We really do not get value for money

Opinion in the Indo.

independent.ie/opinion/lette … 61990.html

Some of us were beating this drum on Askaboutmoney years ago, and of course were routinely ridiculed for it, by the same people who shut down discussion of house prices.

Although most threads never got as far as debating the merits of the points made, instead they were quickly turned into pedantic arguments about the definition of the word Rip-Off.

That’s one way of stopping people making valid points that you don’t like. The other would be to ban them from posting altoghether. … Oh wait…

-Rd

i thought you were talking about the indo.

I agree with the sentiment, but the argument is poorly made. Visiting the US for three weeks and concluding that the medical system “works a treat” over there? They might want to look again. Similarly for the “reward for service” argument.

The weak dollar makes this kind of comparison rather meaningless. For a better comparison of value for money, you don’t have to go any further than the majority of the other eurozone countries on the continent.

I don’t know jost I’d argue the medical thing a bit further. I’d love unversial coverage but we don’t have that but a big portion of the tax take from me goes toward the health service. If you were to equate like with like and work out how much I was paying in VIvas + Health Taxes, I’d be surprised if just paying expensive private health insurance wouldn’t be better.

Our system is completely broken. Incidentally I’ve read of systems with totally private providers and universal coverage that seemed to work well. Must figure out where I read that.

On the other issue do you really think that tipping doesn’t lead to better service?

the best health system I experienced was the German one. the French one is good but effectively bankrupt. Interestingly enough, the French put less per capita into the health system than the US does and even though the system is currently costing them a fortune, it is more efficient than the US system and is universal. A lot of Americans are questioning the wisdom of being against universal healthcare by comparison.

The problem with the German one was that it worked on the principle of mandatory health insurance. You try suggesting that to people here and they get very upset by the word mandatory. But it worked and it was efficient and it covered a hell of a lot more than the private health insurance packages here as in it covered specs and dental care, for example.

the Belgian one wasn’t too bad either - it worked on the principle of you paid a bit and the state paid a bit and you could get insurance to cover the bit that the state didn’t cover. I never came into contact with it but most people who did that I know found it pretty decent.

The UK one is nice in principle but I’m hearing worrying things about homeopathy being sanctioned by the NHS…

They can save way more money by sending people there instead of giving them actual treatment by medical services. And it satisfies the PC/left leanings of the UK.

I take issue with the idea that a tip should be mandatory, regardless of the quality of service, which I have generally found is the expectation in the US. I don’t believe that kind of tipping policy leads to better service. On the other hand I do believe in rewarding good service with a good tip. But this is probably an argument for a different forum :smiley: