Universal Basic Income - Who Pays?

globalisim

The eagle has landed

‘Government Artists’ used to be a euphemism for dole spongers, from ‘drawing the dole’ I think. Guess this means we will have a much larger cohort of artists from now on.

Nothing ‘Universal’ about this is though.

Not yet, but it is only a matter of time before they give up on trying to get the unemployable to “seek employment” when it’s clearly in their interests to stay on benefits. UBI will benefit those who have insecure income the most as they won’t have to constantly sing on and off the dole between gigs.

The Govt gave up on the unemployable decades ago. They just moved most of them to Disability to do away with the charade of seeking employment every few months.

So I can quit my job and still make 200-276 a week for being an artist i.e. permanently unemployed

As opposed to 500+ if you’re in a decent job, I know what I would prefer.

:joy::joy::joy:

I hope they’ll all collectively stop singing/writing/painting about bleedin austerity once this is rolled out. But couldn’t be certain of it.

UBI is getting closer (both geographically & politically) as we speak, getting more inevitable as jobs are getting scarcer and “unemployment” figures get too high and politically unacceptable.

About - Basic Income Ireland

Basic Income Ireland is a campaign group and network of people working towards one simple mission: make universal basic income a reality in Ireland.

We are the Irish national affiliate of the Basic Income Earth Network.

Who is bankrolling this crowd? :sweat_smile:

Well, it’s fair to say it won’t be a million miles away from those NGOs lobbying the Government night and day on migration

There is a also a case for extending a full basic income to everyone resident in Ireland. Experience shows that most immigrants are industrious and law-abiding. If they had a full basic income, this would allow them to participate openly in economic and social life, to pay taxes and to add value to society and the economy in all sorts of creative ways. Many poor immigrants, especially those undocumented in a state, are extremely vulnerable and open to exploitation. If they were to receive basic financial security, the possibilities for their exploitation would be reduced.

Many members of Basic Income Ireland also think that basic income could replace the current system of direct provision for asylum seekers. This is of course part of a broader political issue.

If someone is receiving UBI (such as the dole) and won’t try to find work, then what?

If everyone gets UBI then can the minimum wage be lowered, or taxed more?

UBI is supposed to replace all benefits, up to and including pensions.
So a recipient is not obliged to seek employment, what it means in reality is that will have a lower standard of living relative to anyone in paid employment.

I would imagine so as all income earned above the UBI baseline will be extra income that could be taxed using a graduated scale to encourage people to actually seek work to improve their standards of living.

It will avoid the classic benefit trap where someone finds a job and their benefit is withdrawn and they find that they’re working 20 hours a week and having less money in their pockets.

I think the biggest obstacle was how to avoid UBI (welfare) tourism, our population density would change markedly.

Simple answer to that is their country of birth pays their UBI.
That would kill off migrant benefit (UBI) tourism completely.

This is Ireland. UBI will be introduced but a raft of other benefits will remain that get added on top.
It’s just a trojan horse to transfer more wealth from workers to non workers

The pilot will begin in January and will also run in a number of countries, including the US, the UK and New Zealand, coordinated by the Four Day Week Global group.

In other countries, including Spain and Scotland, four-day working weeks have already been developed and are being trialled.

The movement believes the last year has provided workers and employers with an opportunity to consider the way they work, leading many to rethink and alter how they do things, including the possibility of moving to a four-day week.

It can also bring physical and mental health benefits and improve a business’s sustainability credentials.