Urban v Rural

Grew up urban to the point that I learned to drive finally at 33.

Moved to semi-rural (environs of Tullamore) about 8 years ago. Love it.

Have the advantage of working from home so no commute to think about. Mind you, when I lived in Dublin my public transport commute was 1.5 hours each way…

Also have the advantage that Mrs. YM is from Tullamore, so she fit in easily. I reckon it would be harder if at least part of you were not local.

As they say about everything else, there’s always renting for a year to see what you think of it…

@Kate P are you thinking of schuhart?

Really curious to know what kind of journey within Dubllin took 1.5 hours each way? (Then again I suppose 8 years ago was pre-LUAS, pre-QBC - but even still, that was a hell of a commute and would be highly unusual for Dublin.)

I travel from Santry to Clonskeagh, takes 1.5 hours rush hour, you leave earlier 40-50 minutes.

The catholic/ GAA thing would put me off rural locations too.

I don’t think a 1.5 hour commute in Dublin was unusual in the tigar years. Mine was a minimum of an hour to the city centre from Lucan and tat was with sirt walks at both ends but lots took longer from Tallaght or south Dublin where the traffic was worse. If I had then to get a second bus out of town the sky would be the limit.

Milltown to Dublin airport:
Milltown to Stephen’s Green - 25 minutes - buy a ticket (because there are no monthly passes :unamused: ), hang around, etc.
Stephen’s Green waiting for the Aircoach - 10 minutes minimum
Dublin Airport - never less than 40 minutes
Ten minute walk at the airport.

Pre-Luas it took closer to two hours - Aircoach to/from Donnybrook Garage.
Pre-Aircoach, relying on CIE/the 747 it was quicker to walk into town (40 minutes), stand around (always 20 minutes no matter what time the 747 was due) and endure the abuse from the driver.

+1. You’re thinking of Schuhart.

I am in the very fortunate position that I can look at doing both. Hunting for the Dublin property now and hopefully a place in Wicklow.

It helps that I enjoy driving, am from the country but need to have access to the benefits of Dublin (culture, food, sea, social).

What ever you do, stay away from Dublin. The most horribleness, nastiness people you can meet.

Great discussion! We moved from Dublin to the country 5 years ago and haven’t looked back, we’re really happy here. In my experience, it helps to have children as all of the friends/acquaintances we have made since we moved have been through the school and other activities the kids are involved in (sport, music etc.) It takes people a while to “accept” you but we have felt very welcomed for the most part and are now part of the furniture! We live a bit less than a mile from the nearest village (main road is too dangerous for the kids to walk on their own though) and about 15 minutes from 2 towns. Agree with Coles 2 that it helps when it is seen that you are willing to get involved in village life and that you make a contribution. It doesn’t matter how, it can be in any area you are interested in. I love being surrounded by greenery and lovely scenery and we have neighbours, but are not on top of eachother as in the estate we used to live in in Dublin. Winters are okay too, the kids loved being snowed in two years in a row and we managed to walk to the local shop for basics! It created a great community spirit. Having to drive to most places is a drawback, but you do get used to it. I don’t find people particularly nosey, it’s live and let live where we are. I did miss my friends a lot in the beginning, and also the nice trips to coffee shops that doubleglaze was talking about! But none of this is insurmountable and I have a few good friends who are willing to drive to meet me half way in a very nice coffee shop! Also I can go up to Dublin the odd time and stay over night with a friend and go to a film or play. If things change in the future (as they will for all of us) we can always sell or rent and move on.

Thanks. That’s exactly who I mean.

Anyone interested in urban and rural life should read his/her posts. They’re a challenge to those of us who think we’re doing the world a favour by living the good life.

You must be getting a fair bit on the social if you can afford two gaffs 8DD

Yes - everyone is on the ball this evening.

I wonder Yogi, are you a Tullamorian/Offalian after eight years? Or is it a nice place to live once you take the natives - apart from the ones you’re married to - with a pinch of salt?

I live outside my hometown, on an unofficial bypass, you could say. Sometimes it feels like a foreign country. I don’t do mass, or GAA, don’t socialize here and all the shops/library are on one street close to me so I don’t even need to go into the ‘town.’ I’m not really part of the community as such and the neighbours are Mr P’s, rather than mine.

