What Retail-excellence thinks of Noonan’s claims.

I’m seeing and hearing of no surge myself. REI have their first Decemeber Trading statement earmarked for 13th if this month here.

Very difficult to get car parking in any of the Dublin Shopping centres at the weekend.

Newstalk commented this morningthat the shopping centres were mobbed at the weekend.

REI commentary is as believable as the CIF’s both orgainisation act on behalf of vested interests.

Would that be because it’s Christmas soon?

Hard to get parked leading up to xmas - hardly a first is it.

Do you know anyone who works in retail? They’ll tell you that you don’t look at the number of people, you look at the number and size of shopping bags.
In the absence of proper leisure facilities in Ireland people go to shopping centres instead even if they have no money to spend.
They’ll also know instantly as a customer is walking in the door if they’re going to spend cash or waste the shopping assistants time.

Absolutely correct every thing they say must be scrutinised from that viewpoint.

Plenty of bags around.

Even people standing in lines at the tills to pay.

Reminded me of the Celtic Tiger days

I was one of those cars parked in Dundrum on Saturday at 3pm.
No problem getting parking.

I did not buy anything other than coffee, as I was only there for a meeting.

Incidentally, if 200 cars are there for the cinema, does that count as retail spending ?

Link?

I was there at 9am thinking I’d get in and out early. Seems I wasn’t the only one thinking that as the queue to get in started on the main road.

noradsanta.org/en/ :stuck_out_tongue:

Hmmm, was there on Sunday for a few essentials in Tesco… and to get the 10c off per litre thing there (finishes 16th I think). Was very busy, loadsa bags about the centre. I don’t do coffee in Dundrum as much on weekends, it’s usually a bit packed, especially for my Sunday business post coffee. I bailed to Starbucks in Sandyford, though that’s got very busy past 2 weekends.

People will still want to shop in the lead up to Christmas. I don’t expect to see a shortage of people filling shopping centres this time of year. Blanch is equally as mental at the moment.

The point about some people having noting better to do is very valid though. Consumerism has become strongly embedded in the Irish psyche. If your not buying at least have a nose at what you’d like to be buying.

For the last 3 years in a row any kris kindles I’ve been involved in have seen their budgets reduced each year. So I’ll still be buying the same amount of presents this year but spending less.

+1

I was shopping outside Dublin on Saturday, very busy as I’d expect coming up to Xmas, but what surprised me were the reductions/sales. Shops selling off stock at 50%. I reckon I’ll also get my gifts this year for about 30% less than last year. Even dressing the kids this year cost me a lot less than last year.

I reckon we’ll see a lot of shops closing in the new year.

Shoppers have come to learn the longer they leave it the greater the discounts leading up to Christmas. So what does that leave for January sales?

There is only so long that can last before some retailers buckle as pre-christmas discounting has been a growing trend over the last few years and constant sales.

Are these real sales?

Or are they like the Tesco wine sales were bottles are marked up in price and than reduced by 50% (you are still buying the same €8.00 bottle of wine but feel you have got a bargin).

The markup in clothing is in the range of 300% to 400% before any sales price manipulations.

People do not realise just how often the retailer engages in price manipulations.

I recently destroyed our bottle sterliser and my wife replaced it with the exact same model which she brought in a 50% off sale. The only problem was she paid €10 more than what I originally paid.

Not for the independent retailer in Ireland it’s not.
Maybe for chain stores it might be.

What is your experience of the mark-up?

We’ve many a retail client - not one making money. Go figure. Rates, rent and wages in this country all way too high.

slightly north of 100% with the hope that your competitors don’t go in to early sale in which case you must sell at any price so as not to be left with last seasons fashions.