WIW - 26 Knocknacree Pk, Dalkey

myhome.ie/residential/brochu … in/1259808

Long time lurker here. Pin has saved me from buying so far but I’m getting weak. This recently came down in price from 995k to 795k.

Anyone viewed it? Any thoughts on what its worth?

For me, the positives are location, fantastic views. Negatives - price, needs modernisation, small garden.

Thanks

The view is the main selling point but it needs money spent on it to update it -kitchen is really old I think we had something similar when I was a kid in the 70s.I’m not sure what the going rate would be but its overpriced in my opinion. Actually there no BER listed I’d be interested to hear what the rating is as they haven’t mentioned the heating system in the details.

Had my first trip to Dalkey this week ( :blush: I’ve been living here for over a decade) and it’s stunning. Suspect that flatt(ish) roof might need doing tho - those aeroboard tiles in the (manky) kitchen are not a good sign. Pity there isn’t a second reception room to stick the teenagers & their mates in while you enjoy the view…

That garage is massive, you could probably convert the bottom floor into some sort of games room.

Apparently no. 21 was up for auction for £780,000 back in 2000 - irishtimes.com/newspaper/pro … 00183.html

I reckon it will sell very close to the asking.

It’s a very charming property. Only one decent-sized bedroom. Remember your teens will need desk space/storage space in their bedrooms. Female teenage wardrobes can have a lot of gear in them!

Knocknacree Park is one place I harboured hopes of living in one day. Fell in love with it when there were three houses for sale up there somewhere between 1993 and 1995 (can’t remember exactly). Asking prices were all between 160k and 180k punts. That was quite a bit out of my reach at the time, and they always got more out of reach the more I earned. Bubble prices were over €2.5m.

That said, for me number 26 is on the wrong side of the road and would have to be a good bit under the €500/sq.ft. mark to be interesting. The more desirable ones are on the bottom side of the slope, with the back of the house falling away one level, and the uninterrupted two-storey high view of the bay. But then, they’re probably still the expensive ones.

Gill,

This sounds like a dilemma of head and heart. To answer your own question of whether you should buy - and only you can answer that q - you need to attend to both.

First, the head. Square footage valuations, future price drops, calculations based on rental yields and all other such stuff regularly trotted out by us posters are largely irrelevant if you are buying a house that will be a home and you intend to live in it for a long time. But the head is still important: do your sums to find out if you can live with the cost of buying this house at current price levels.

Start by getting an architect to put together detailed costings for all the work you would like to to do. Add that to the purchase price. Throw in your budget for furniture, appliances, floor coverings, etc. Don’t forget stamp duty and professional fees.

Then work out how much of your own cash you have to spend and how much you will be borrowing. Now look at the monthly borrowing cost, and work out what it will cost you under scenarios of higher interest rates (try +1%, +2% and +3%). Each additional % rise in interest rate will cost you an additional €0.55 or so per €1000 borrowed - so if you borrow €500k and your interest rate has gone up from say 3.2% to 4.2% by December 2012, will be shelling out an additional €275 (500 x €0.55). Remember to add in your monthly outgoings for life insurance and home insurance, and now you know how much the monthly cost will be.

If you feel comfortable with how that squares up against your monthly income (not just today, but likely future income), then the answer to the ‘head’ question is, yes, it’s okay to do this. You don’t have to worry about the value of the property falling once you’re living in it and aren’t going to be forced into selling it.

The heart question should now be much easier to answer.

First thing I noticed was the lack of a second “living” room.
A family home would ideally have a large kitchen/living/dining room but with another room to retreat to (adults or kids) in the evening.

You could open out the kitchen and split off the dining area but that would be costly and compromise the big selling point of that huge room.
Converting the garage is a real option (though a shame to some of us!).

Back garden is small, but fencing or hedging the front garden for privacy could be a runner (if it’s not done already).

Still a nice house and comparative value. €600k about right here (lots of upgrading required) but will go for more.

There are lots of obvious positives about the house and the location so I’m just going to post the negatives I’ve noticed.

The house doesn’t have a heating system apart from nightmare storage heaters. Installing proper heating will be expensive and messy.

Those lovely big windows with great sea views. They are north, north-east facing. That’s going to mean a cold and dark balcony, kitchen and living room throughout the year. If the builders never considered the lack of energy efficiency of huge north-facing windows, I’d be questioning the level of insulation throughout the house.

