Unemployment rises to 14.9%

I have no objection to this but they are still technically unemployed and should be counted as thus.

I have huge objections to Jobbridge; it is a business support scheme dressed up as a jobseeker initative.

I’m not sure it’s that simple. The basic question is what do we do with the excess of labour supply (relative to demand)? Hire them into the public service? Turn them into subsidised childminders? Let them watch Netflix? Export them to somewhere with more demand?

Jobbridge isn’t necessary the solution, but it’s* a* solution. Inactivity is socially and personally corrosive.

Jobbridge is the sort of scheme that makes me hate official Ireland. I have mailed Burton since 2011 again and again pointing out incidents where the scheme is being abused and she has done nothing to reform the scheme to prevent exploitation.
Labour don’t care because the scheme which wasn’t in existence before they entered governement knocked between .1 and .3% off the unemployment stats.

The notion of a fair days work for a fair days labour is not the ravings of the looney left, it is the foundations on which a functioning fair society is built. Jobbridge, Tús and Gateway are undermining this completely. While home I was looking around an operation which is haivng ALL these schemes funnel free labour in to it and those who are there do not benefit from this at all apart from getting out of the house for a few hours. It left me depressed. How can I return to a basket case country like this.

Heavy on principles (laudable) but light on pragmatism.

If you’re looking for reasons to stay away from any country you’ll find them. There are lots of reasons to dislike living in Ireland but that doesn’t make it a basket case. Lots of people are very happy here.

Getting out of the house for a few hours is actually pretty important.

I’m no fan of jobbridge, and I do think there are better ways of handling our current problems, but I don’t think it’s accurate to say that the participants get no benefit from it.

Totally agree that it seems to have been quite widely abused and poorly policed though.

Like the guy who hung himself just late last week after loosing his job as a caretaker last year in a school where a relation of mine works. Jesus it is grim. But you’re all right jack!

It’s like I’m suffering from PTSD in the days after a short trip home.

and you are championing the modern equivalent of 19th Century potato famine relief work for food schemes.

Back in the 90s they funnelled young school leavers like me on to ESF funded education schemes, now they don’t bother with that and just distribute them as units of labour to the local businesses as beasts of burden.
I was observing at the weekend one particular cash generating task that is being supported by job schemes that just isn’t economically feasible if you aren’t getting labour for free. labour cost would consume all income from the activity.

Your juxtaposition of someone’s unfortunate suicide with accusations of my selfishness is poor form.

Perhaps you should look at statistics…

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co … icide_rate

For instance…

Suicides per 100,000 people per year
Germany: rank 31, 18.9 male, 6.4 female
Ireland: rank 39, 17.4 male, 3.4 female
Greece: rank 88, male 6.1, 1.0 female

Interesting to see such a low compatible female suicide rate.
Any reason for it ?

do you believe Irish statistics for suicides? It is another one of those numbers which is fudged in Ireland so this certainly is an appropriate thread for it.

You presumably live in a country with zero suicides?

Don’t get me wrong, there’s plenty about the country that annoys me, but how many countries really manage to do things better? What percentage of the world’s population lives in better conditions than the Irish?

I’m willing to accept that maybe, by some measures, you might claim that the Scandinavians, Australians, Canadians and New Zealanders have it better than us (albeit definitely not right across the board). So that’s maybe 100 million out of 7 billion, which puts us in probably the top 2% globally by quality of life? Hell, add in all of Europe and North America ahead of and we’d still comfortably be in the top 15%.

But right, yeah, it’s totally grim here compared with the rest of the world, where nothing bad ever happens, and we’re a total basket case :unamused:

I must have travelled home to a different Ireland. suicides, imminent homelessness due to intentional constricted supply, unemployment not classified as unemployment.

Every country has problems. There’s not a single country on earth that doesn’t have a list of afflictions every bit as damning as that. We certainly have issues, but my most reasonable measures there are precious few countries in the world better off than us. I challenge you to name a dozen (should be easy if the place is as bad as you make out).

Work is constantly being destroyed by innovation and mechanisation, someone here suggested that for this nation to surrive comfortably we need roughly only 30% of the current workforce.
The angst seems to be finding meaningful ways for everyone to contribute equally to society. That’s hard for a 21st cen modern society hanging onto a late 19 cen ideal of what meaningful work is.

Why would you invest in machinery when you have access to a supply of people for free with no obligations owed to them.
There is a reason why China has grown so much so quickly and part of it is down to rural migrants being willing to work for little more than a bowl of rice.

This will be one of the great challenges of the 21st century. One solution is to raise corporation taxes (steady…) but give credits for each person employed. The intention being that to reduce the drive to automation, or at least compensate for it by essentially taxing machines - of course this is basically incentivising inefficiency, which isn’t ideal either…

in some cases automation can create jobs in high wage countries if it can reduce per-product labour cost to compete with low wage countries. China has the lowest uptake in robots of the biggest exporting countries, so it might be at a relative disadvantage there.

But we’re not all like China and what will China do when it runs out of willing peasants? If anything China illustrates my point, only a certain percentage of the global population is required to do all the manufacturing.

If anything it’s becoming more acceptable to prefer part time work if all the peak lifestyle requirements are financially covered.

I’d happily work part time. It’s the stuff I do in my free time that’s probably of more benefit to society.

I was told today in team meeting by manager that we are now entitled to a paid weeks holiday for self-improvement due to introduction of a new state law.

All production is centered in China because China isn’t a democracy and is happy to turn the population in to serfs and when they run out of people they’ll just allow more children to be born. A farmer makes a decision whether to take a profit on a Heifer or turn her in to a cow.

In reposnse to all those people saying Ireland isn’t that bad I could liken that to saying "My master only beats me occasionally