Urban v Rural

I’m reminded a little of:

Recent post from the Irish Libertarian and IBEC lobbyist Gerard O’Neill here - Cities Make You Smart

+1 I’m also interested. I had the whole family up at 3am on top of Howth hill to watch the Venus transit but bad weather ment it was a no show.

Also interested!

That’s a nice story and I’m sure everyone here wishes you the very best. Just wondering if you have kids or are planning to in the future? (Also, I think the GAA thing is very strong in some rural parts, maybe not so strong in others. Not so long ago I drove through a village/hamlet in Meath and every single house had the county flag flying outside it. I’d hate to be the odd one out!)

Cork is a great city and a great county. Beats the pants off Dublin. Up the rebels!

I did give it some thought, which is good considering it is the reality for the next twenty odd years.

I’ve just gone from being twenty minute walk away, but though we were in a quite decent area, we just hated the place itself. Apart from that, I love the psychological and physical distance I now have from my work. You may read into that.

There’s also a long-term strategic reason for locating where we are; to do with work, but I won’t divulge.

In the past I’ve had horrible commutes - Totteridge and Whetstone to Liverpool St., for example. And in the past I’ve also lived in workplaces. I’ve done it all !

About a third of it is on back roads. I don’t know what makes a ‘‘long’’ commute long. I just bumble away to and fro, I don’t have a big or even comfortable car, don’t particularly like driving as such, and I don’t feel the need to break the speed limit just to get the tv remote in my paw half an hour sooner than most. I like my own company anyway.

Sorry, I did mean to say that, as it is indeed crucial - no kids and no desire to have kids. That would have I think changed the whole game.

The odd one out thing is interesting alright, and I hadn’t thought much about it. Here there are GAA flags absolutely everywhere. That’s grand as I’m hurling mad, being from Kilkenny. I am however in Tipp. :laughing:

But I do know the feeling in a way, because the sight of Munster Rugby flags, especially in that kind of campanilismo way they use them in O’Connell St., Limerick, really wears me out. My prejudice, obviously.

I like commuting by car. You get to do a whole lot of things that you wouldn’t have time for otherwise – make a few phone calls, eat breakfast/lunch, catch up on the news, listen to your favourite podcasts, have the iPad or Kindle read study material to you. And that’s before you listen to a note of music, or just watch the world and the beautiful scenery go by. The possibilities are endless.

I agree. Commuting by car is quite relaxing once you don’t have to deal with any traffic hold ups. I always found it a great way to listen to newer albums that I don’t really set time aside for now that I use the luas.

Been there, done that. Give me a 15 minute walk to work anyday.

Totally agree, commuted for years, never again.

Seems from reading the replys that you either prefer rural or urban lifestyle and that there is no better, just one is better for an individual. Personaly I much prefer urban life. I was brought up in Killiney and he even living there would not be urban enough for me, It would still be a 50min door to door comute to work in town which I still think is a long commute and it does not have a village, most services there is a car journey away. I much prefer having shops pubs etc with in a short walk. I now live in Rathmines and I love it, less than a 10 min cycle to work and its a decent size town with in a few mins walk. I could never see myself moving from this sort of urban living.

A chauffeur makes all things easier, of course.

:nin

Being a driver gives you a greater sense of control over your transport - I used to hate the ‘leaves on the line’ lark with the train. A commute is extra work time, it reduces your hourly income and unless you can concentrate on doing something while commuting, on a long bus journey or seated on a train, it may be comfy downtime, but dashboard dining is a crime against the soul. I do it often enough to know.

Usually on a Sunday evening I fill the car. In a busy week - when I don’t get to work from home, it’s seventy quid. Add that to an hourly rate for work and commuting makes no sense, apart from the fact it necessarily gets me from A to B. The cost to me of spending an hour, or sometimes three or four on the road in a day is one of the great downsides to life. I have to earn the cost of going to work before I go, and the cost of the work I can’t do when I’m on the road.

I rarely arrive anywhere refreshed after a drive, even if it’s with decent music or no noise at all in the car. That said, I like that driving gets me from A to B and it’s quiet time on my own. But it’s not leisure, and if I can get out of it, I will.

As requested: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=45600

Funny thing I now cycle to work - takes about 5 minutes as the place is less than a km away.
I miss driving mainly because it is the only time I get to listen to music.

A 20 minute drive would be ideal I think.

A 40min commute each way would be too much I reckon but that is shorter than a bus from Lucan/Tallaght (and plenty of other suburbs) to the city center not including time to get to the bus stop & wait. Plenty of people in Dublin doing more than an hour on public transport.

You’re kidding?

Trying to eat whilst driving is like trying to peel an orange in your pocket, It’s a challenge too far to your dexterity and can only lead to gastronomic disappointment, a grubby steering wheel and increased laundry bills.

Or a trip to A+E :unamused:

ps200306’s points maybe makes sense if you’ve no ability to set boundaries or control your discretionary time. Like the way some people get a degree while they’re in jail that they would never have done on the outside. Hardly makes jail a generally good place to be though. I’d see it much the same with a driving commute.

Commuting can be exhilarating!

:open_mouth:

I’m not suggesting you can eat a sizzling steak with pepper sauce. Sarnies are usually ok if you choose the filling carefully. A whole range of other things too. I predict there will be a Jamie Oliver programme about it sometime. You heard it here first.