Why are there almost zero public toilets in Irish cities?

Article below illustrates the complere under supply of public toilets we have in our major cities.

There will be extra toilets and bins in public spaces in Dublin and Galway this weekend, however Cork City Council has said it will not provide temporary public toilet facilities in the city centre.

Separately, Cork City Council has said it will not be providing temporary public toilet facilities in the city centre over the coming weekend.

In a statement, the local authority said public toilet facilities will be available at two locations - the English Market and at the North Main Street shopping centre, during set hours.

I’m based in Cork. Having done takeaway pints in the city a few times in the last 2 months I’ve been shocked at the lack of public toilets.

We used to have Debenhams upstairs. With that business now permanently closed options are almost zero. We have English Market and Nroth Main St, both places only open for cetain hours and you’d only go if nearby and really stuck. 1 paid toilet outisde Bishop Lucey Park, used by all the druggies and you’d never ever go near it.

Most drinking is by the marina and not near the above, so basically everyone urintating on the streets at the minute. Goldberg’s are thankfully let you use their toilets which has saved me folloing the hoards.

Frankly disgusted Cork City didn’t follow Dublin and Galway. We need permanent solutions not temporary but at least that’s something. And in Cork they aren’t even giving a temoportary solution so seems they have no plans to install any new ones…

Public toilets will soon be for the injected only. Soonly.

Public will soon be for the injected only. Soonly.

Thats your answer right there

Kathy Sheridan wrote an article in the IT complaining about the issue, of course she never told us why we have close to zero public toilets

Solving the junkie problem would be priority number one for any serious Government, so I don’t expect to see it happen

“Solving the junkie problem would be priority number one for any serious Government, so I don’t expect to see it happen”

Its hilarious to see all of the shitlib handwringing about public toilets and bins. When the reason for the utter lack of them is entirely down to their champion demographics behaviour.
Cant have bins because knackers(and to a lesser extent fear of islamic terrorists)
Cant have open boulevards/parks because same.
Cant have public toilets because same.

But yea continue to use the Gardai as Public Health guideline enforcement, awesome use of resources.

But if we have 10 or so proper public toilets spread across the city surely there would be enough so they all weren’t horrendous to use

Maybe an internal green memo got sent to the wrong inbox setting off a chain of events that led to “zero emissions” beinginterpreted a bit too literally. :man_shrugging: