What else has crashed besides Property

I have a passing interest in Boats and from what I am seeing that market has certainly dropped if not crashed. So besides houses, what else has dropped significantly??? Horses, skis??

Anecdotal evidence - Smithfield Horse Fair etc of lots of horses being dumped (racing syndicates and “Daddy can I have a pony” types have both taken a hammering

Dogs. My parents Brought a German Shepard in 2005 for €550 with KC papers. Unfortunately he died this summer and they just replaced him with a new Sheppard pup with the KC papers for €250.

in rural areas a lot of the money being generated from selling sites or building houses inflated some pretty odd bubbles. Vintage tractors, 4x4s, horses, and anecdotally, even donkeys!

Golf club memberships…

Helicopter rides for birthdays etc ??? never did it so cant compare

Hotel Room Rates and Kids Birthday Party present values (down to €5 around my way)

Me (nearly) yesterday morning.

Watch those leaves on the ground people. They’re as bad as ice.
Not joking either.

fairly obvious this one - cars.
big engined petrols bought for 130k in 07 can be had for 20k now. It always happened but the stupid tax system here has destroyed values for big engined cars - so much so that there is a healthy trade back to the UK and cars being shipped to Asia

Furniture

We kitted out our rental last year with a 3-seater couch, 2-seater couch and an armchair. The 2-seater was bought at a furniture auction for €90 while the 3 seater couch and armchair were from a local factory clearing for €260.

Lots of beauty treatments going for half price on MyDealPage.

Beauty parlours are full of chancers who typically charge upwards of €70 an hour for a massage in Galway City, where a qualified, experienced physiotherapist might only charge €50.

Don’t tell me it’s the overheads customers are paying for, because physios have the same overheads.

Actually had an excellent 1hr deep-tissue massage for €49 on Dawson st. Good deal in my book.

Pianos. The one I bought five years ago is now selling new for €3,500 less in the same shop. Back when I bought it the dealer said someone had come in the previous week and bought a hundred grand Steinway “D” as a pretty piece of furniture. Nobody in their house could play it.

Wages for people who are getting a new job.

Existing employees are retaining the old wage, and in many case this is why the employer is making them redundant. A new employee can then be hired, often at minimum wage.

In some cases, the employee is being replaced by free labour provided by jobbridge or other such schemes.

Apparently the scrap metal market has crashed. I was speaking with a guy yesterday who collects the stuff.

One reason was that there is very little metal wasted in building sites these days.

could u give me some examples there ? are we talking bmwers, mercs and the 4 wheel drives with the huge bull bars to mow dow pedestrians?

Not strictly true - a position has to be made redundant, not a person.
I don’t believe you can make someone redundant on a higher salary and rehire for the exact same position at a lower rate.
I don’t doubt that some companies are flirting with this practice.

Tips as in waitressing, I was talking to an acquaintance who told me tips are down about 10 to 15% in terms of what is left and the restaurant game where she is is off about 20%

Well, unless there is a major increase in the sale of new cars in the near future, the number of registered vehicles on the roads will soon drop rapidly by about 20-30% as all the “millenium” cars are scrapped as too expensive to repair!

Most cars are scrapped when they’re 10-15 years old.

I have to disagree with you. There is a few things going on here.
Certainly although roads in Ireland have improved somewhat over the last 10 years there are still many poor quality local and rural roads and this would have a significant impact on the need for repair of suspension related items.

However realistically, buying a new car hits you immediately with a large depreciation impact that is very very significant for the first 4 years.
Consider a fairly average medium sized car new is going to be costing you about 16,000 from the dealer then after 3 years, you’ve already been wiping off 2000 per year on depreciation in many cases.

So that’s 2,000 that you could be spending to carry out repairs on an old car.
My own rule of thumb (and I drive a 00 reg car by the way) is that if the cost of repairs exceeds 1/2 of the depreciation cost then I might, i.e. just might, consider replacing the vehicle.

At the moment, repair costs on my vehicle are running roughly about 500 euros per year. That’s still not breaking my upper limit.
So I’ll be keeping it going as long as it stays repairable.

I would say also that cars that were being built in the early 1990’s have got at least 20 year durability and robustness built into them. Car’s from the early 00’s onwards less so, sadly.