There are great people here, but I’m not really part of it. I think I’d be a bit laissez faire wherever I lived.

I’ll always be blown-in :slight_smile: Same as everywhere else I’ve lived, though.

Likewise. I know more neighbours here than I did in any of the places I lived in Dublin, but I was practically blown-in there too having lived abroad for 16 years.

You can get lucky in the country, I did try it but it was too isolated but I think edge of town/village is the only way I’d ever go near the country again.
A couple of other things to consider.

Water - some supplies can be bad. collect rainwater.

Feuding neighbours - yeah I know very hick and all but it can be a pain if you find yourself living between relatives who aren’t even talking to each other. Renting in an area for a year should give you an idea of the local politics, plus what house you shouldn’t bid on if you want to avoid the wrath of some belligerent (think of The Field), stupid thing to have to consider but some places are a law unto themselves.

Don’t trust informal arrangements - Access and right of ways can become contentious if you are suddenly deemed as being unhelpful and awkward. Get legal matters resolved before any purchase. Knew a family who bought a plot off a farmer who assured them that the only traffic on the lane would be the annual harvest, two years later he opened a quarry and had trucks going up and down the lane all day; heaven became hell. They didn’t want to fight as the farmer was related to nearly everyone around so really as an outsider he just preferred to shut up and keep quiet.

As someone said stay apolitical as possible however this isn’t easy, someone might want to hunt through your land and if you object then everyone will want to know why you’re being unhelpful. Avoiding people with a grudge can be as stressful as feeling lost in an anonymous city environment. Renting for a year will help you figure out if the natives are restless.

The country side being a good place to raise kids has another side - there’s a strong drug culture in some rural communities with addiction support being hard to access. In the city you may direct your kids away from it but in some rural communities it can be very pervasive and hard to escape. Get involved with organising alternative activities as Coles does to counteract this. Again renting can help figure this out.

There’s going to be massive farm amalgamations in the near future, a lot of farmers heading for retirement with few coming behind them so be mindful of nearby farming activity, you might find your house becoming an Island in a vast harvest landscape or your access route being shared with a super dairy. Another reason to stay closer to towns/villages as you’ll have more support for establishing buffer zones etc.

I’m not trying to put anyone off, summer in the countryside can be glorious but living there fulltime has its downsides too. Actually just remembering that a good summer in the countryside can be glorious but a wet one can be oppressive. I know some families who moved to the countryside thinking that their kids would have the freedom of the countryside to explore but actually found their kids spending even more time playing video games than when they lived in urban estates with their friends.

I have seen research that confirmed rural living in Ireland to be unhealthier than urban living. Can’t find it right now but it seems to be a worldwide phenomenom:

online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 … 81806.html
*Unhealthy habits can start early. Rural children aged 2 to 5 are nearly twice as likely as urban kids to consume more than 24 ounces of sweetened beverages a day, according to a report last year from the South Carolina Health Research Center.
From age 6 to 11, rural kids consume on average 80 grams of fat a day, compared to 73 grams for urban children. Patterns of TV watching and physical inactivity are roughly similar between the two groups.
The nationwide problem with obesity hits rural areas hardest. Overall, 19% of rural children aged 2 to 19 are obese, and 36% of them are overweight, according to the center’s report. By comparison, 15% of urban kids the same age are obese, and 30% are overweight. *

Ireland is not the USA. I don’t think you should take this report as ‘confirming’ anything really. Except this bit, of course… :wink:

To be sure, city dwellers live with more air pollution and violent crime. They also have higher rates of sexually transmitted diseases and low-birth-weight babies and are more likely to drink excessively…

Perhaps urban kids don’t put on the pounds due to having so much violent unprotected sex while under the influence of alcohol?

Thats the secret to my weight loss, cheaper than the gym too :smiley:

+infinity.

To be fair, I was too strong in my opinion there. Not all of Dublin people are nasty.

gro-scotland.gov.uk/files2/s … 7-2009.pdf

In Scotland: