What’s negative about rising property prices?

Completely ignores the effect they have on the country’s competitiveness:

rte.ie/blogs/business/2013/1 … ty-prices/

I’m beyond exasperated at this stage with any reference made by anyone to 2007 property values/prices. As if that’s what we should all be hoping and praying for a return to. And that any recovery won’t be ‘complete’ until that day comes.
If it were compared to laboratory test conditions, no scientist would be using 2007 as a control for any experiment.

They are trying to copy the uK in respect of high house prices = good.

The UK’s bubble will pop sometime.

This bit might make some sense, as long as they build what people want, where they want it and it will, in a properly functioning market, help to moderate those same price rises.

Some of the rest could be charitably described as third rate drivel.

And as always, at the bottom -

He’s basically admitting that the houses are too expensive for the current market, therefore they have further to drop…

If you want to contact them the address is firstname.lastname@rte.ie for email addresses…

And they’ll ignore it.

Posting in the comments section isn’t about contacting the journalist, it’s about publicly correcting his tripe so others can form a balanced view.

hit him up on twitter:

David Murphy
@davidmurphyRTE
Business Editor RTÉ. Co-author Banksters. MSc Economic Policy & MA Journalism. Opinions personal. Retweets aren’t endorsements.
Dublin Ireland · rte.ie/blogs/business/

In general, moderate price inflation within a market is seen as a positive as it encourages purchases sooner rather than later. However, within either a dysfunctional or a manipulated market (both of which it could reasonably be argued that the Irish residential property market has been for quite some time), where prices often experience increases that are without fundamental support and where fear and ignorance amongst the cohort of buyers are used as the main tools by the middle men and women who work to distort the market, price inflation can be view sceptically and seen as nothing more than short term “ripping the arms and legs off” the next sucker in the market.

As has been pointed out and has been seen here, overblown prices paid (and it’s the buyers fault, not the vendor mostly) for property leads to wage and on into other price inflation within the wider economy, eroding the international competitiveness and furthermore undermining the domestic economy as more income is diverted into paying for shelter than the purchase of goods and services.

Blue Horseshoe

Indeed, the bubble was the anomaly and the collapse was the recovery to (somewhat) normal

Don’t even know where to start with this article

irishtimes.com/life-and-styl … -1.1616704

The purpose of the article is all in the second line which is the plant

I don’t mind property prices rising due to higher wages / inflation etc.
What is mad about our ‘central bank driven world’ is rising prices due to liquidity pumped into system (cheaper financing).
It creates large distorsions amongst social classes and generations.
What is the point in my house rising 100% because Draghi pumps our market with 0% loans.
My kids will need to take that money off me to buy their houses (which will be equally mis-priced).
Which means that I will be forced to downsize even faster (or live longer with the kids!).
My kids will also need to get on the ladder quicker / faster etc. (i.e. lock into careers before they are ready) to afford it.
It is a mad artificial system we have adopted since Greenspan of temporary prosperity now which always seems to unravel.

What is unfortuanate is how the media has itself become so compromised as it relys so much on property advertising.
Either from agents selling, banks lending, or our government who is the biggest real estate owner in the world.
Even the few articles you read about property in Ireland, are drowned by ad-spin copy like the above.

We’ll have to rename the website the pin mark II eventually. They key will be getting out in advance for those of us who’ve bought, as many did the first time.

It’s pretty clear we’ve learned nothing.