What is a good investment these days?

I’d also recommend to people taking the time to work through a finance text-book, to understand a little of the quantitative underpinnings of this stuff. It’s not going to give you an answer as to what to invest in, but it will give tools to allow you to evaluate what is and is not diversification. It’ll also give you an overview of how the markets and managed funds function (in the main). I felt I was knowledgeable about this stuff, until I started studying it properly. Berk and De Marzo’s text is quite approachable.
(Slasher’s post came in while I was composing: I’d second the recommendation for Malkiel’s book. I’ve read it and it’s good. Haven’t read Graham’s. Neither of those overlaps significantly with my recommendation, so it could be an interesting investment to buy all three and work through in parallel.
Also, the advice to look at final return after tax and fees is on the mark. In all investment decisions, it’s about finding the opportunities with the best Nett Present Value, and trying to factor risk into that in a reasonable/intelligent way… )

If you have 2.5% Gold I’d have to assume that 2.5% of your investments is not a trivial amount of money.
Do you ever think you’re being too hard on yourself and you should spend your money now and improve your living standards today.
There’s no pockets on a funeral shirt!

• 1 (preaching to the converted, except I have a newer car - 11 yrs old! :wink: )

Pity there wasn’t a bit more of this kind of advice going around when there was all that lolly sloghing around

I’ve had an interest in cars since I was a young fella - more Autocar Magazine than TopGear TBH :blush:
I finally bought something ‘nice’ about 3 years ago only to lose a dacent chunk in depreciation when sterling collapsed - thought I was being cute bringing it in from UK.

It wouldn’t have been so bad but I only ever used it at weekends (and didn’t keep it very long due to moving), from now on my boys toys will have to deliver more bang per buck

I drive a 19 year old car. Does me. Passed its NCT first time.

I’ve invested in precious metals and energy with a small amount in emerging markets, until I see the fundamentals change I’ll stay put.
I wouldnt be the best at looking after the pennies unfortunately, I think the whole monetary system will collapse and there’ll be mass starvation so I’ll enjoy the fruits while I can :stuck_out_tongue: 8DD

I’m on my third new car. I buy them new, drive them for eleven years, scrap them. Last year I bought number three (with scrappage deal) – a brand new, low-cost, lowest-road-tax, super efficient diesel. Didn’t stop me from getting some dirty looks from people takin’ me for some kind of Flash Harry. Swines!

longwavegroup.com/publicatio … ssue_1.pdf

Check out the Image on page 2 “Lifetime Economic, Financial and Investment Map”

We’re in Winter for sure right now so it’s precious metals for now, later going into real estate as it bottoms, the spike has yet to come in metals, sometime in 2013/14/15 change to real estate.

Cars…should be immune from this type of talk.
I too have a soft spot for cars. I hate when people assume that in order to be financially astute you need to drive a bucket of scrap.

…on the other hand, buying a nice Irish Car new is crazy as you are looking at 51% Tax off the bat. That is why they depreciate like crazy.
In most countries - nothing wrong with buying a nice car.

Example.
bought a brand new VW GTI in 2006…fully loaded for $24,900. (would run you 38000 EUROS!!!)
Chipped and a few other things - Very fast for under 26K
5 years of wonderful driving and 70K miles later…its still worth $15,000 all day long.

More expensive than bargain basment for sure…but the enjoyment I get from it means that I still consider it to extremely cheap motoring.

Don’t forget to invest in your health.

+1. Money’s no good without it. Chuck all the veg in your fridge into a liquidiser and make a smoothie - drink one a day to keep the big C at bay - if necessary, add apple juice to make it more palatable. It can even make raw brussels sprouts taste good! Also, downsize. Get rid of all your crap - sell it on eBay or whatever. Just think how much of your rent/mortgage is paid over just to store crap you’re never going to use.

I bought my jeep 4 years ago very much as a preparation for the collapse we’re experiencing now. I wanted a 4x4 that I could maintain and service myself, cheap parts, bomb proof engine that would run on any mix of diesel and veggie oil. I got it in from Japan with 10,000km on it and it was one of the best investments I ever made. Nothing else could possible suit my needs better. It’ll qualify as a vintage vehicle in a few years time so I’ll be able to tax and insure it for peanuts.

Hello? Smoothies? On an investment thread?

Take it to the piston (fired on vegetable oil, organic, reused) please.

Well on an investment level health care technology and services are ones to watch and not just the pharma.

Amazing advice, one and all!

Actually about a month ago I thought I would buy a new car. Put 20 k into an account to purchase with a trade in on the old one, and went to look at cars. Found the new cars were so overpriced and the second hand ones were exactly the same except less conspicuous which is good, and less worrying if you leave it somewhere. Spent less than 6k on an '08 with a trade in. So thrilled with it, said at the time this will last us ten yrs at least! Needed a 7 seater, hence the need to change cars. So true that past extravagance, greed and the need to be Flash Harry in the K club or whatever, is the whole crux of Ireland’s financial woes. We will turn into real Europeans if we resolve this issue as a nation!

Must read up on investment in the stock market.

Thank you for great replies, maybe we should all get together and put in some amount each and invest?!

I thought that only applies if you don’t use it as your primary car?

Very good point. I reflect on this from time-to-time. I do have a longer-term plan, so I feel I’m working towards something, but sense of security is what really drives me to care about money. Things weren’t too good for my family when I was a kid. We had to live in caravan for a few years and there were often times when my dad went snaring or mushrooming because we had no money to buy food. That experience left me with a psychological need to have some money squirreled away. I don’t love money for money’s sake, but I do get pleasure from knowing that I’m a long way from Struggle Street these days. Humble beginnings calibrated me to be happy with less. I like my life and am content. Spending more money for the sake of a flashier lifestyle has only modest appeal.

Isn’t the problem with security that it’s unattainable and the quest for it ultimately futile?

Perhaps, but there are different levels of insecurity. Knowing you would be able to survive for a good while on savings/current lifestyle provides a level of insulation from insecurity.

PS Thank High Noon. I might have to print that one out and staple it to my conservative forehead.

I wouldn’t be surprised at some fiscal tightening in the US coming up to the summer followed swiftly by a collapse of equities and PM’s and a surge in the $. A few months later Ben will say “I told you so” and announce QE3. In other words over the summer for PM’s, BTFD!! I’m planning on buying some options in PM miners during the summer.