We’re not fucking nationalising Anglo

sbpost.ie/newsfeatures/the-4 … 44623.html

And fuck those pally shareholders in Anglo? No way dude.

Great article, and it just reinforces my view that the government is more incompetent than corrupt. The arrogance of thinking that they can make these huge decisions themselves without the help of financial experts is astounding. Any successful financial trading company has a whole team of super smart guys who they can call on at any time for advice. Cowen made this astronomical decision after only consulting the banks (his opponents) and a handful of his buddies.

Also, on a different note, it is very very depressing to read the very last line of the article:
“September 16: The Minister for Finance unveils the Nama bill: the state will pay around €54 billion for loans that the state currently values at €77 billion.”*

How can a journalist who works for a business newspaper write this? And how the fuck can her editor allow this to be printed? Surely NAMA is the single most important issue that every business journalist needs to understand? It exposes a complete lack of interest in what’s going on.

I suspect it is a type and should either read:
“that the state currently values at 47 billion”
or
“that the banks currently value at 77 billion”

Given the ‘s’ in values, implying the subject is singular, I suspect the former, but that may just be auto-grammar correction…

Generous of you, YM, but it’s more likely that the journalist was lazy, incompetent, or obsequious. The profession has been bereft of enough brave and stubborn people to make journalism a noble word again. (Please, brave and noble journalists out there, prove me wrong!)

Excellent article but the Lenny speaks French thing is there again

"Lenihan called Christine Lagarde, the French finance minister and head of the EU’s council of finance ministers, and Jean-Claude Juncker in Luxembourg, chair of the euro zone group of finance ministers, and briefed them, speaking in fluent French. "

I presume that he wasn’t speaking in unfluent French

If anglo had been nationalised back then, the Maple 10 would have been on the hook for their debts. iirc their loans were changed to non-recourse after the guarantee, is this right?

“Free marketeers” decide whats best for everyone especially themselves shocker.

Wake up people

Now you tell us?!?

What does “fluent” French mean exactly? Why is it relevant? Why did the journalist report it and how did the journalist find out to report it in the first place?

I personally have some difficulty believing that BL’s French was sufficiently fluent to have a nuanced conversation with Ms. Lagarde.

:laughing:
“Je suis Lenny, comment s’appelle tu? Je suis le finance minister de Irelande. Je voudrais guarantee les banks tout-suite. Merci pour votre ecouter.”

Qui sais?

It’s been reported and vaunted before, prior to all the merde hitting the fan.

C’est pas impossible…

The thing about speaking in French is I think it was an indulgence at an important time. Especially with Christine Lagarde who is on record that she prefers to do business in English.

I’m happy for Brian that he speaks French (Pat Cox has almost build a career on it) but even if the other Irish people on the call spoke some French, they needed to understand 100 per cent of what Lenny was saying … not just un peu.

S’il essaye de parler Francais chez moi je vais le claquer forcement a la guele , quel salop :frowning:

On the issue of lennie speaking french … why does the image of Derek Trotter keep springing to mind ?

You think Brian Lenihan is a slut? He might be alot of things but let’s keep to the politics!

“Ou est le centre de George Pompidou?
agus cé mhéad atá an peann dearg?”

-Rd

You know, I think somebody misheard…as per usual Lenny was speaking effluent

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Maybe if the PWC report had been written in French he’d’ve bothered his b0ll1x reading it and we wouldn’t be in this mess