But on the other hand the rear garden is south, south-west facing so it will be bright and sunny, with plenty of heat on warm days, through to the evening. So you can open the house up to the garden and utilise it full during the summer. Nope, access between the house and garden is limited to side access and the back bedroom windows. Just think of all the crap barbecues you’ll be having as your guests have to traipse around the house or through your bedroom to use the bathroom.

Also there are light blocking trees over the rear that will need removing as the satellite pictures show the garden as almost entirely in tree shade, in what the shade orientation suggests is mid-afternoon. That will be problematic if the tree is in the neighbours’ garden, it’s difficult to tell in the EA photos. Which were taken in the morning, clearly making the best use of the light. So it’s a bit disturbing to notice numerous lights on in the living-room during the brightest hour or so a (sunny) day, that room gets.

Not to mention the general shiteness of having to cart all your groceries upstairs each week. Or, if you’re a dog person, the hassle of letting it out to the toilet from an upstairs livingroom and kitchen. Or if you have very young children the distance between the secure back garden and the livingspaces of the house means that they will be limited in their ability to play unsupervised. And the sloping rear garden isn’t exactly the best for young children either.

Imo, it’s a great house on the surface, but once you actually think through the nitty-gritty it’s too big a pain in the bum. The level of work necessary is quite big and even still you end up with too many compromises. Personally, the only way I’d consider this house is if the bedrooms were elevated enough from ground level to excavate and build under them, creating a big south facing kitchen-dining-living space that leads into the garden and would be the main “day room.” With the old kitchen converted into a small sitting room, and the dining area of the living room turned into a study space. It would give a much more usable family home. But obviously would cost a fortune if it was even possible.

I’m inclined to agree with the above if it the house is to used as a family home or with young kids in general.

The house looks fantastic, but the practicalities are lacking. I’ve said it before, if you have younglings the ideal is to have a big family room with doors to a secure garden to shove them out of. And for that cash you’d easy pick up something nice in that vein.

Thanks for all your considered responses.

Agree with iguana, there is major recontruction required to get this house right. I think it is a fab estate, my dream place to live but i have to say I was very dissapointed when I went to view this house for the following reasons;

upside down house - not practical for modern family living, especially with a growing family,

ground floor garage in not worth converting into living space cos it does not have proper head height, standard is 8ft, this is closer to 6ft

house built into a hill so first floor becomes ground floor to the rear of the property, its more of a 1.5 storey than 2 storey house

the size of the front windows would cost you a fortune to replace and the need replacing, they are not your standard size or space, could imagine they cost the price of a nice new kitchen

not a fan of sharing living rooms on the same floor as bedrooms

if that house was to function properly you would need to have the ground floor dedicated to a kitchen come breakfast room that opens out onto the rear south facing garden, you would need a utility room, kids den/study and wc, to do this you would need to raise the height of the ceiling in the garage and bring the building forward to the front to increae its sq. ft but not sure if this would still allow you to access the garden from ground level which would be a must for family living.

Its all possible its just that it could cost you a huge amount to do it, if you look under the dlrcoco.ie webiste under planning applications you can see what other neighbours did to convert/extend their houses, its all there along with floor plans etc

you can’t go wrong with the location, its second to none, its whether you can afford the house and renovations, probably worth getting a few professionals in to see whats possible,

best of luck!

Have to agree it’s a great location, but the style and layout of the house would be a major drawback, and the big north facing windows, while giving you the lovely view, are an energy efficiency nightmare. Also bear in mind that you’re on the slope of Dalkey hill leading up to the quarry, so the liklihood of hitting granite when you go to build or extend is pretty high, which adds cost. And the other thing that would be a bit annoying (for that price) is the fact that the cul de sac is choc-a-block with commuters parking for the DART. Not much you can do about it… but not a lot of space for kids to play on the cul de sac.
Not a bad buy for that part of Dalkey, but one for somebody with deep pockets for a major renovation job I think. It could devour money, and in a couple of years you might be wondering if you’d have got an elegant period house nearby for the same outlay?

Are you sure that’s legal nowadays? :laughing: :laughing:

no 32 for auction with an amv of €625 myhome.ie/residential/brochu … th/1579049

Too far from town. Deal breaker.

Wow, two gorgeous houses.

Decor has been frozen in time though.

But who would bother doing up their house when they have that amazing view!!!

Why is the house for auction!!, its not an exectors sale, its not in the €1m price bracket, just don’t get why the estate agent feels this needs to be auctioned! rather brave considering the current climate, so little houses being sold by auction and most are withdrawn. Think its both unnecessary and over the top!

Sale agreed:

myhome.ie/1259808