WIW - 152 Merrion Road, Ballsbridge

interesting - even at 50% of 05 price (not the peak of end 06!) they need a price reduction this am - after less than 6 weeks on market - see IT article

myhome.ie/residential/brochu … -4/3117587

and the IT article

top end - dead

I generally don’t watch that end of the market too closely so I’m probably way off on WIW. That being said, it’s a lovely house. 2 mill?

I’m hoping this top end deadness filters down to my price range…

House is huge and really well finished but does it have curb appeal? It looks similar to most other semi-d’s in the Nutley area (only much much larger).

At that price point, I’d be looking for a modernized house with historical character. I will never be looking at a house in that range :frowning:

The finish is lovely though. I love the skylights in the rear room.

agreed

as well as paying 5,2m - they put a fair bit of cash into it

152 Merrion Road, Ballsbridge, Dublin 4, Ireland
6 Bed Semi-Detached House 353 m² / 3800 ft² For Sale

Recent Irish Times article on this property has some errors regarding times and prices.
irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/new-to-market/a-home-in-the-golden-triangle-for-2-7m-1.2142757

1. 152 Merrion Road failed at auction in the summer of 2004 for HOK at a €1.7m guide (it quoted €1.9m after).
    independent.ie/irish-news/six-houses-auctioned-off-for-more-than-1m-25914406.html

2. It could not beat the €1.9m that Pat Gunne (Head of CBRE) paid for the superior 142 Merrion Road at end 2003 (slightly narrower but had the full back garden).
    dublinestates.blogspot.ie/2012/05/estate-agents-homes.html

3. In summer of 2006, after a major refurbishment and upgrade, 152 Merrion Road failed at auction again with Sherry Fitz on a guide of €5m. At the end of 2006 (the absolute peak of the market), it sold privately, with Sherry Fitz officially guiding a price of €4.6m (but I believe was closer to €4.4m).
    irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/salesresults-rathgar-four-bed-sells-for-2-8-million-1.1196650

Therefore, 152 Merrion Road sold off-market for c. €4.4m, in nearly-new condition at the time (which is now coming up to nine years old), at the exact peak of the Dublin market, in the most inflated post-code of the Irish boom.

Even today, there are a lot of homes in the “Golden Triangle” that are well off 50% (and even 75% off) of their full peak prices ?

For the record, the price reduction was 2.7m → 2.5m

You gotta feel for the owners.
That’s a serious wedge to swallow.

Reduced further to 2.45m
myhome.ie/residential/brochu … -4/3117587