Unofficial NAMA Referendum.

It has become been obvious in the past few weeks that the government are not going to change their course of action in relation to NAMA despite the majoroity of opinion pieces in the papers voicing concerns, criticism of the scheme from academics and the general public showing no interest in the scheme.

Thus, how can we get the government to alter their course? I suggest that on the 2nd of October, when voting on the refreendum that each person should place a very small of paper inside their ballot paper stating “No to NAMA”. It would essentially be unofficial referendum.

I don’t think that by acting in such a manner that that your vote will be regarded as spoilt. Moreover, the piece of paper should be so small that it will become separated from the ballot paper.

too complicated and easy to ignore to be in any way effective

Just vote No to Lisbon instead.

Same essential result, fall of current Government.

plus it’s probably illegal and a returning officer has the power to have you arrested on the spot

I still think the opposition could stop it if they wanted. They just declare that, as the government in waiting, they will undo it with constitutional changes if need be when they gain power. Whether they are elected the next government, or can legally undo the legislation will be irrelevant. It will have the effect that nobody will invest in any irish bank and whole house of cards will come crashing down.

Anybody else feel liking voting No to lisbon in order to try to scupper NAMA? The thought is becoming more appealing to me each day!

In a moment of clarity out of a drunken haze over the weekend I came to exactly this point.

Which of these are we ?

• Irish patriot, or
  • European

Despite all the FUD, in the grand scheme of things, us voting No to Lisbon matters the square root of fuckall to Europe. They’ll have another summit & it’ll become the ‘xxxx Treaty’ in a years time.

The present imminent threat to our Nation is that NAMA will be passed & we’ll all be sold down the river.

Compared to that, the pain of voting no to Lisbon is irrelevant !

NO TO LISBON, NO TO FIANNA FAIL, NO TO NAMA !!!

I was adamant that I would keep the two issues separate but I’m reaching desperation point at this stage. I really don’t want to conflate the two issues but sometimes you have to make unpalatable decisions.

Yep, cause you can be fuckin sure FF ain’t gonna give us a chance to reject it.

And you can be sure that even if they did, they’d just ask us the same question again until we gave the right answer.

This Government has to be taken down, & marching in the street isn’t going to do the trick, & the opposition has some bullshit idea that kissing ass in Europe is the right thing to do. Probably because as far as any politician is concerned a job in Europe is closest they’ll ever get to heaven.

I have so much to say about the events of today, it becomes impossible to put it down onto paper.

I will say this though, this is a very important day for the irish political structure and i believe will be a reference point for years to come.

I think the republic of ireland really has to stand up and be counted today, say enough is enough.
I fear, and believe, that you won’t. you’ll roll with it, you irish always do. CJ taught you that.

I feel sad today, but hope against hope that the populous of this country grow a pair and stop this nonsense.

Vote no for Europe. its our only weapon
I will NEVER vote green or FF ever.ever.ever if the green party do not stop this.

Open your eyes people. This country has just loaded the gun and stuck it in its mouth.
Do not let them pull the trigger…

+1e9

don’t you mean +€77e9 ? :mrgreen:

I do think that a no to Lisbon is pushing the nuclear button, I will think long and hard about it. By the time a third referendum could be run the tories would be in government in Britain, if we haven’t endorsed the treaty at that stage then they will hold a referendum and that is not gonna pass. A no now will be much more significant for the European project.

The French & Dutch have already rejected this treaty, what difference did that make ?

Besides, you couldn’t get a rizzla paper between the positions of the Tories & ‘New’ Labour these days.

If in a Democracy a vote gets rejected, doesn’t that mean anything any more ?

A referendum on the Lisbon treaty is a central tenet of tory policy. They will have a referendum if we reject it this time. I think that the project can continue if it is just Ireland that has rejected it but its a completely different matter if the UK reject it. Just something to bear in mind.

I am contemplating a no vote though.

yeah I mean what the hell we can vote no to lisbon and yes to Berlin/Paris/whereverthenexttreatywillbenamedafter :smiley:
How dangerous is it Voting No to Lisbon? Genuine Question…if ECB funding is cut then what the hell - we face up to our problems quicker

Yep, and lowering taxes is as well.

Doesn’t mean there’s a snowballs chance in hell of either happening.

If we say No to Lisbon, that’s it for Lisbon. They’ll have to create a new treaty & then we go thru the same dog & pony show again. But all that’s irrelevant as we’ll have a new Government by then & I’d vote yes to any piece of shit treaty they throw in front of me !!

NO TO LISBON , NO TO FIANNA FAIL, NO TO NAMA !!!

For those who will vote yes to Lisbon but who oppose NAMA and all it represents - it seems like an inspired idea. But you would need thousands upon thousands of these type of votes for officialdom to sit up and take notice.

And anyway, maybe it’s too late now anyway. :frowning:

Thats another reason to think of it as a nuclear option.

Do they need to fund us to protect the Euro?

This is like the the Brians claiming we need to protect the Bank bond holders or else our international reputation will be damaged.

The ECB isn’t about to change the rules over a poxy €77B !