WIW - 33 Ballybrit Court, Ballybrit, Co. Galway

daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=731517

I cant stop staring at this house for some reason, 125k would be all my savings and investments, would it go for above that do you think?

Am I completely mad to be thinking of buying a house in Galway at the minute? Im 29, sick of working already, contract coming to an end soon so will be moving back to Galway, no dependents. Have led a pretty boring frugal life and would love a place like this to finance some traveling around the world for a bit then somewhere to live in Galway when I come home, is it the wrong time to buy in Galway at the minute?

Is being a landlord in Ireland outside of certain areas in Dublin these days just a stupid way to spend your money in general?

how well do you know the area Thargor ?
you say you’re from galway but city or county , and if the city which part ?
east side of town has changed a lot during the celtic tiger , became a lot more built up , and if you’ve been away for a while then i’d say take your time when you come back before buying a house … time you probably won’t have if this is going for auction soon…re the price i don’t think it would go for too much above 125k , but who knows , galway is different :confused:

Prices Paid in Ballybrit Court:
propertypriceregisterireland.com … brit+Court

I do not know that estate but the only thing that would make sense of the numbers is if t is a mix of detached, semi-d and apts. Otherwise the figures are lunacy…come to think of it lunacy is probably the answer.

2012-12-21
32 Ballybrit Court, Ballybrit, Co. Galway, Ireland
€146,000

2012-02-02
40 Ballybrit Court, Ballybrit, Galway City, Co. Galway, Ireland
€95,000

2011-11-18
55 Ballybrit Court, Ballybrit, Co. Galway, Ireland
€90,000

2011-07-21
46 Ballybrit Court, Ballybrit, Co. Galway, Ireland
€153,000

2010-09-15
50 Ballybrit Court, Ballybrit, Co. Galway, Ireland
€230,000

I assume you mean lunacy as in too expensive still Magpie? Do you forsee much of a drop in Galway in future?

@Jamesieliz: I know Galway very well, not this particular estate but its well located, all the factories are there in Galways little medical device manufacturing hub so I doubt tenants would be a problem, easy access to the city centre aswell by bus etc, did it on a bike millions of times.

Im not going to liquidate everything (dont really want to either) and run down to Galway to buy this by October its just as I said, Im sick of just working all the time, Id love to do something like this and have a steady income every month for the month, I just cant decide if this is an idiotic way to go about it and if Id be better off in bonds or something until there’s more clarity, also reposessions/NAMA/changes to rent allowance to think of.

Being a landlord and being able to live off the rent while traveling has always been a bit of a dream of mine and since I managed to save above 100k Im nervous about losing it all in some new shitstorm, would love to sink it into a property and relax for a while.

By lunacy I mean

50 Ballybrit Court, Ballybrit, Co. Galway, Ireland
€230,000

vs

55 Ballybrit Court, Ballybrit, Co. Galway, Ireland
€90,000

Would 125k for the house you linked be lunacy? I doubt it.
But i don’t know the estate, build quality, neighbors, etc etc

Yes, it would be very rent-able, €800-€900 should not be a problem.