We make the front of the WSJ (AGAIN)

Headline
Ireland Portugal fuel regional woes

online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 … lenews_wsj

Strange machiavellian feel to it all.

Conspiracies aside, anyone any idea how long this can be dragged out for?
I naively thought this would come to a head last May but more and more it looks like they (FF) might manage to make the country pay these reparations over the next 20 years.

Incidentally I came across the end of a Brian Lenihan interview on BBC news around 6:40pm today. Did anyone catch it?

Wasn’t Ireland one of the first if not the first western economy into recession? Although we’re not technically in a double dip yet here, and I know we’re only a small drop in the ocean, but would anyone consider Ireland a leading indicator of where the global market is heading? (seeing as we’re so dependent on the multinationals)

I doubt that, Ireland has been laging all the way if anything. Clearly Europe has been pulling the strings for ages now, and slow capitulation and backtracking over anglo and the other golden circles will emerge, as there is confirmation that it’s ‘come out with your hands up’.

The double dip is propaganda, This Is A Depression. :frowning:

I don’t disagree. I did say technically :wink:

Front page of WSJ (paragraph 4, probably above-the-fold):

:angry:

That said, things could change when the Tuam Herald early editions hit.

I for one believe in FF’s leadership ability and I believe that they can and will be re-elected to lead us all (down a black-hole) for the next couple of decades. Because that is the caliber of politican we are dealing with. And it is also the caliber of electorate we’re dealing with. The campaign to re-elect FF starts here!

What to do? The enemy is within (electorate and FF and probably FG and Labour too) and outside Europe and the costs that are put on us to borrow. Really is there anything we can do besides use of emoticons to show our disgust or hopelessness?

Without blaming is there anything to do other than waiting it out

Some would say that we should take to the streets like the Greeks and Icelanders. While I have some sympathy with this (I believe as a nation we are too eager to bend over), I’m not entirely sure what it would achieve. We might oust the incumbents, getting some fresh air while we are at it, but I have just as little faith in the other parties as government material.

I have to agree with you on not seeing anything from the opposition parties

Whats the general opinion on the best way out for us as a whole not individuals? Default on debt? Leave the EU for our own currency? Hope the rest of the world tags recovers and we somehow tread water until then? Even more cuts in spending? New govt?

I know I can sit back and see a lot of wrong things done but my brain cant get around a way out of it on the whole for the country. I think the issue and perhaps this whole site now is beyond the housing problem. I think we know what has pushed us beyond problems in most of the world was housing, building buying and selling. Without blaming the past and taking the situation as it is now what can be done. I certainly cant figure it out

I like to think of it like this:

The Irish economy is a complex machine with a number of levers & switches some of which we have control over and others which we don’t. The result of tugging any given lever is non-linear and time delayed. Tugging a lever affects the position and range of motion of all the other levers in complex ways. Move a lever too far one way or the other and the whole machine explodes, killing everyone within 1000km.

Right now, this Machine is being operated by someone who hasn’t read the manual because it’s 10,000 pages long and written in Japanese.

I’m not sure it matters which lever(s) we pull, because the current operator isn’t up to the task of managing the results / side-effects.

Wibbler

With that last sentence in mind (and I agree whole heartedly) can I remind you that the manager of this worker i.e. the electorate voted this imbecile into his job whether we like it or not so their capabilities have to be called into question. The reason being they elected this guy based on what he said he could do and not what he could actually do. I.e. they made promises and the public naively believed them because these promises sated the greed shown by the general populace for more tax cuts and higher incomes etc etc.

I forgot to mention that the operator has both hands tied behind his back. It’s an impossible job, but thank God it pays well.

I can’t argue with your point that the (royal) we only have ourselves to blame.

So a change in govt is what you think is the way forward. Do you see anyone in Irish politics that can guide us out

I think that some seriously unpopular decisions have to be made and whoever goes in and makes the right ones may be comitting political suicide in the short term. I have always felt politics in this country meant to get in and do whatever it takes to stay in for as long as possible. We dont have any patriots that are willing to take a hit for the progression of the country.

We are fed a constant stream of Jackie Healy Raes and Flynn-coopers

And thats why FF have both hands in their pockets instead of on the wheel because the only people who will take the hard decisions and get away with it are people who dont live here i.e. the IMF. If they come in and make the hard decisions for the country then all political parties will be able to point the finger somewhere else. I agree with you by the way there are nothing but a plethora gombeens running the country into the ground with not a care save for their own little schemes.

online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 … opWhatNews

And hunt for a bottom he did.

and ( plenty in this)