for whatever reason, I don’t see where additional price inflation can come from. (But I’ve been wrong many times before).

It would be worth adding that if the lower-end is stagnating on CB rules, then it prob has a knock-on effect into upper level as many will be trading up so the house/apt they are selling isn’t increasing much in value

I sincerely hope it ‘stagnates’ at ~2%, this country is obsessed with property. Bank lending might then be more focused at and enable more worthwhile endeavours like small business expansion.

Perhaps all of that means the the next (Property) recession won’t be as server as the last given the lower levels of exposure to any one sector (like housing - although maybe financial services has filled its place), so there won’t be such a drop of lending given the rules that are in place. Certainly at the lower end anyway where is drives the market which is overall a good thing.

I think the property market could tank, no bother. And it could have severe knock on effects on the economy, suppressing demand through supply chains, also hitting employment figures and exchequer returns. The CB rules are primarily there to protect the banks from themselves remember… we could have a recession but hopefully won’t have to recapitalise banks.

Income taxes are up 6.6% year on year. Suggesting Incomes are up around the same, so borrowing capacity for all can, in theory, go up accordingly. (it isn’t - but sin sceal eile)

Nonetheless, income tax revenue is 6.6% higher than it was at this time in 2018, the Department of Finance said.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2019/0502/1047148-exchequer-finance-revenue/

Income tax revenue is a little below target for the first four months of 2019. No basis for extra borrowing. Who knows how long we can rely on Corporation Tax to prop up current expenditure? Without it, we could never satisfy the teachers, nurses and Gardai.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/business/volatility-returns-to-hit-exchequer-tax-returns-in-april-921709.html

Interesting reading here with regards to Ireland’s corporation tax…

Pretty Charts (more info and links here )

Monthly

Quarterly