The Pretty Charts thread

I noticed RTE’s election page is using d3.js, plus topojson for the maps. It’s the bee’s knees.

rte.ie/news/election-2016/

v0.3 now up.

• Works on Firefox, Chrome, Safari and MS Edge.
  • Limited support for mobile browsers – more or less works on Safari on iPad.
  • Not tested on IE, but probably won’t work.
  • Map views merged into one
  • Tooltips added.
  • Default view is now Table.
  • Comments, suggestions and bug reports welcome.

Click image to see the real thing.
i.imgur.com/GoAhnnS.png?1

EDIT: updated list of browsers.

Here’s a new Pretty Chart. Gives PPR sales volumes by month and quarter for Ireland, Dublin, and ex-Dublin.
Fairly self-explanatory. Link to raw data on Google Sheets is provided. I’ve automated the extraction of this data from the PPR so hope to be able to update it on a fairly regular basis. Current version is as of 29-Feb-2016. Should work on Firefox, Chrome, Safari and MS Edge. Comments/feedback welcome.

i.imgur.com/VHySA0i.png?1

I wanted chart data to be somewhere in the cloud, and not hardcoded into a Github Gist. Google Sheets seemed like a reasonable place, since the data could then be owned/edited by anyone it was shared with. But the Google apis for uploading/editing CSV data and converting to multisheet documents turned out to be messy. On the other hand, Google Sheets has a nice function for importing data on the fly from other sources. Snipt.net (a Pastebin-like facility for text data) has a nice upload/edit api. So the flow ended up something like this:

I now have a one-button process that gets the latest PPR, runs multiple analyses and uploads results to Snipt.net, whence it is referenced by a static Google Sheet which is published for use by my D3.js charts. It should be easy to keep the Snipt up to date weekly and the chart automatically reflects the latest without any further intervention. I’ve done it first for PPR volumes, will shortly do it for PPR median prices, and then for myhome.ie asking prices. Any other chart suggestions welcome.

Here’s v0.2 of the PPR Volume chart, which just fixes a positioning issue with its legend. The raw data link now gets one of those Google multisheets with imports from Snipt. Should still be working on Firefox, Chrome, Safari and MS Edge. Comments/feedback welcome.

i.imgur.com/VHySA0i.png?1

Front end code is here.

EDIT: One feature I plan to add to all charts in future is to remember the selected settings from last time. Would allow, for instance, the PPR Volumes chart to show Dublin data by default, corresponding to metalmikes figures over here.

New version of PPR Volume chart, now with Median Prices too.

i.imgur.com/lDFLzli.png?1

Front end code is here.

**Pretty Charts

Yeah, I wasn’t especially happy with it. Hard to know how to work it since it is a time series as well as geographically distributed. Basically, white is cheapest, reddest is most expensive. The range is the range of prices throughout the entire time series (2011-2016). But because Dublin is off the scale compared to the rest of the country, the Dublin map has its own range, from cheapest to most expensive. Ideas for doing it better are welcome.

I use black through red to white as a colour scale which tends to work pretty well. You get a much longer spectrum of colours that way. Black would usually be the smallest number which gives a sense of cool through to white hot.

Works with blue too.

Logs can help make a long scale more manageable too. Not sure what your extremes are but assigning a colour based on the square root of your price/sq ft may help.

Thanks jess, will take a look at that shortly.

**Pretty Charts

Coming soon (maybe):

• Commuter belt asking prices
  • CSO RPPI
  • CSO Arrears

(Fixes needed: axis ticks-grids-lines, map legend, page reflowing , deep linking, code cleanups)

I tried a couple of options but wasn’t mad about the results. The black-red-white scale gave a better range but didn’t gel well with dark text and borders. I tried blue-white-red but Dublin and rest of country are so out of sync that I ended having to try all sorts of arbitrary compression within the scale, and it looked awful. In the end I decided to stick with two separate scales, but in different colours. I added a legend for each, which is a bit unconventional but works ok:

A grid, can we grid to the perimeter?

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/08/16/54/081654ce695abb1c90fd13b852f7732b.jpg

Forgot notional / officious boundaries for delineation. It’s a real waste of reality.

Grid the shape. Possible to allow density as a variable parameter?

You can still impose the borders as much as the outer border for nostalgia.

I’d like triangles but if it’s easier to have squares or hexagons… I’ll not argue if you’re buying. BD

A grid, can we grid to the perimeter?

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/08/16/54/081654ce695abb1c90fd13b852f7732b.jpg

Forget notional / arbitrary / officious boundaries for delineation. It’s a real waste to play that *old *game.

Grid the shape. Possible to allow density as a variable parameter?

You can still impose the borders as much as the outer border for nostalgia.

I’d like triangles but if it’s easier to have squares or hexagons… I’ll not argue if you’re buying. BD

… I know I know, the data …but eircode??? :smiley:

Pretty Charts

Coming soon (maybe):

• Commuter belt asking prices
  • CSO RPPI
  • CSO Arrears

(Fixed: axis ticks-grids-lines, map legend, deep linking)
(Fixes needed: page reflowing, code cleanups)

Pretty Charts

Coming soon (maybe):

• CSO RPPI
  • CSO Arrears

(Fixed: axis ticks-grids-lines, map legend, deep linking, code cleanups)
(Fixes needed: page reflowing)

Pretty Charts

Coming soon (maybe):

• CSO Arrears

Pretty Charts

Coming soon (maybe):

• CSO Arrears

Pretty Charts

Pretty Charts