The solution to Dublin accommodation shortage

Aha, surely this is the solution - get the diggers out!

bbc.com/future/story/2015042 … nderground

Having recently been involved in funding a new development with an underground carpark I would say I learned one thing … Underground is EXPENSIVE!

There is a lot of unused sky in Dublin…

I think there are about 45 underground rivers/streams in the Dublin city area

Over 130 named rivers / streams in the county that mostly all work their way to the Liffey/Dublin Bay

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rivers_of_County_Dublin

subterranean houseboats?

There isn’t even a land shortage in Dublin 1 or 2, there are loads of unused buildings, boarded up buildings, random open spaces not used that could be better used before we need to start thinking about building underground. I never understand why there all these tumbledown places so near to the centre of the city and we build appartments ten kilometres out.

So very true.

Plus all the bungalows in and around the city centre.
This country really has things arsebackwards! Bungalows in the city centre & “town houses” out in the sticks.

Surely you mean the “charming bespoke artisan dwellings,” as an estate agent would probably describe them?
thesearchforanneandmichael.blogs … isans.html

I don’t remember seeing any new build bungalows coming up for sale recently inside the M50. I assume the bungalows were built when construction costs were more of a constraint than land costs.

10km isn’t in “the sticks”, although I suppose you can get into the foothills of the Dublin mountains if you pick your direction right.

That’s an interesting article.

There are plenty of solutions to the accommodation crisis in Dublin. As others have pointed out there is plenty of land available. The main problem is that the developers are waiting for the government to give them money to start building. They’d be mad not to do this since this has been the government solution on every other occasion. All carrot and no stick. These carrots are given from the taxpayers purse. The proper solution is to punish land hoarding by a punitive site tax in designated areas. In every other city Bolands Mills would be apartments already - it’s right beside Google, Facebook etc. I reckon you could put over 200 apartments on that site in a year. The old barracks behind Heuston is still largely undeveloped and I believe belongs to Nama.

By the way upping the number of apartments in the city centre would also increase the supply of family housing near the city centre. All these house shares off the SCR, in Rathmines, Ranelagh and those on the Luas (Dundrum, Balinteer etc) would come back as family homes.

All it takes is political will. We don’t have it - we only have donkeys who think constantly of carrots.

The only way anything is going to happen is when the MNCs start to talk to the Government about an accommodation crisis - then the gobshites might listen - but their solution will be ‘carrots!’

I completely agree with you that it will be all carrot. However it might be much quicker to use a stick, If a building in the city centre is not being used or being left there to rot charge the owner ten per cent a year of the value, you would find them either being used or sold very quickly and in the event that there is not demand then owners would be forced to use them for low value cultural uses even if corporate or dwelling use is not feasible. So much better for a city then dead spaces where so many people are commuting when they don’t need to

There could be a law allowing the government to compulsorily purchase unused land or buildings. The price paid could be the market value less 20%. Such a penalty would encourage owners not to allow their asset fall into this category.

Well the concept of CPO does exist. But I guess it would have to be extended to cover social housing contraction. I believe it’s only for major infrastructure?

I’ve actually written to councillors and others about these land management matters (the joys of incipient middle age…). The city clearly has vast swathes of derelict buildings and waste ground available for building or municipal use.

Those that bothered to respond referred to the real legal difficulties in interfering with property ownership, the cumbersome process around compulsory purchase, the vagaries of contract law, etc. What they were essentially saying, as per almost all Irish politicians, was as follows: This is a complicated issue that requires some leadership and determination if a long-standing, knotty problem is to be addressed - hence absolutely fuck all will be done about it. Ever.