Urban v Rural

You can cook while you drive if you’re prepared!

I heard about those before. Sounds grand if you like the prospect of diesel-fume-flavour pot noodle. 8DD

I think this is what you’re looking for.

When you think about it having tin foil and a gutting knife in the car can be really useful for roadkill!

And for that, you want [*this one. * (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Quick-Fix-Cooking-Roadkill-Buck-Peterson/dp/0740791303/ref=pd_sim_b_2)

“Come Dine with Me” recently had someone who was into eating road kill. I assumed they were making it up! :open_mouth:

There is a US TV Show called “Bizarre Foods” where the host attended a road kill cook off festival in somewhere like Tennessee

We ate in a place called Linger Lodge in Florida a few years.Their motto is
“Cooked Straight from your grille to ours”

Im now about 6 months in to my move to the country side from suburbia and so far it has been nothing short of fantastic.

While we are not isolated, I have a 10 minute walk to the local boozer and 10 minute drive to a large town, to have the feeling of space is refreshing.

My commute to work has gone from about 15-20 mins to about 45 mins but increasingly I can work from home or will be out and about with work so this isn’t an issue.

Having a totally uncommercial beach on your doorstep for walking the dog and clearing the head after a days work is priceless.

As for the parochial and clique nature of country life, I was prepared for this any it isn’t a negative unless you want to be introverted. A couple of weeks after moving in to the area I popped down to the boozer on my own on a saturday evening and by the end of the night I had met and been introduced to plenty people from all walks of life. The fact that I have quite a long history in junior soccer in the dublin area meant that I have been encouraged to lend a hand locally … but that is something I love doing and I have found it a great avenue to meeting people wherever you are. I don’t play golf and despise the whole golf-club scene so football gives me another social outlet.

I ended up leaving the pub at an insane time and stumbling home … the missus reckons she will have to have a veto on when I can go to the pub!!!

Myself and the wife had been thinking about and planning this move for a good few years and made sure we were prepared. We have rented in the area to make sure it was actually what we wanted.

Very interesting account. Thanks.

Any financial benifits from the move? Will you be mortgage-free at a younger age for example?

Financial benefits? Childcare for one is about 55% - 60% of the cost in the dublin area. The other one is that I can actually afford the house I want rather than a shoebox in dublin.

I find that with household groceries you become more disciplined and rarely if ever do I find myself picking stuff up in convenience stores, motor insurance is cheaper.

The cost of commuting is about neutral, mainly due to the fact that I swapped my gas gussling (fun) car for a practical eco family wagon …

I didn’t make the move for financial reasons, the thoughts of having to heat and maintain a house three times the size of my previous house and a half acre garden to upkeep will be a pain in the neck … but I’m more than willing.

I will be mortgage free at the same time I would have been if I didn’t move.

anyway, you can’t put a cost on mental wellbeing and being happy in your surroundings.

Childcare costs may be cheaper but if your children go to third level education it will most likely be more expensive if they can’t stay at home. That’s another advantage of urban living, obviously with the bigger cities having most choice - access to third level education for your kids that also allows the financial saving of having them continue to live at home.

Having your kids stay at home through college can be expensive too! The difference will be between the cost of commuting from home and renting. Despite being from Dublin & going to college in Dublin I moved out and was lucky enough to get some part time jobs while at college. In fact for the first year I stayed at home & the commute was hell it involved getting two buses (into town and back out) or cut through a “shortcut” that involved 3 buses. Slight shorter but both ways took an hour and a half to two hours commute.

The second time in college as a mature student I had the advantage of having some savings from working. If you can`t afford to send the kids to college immediately they can always work for a few years and start college as a mature student.

In fact thinking about the commute to college the first time round reminds me that if you work on the outskirts of Dublin you would have a short commute and have a bigger house with a smaller mortgage if you lived in the countryside.
There are plenty of business parks on the outskirts

:confused: Cost of commuting v. cost of renting - living in the outskirts of a city? Taking Dublin as an example you’re realistically talking a maximum of a two bus commute - the 3 bus thing is highly unusual - (and if your college is in the city centre it’s more likely to only require one bus). That’s about €4 each way every day i.e. €8 a day and cheaper if you buy student travel tickets etc. Throw in the cost of lunch in subsidised canteen (though students can bring packed lunches to college!) and you’d get by on around €13 - €15 per day. I can’t see how that could be anywhere near the cost of renting! Renting also means food and bills costs too. Great if you can get a part-time job but that’s not always easy and it can have a detrimental effect on studies too if long/ antisocial hours are required. When I was in college (in the 90s) the only people who could afford to live away from home which was regarded as a real luxury and far from a necessity if you were from the city your college was in, were either the wealthy or those on grants (or scholarships)…

So much for education broadening minds. No wonder we have school cliques perpetuated and domestically useless men if everyone lives at home with mammy 'til their early twenties. It is also a very Dublin-centric view - the choice available in Dublin means it is feasible to think about living at home.

I remember back in the 80s one guy headed off to do electrical engineering in a poly in Manchester, they didn’t take summer holidays so he saved a year in study costs and was working and out of debt before he mates had finished their courses in Ireland.

Uh, I’m not saying that one SHOULD go to college in one’s own city. :unamused: Obviously, if you can afford it and you have a choice and you have a good reason for doing so given what you want to study, all third level options should be considered. But as you say, the fact that there is good third level education available in ANY city regardless of where it is in the world, is an advantage to families who live in that city financially because it means that the additional cost of accommodation etc. for students can be saved.

And education in and of itself broadens the mind! As can travel. And it’s not necessary to do both simultaneously for that ‘broadening’ of the mind to occur. What is necessary is an intellectual mind that is capapble of broadening and that’s not determined by where you live, even if it is ‘at home with mammy’ in your early 20s. **Also my ‘Mammy’ happens to be one of the most intellectual people I know fwiw. **

In short, I was only pointing out that having third-level education available closeby was another advantage (if only financial) of urban v. rural living.

But it is not available in ANY city - it is mostly available in Dublin, then Cork…

edit: and there’s more to ‘urban’ than living in a city (just as there’s more to ‘rural’ than living in the arse end of nowhere :slight_smile:

UL has some good courses I’ve heard. And there’s Queens in Belfast. Careful now or you’ll have the loyal alumni of various Irish third level institutions down on your head! :wink:

In a small country like Ireland though, Dublin is generally ahead of the other smaller cities in terms of size and facilities etc. That’s just down to population and pragmatism really.

I think you took me up wrongly. I meant any hypothetical ‘city with decent third level education options available’ - i.e. that there would be two necessary conditions for the financial saving/ advantage to be made.