WIW- 34 Windsor Road, Dublin 6

myhome.ie/residential/brochu … -6/1773786

Nice road but are these places still getting 1m quid?

Where oh where is our James Connolly. Where oh where is that gallant man. He is gone to organise the Union. That working men they may yet be free.

They won’t be free of debt if they buy that gaff.

Nice road, south facing orientation and although there’s no offstreet parking there are many in the Red-brick Brigade who fantasise about this kind of place. I think €995k is overambitious but I could see it getting something close to €800k if they’re willing to take that hit right now and sell at that price in the spring.

I agree. I think this one will sell in the spring for 80-90% of the asking.

Could see it getting up to 850K maybe, but more like 830K because of the lack of off-street parking to the front, but I’d expect it should sell above 800K.
I did notice JC in the picture, had the same song going through my head, and refected on the irony :slight_smile:

So with a new kitchen carpets repaint doing something with certain dated aspects like wood panel ceilings in extension and very likely bathrooms which are conspicuous by absence… we are looking at about 850k buy + maybe 100k refurb… Seems expensive but I agree they are in demand…

I think you are mad. 800k over 25 years @4% interest is more than €4200 a month. There is an extremely small cohort that could afford this place

Why would you expect that the cohort who can afford a large house in a good area near the center of the city would be anything other than “extremely small” ?

I doubt many of the potential buyers envisage having an LTV of 100% either.

irishpropertywatch.com/viewR … &Site=daft

So say 2800 to 3500 p.m rent above based on above more recent rents x 12 x 15 = price range of Eur 504,000 - 630,000.

This would seem realistic but still 300 - 200 k off peoples estimates above and is a 50% to 36% drop from asking price

How far away are we from there!!

Just because you have had big deposit, it has the same cost.

It is a nice house. It is a good area. It is not a “mansion”. There is no off street parking or garage, the garden is nice but not huge.

Good size, need to kill the garden to have somewhere to put 2 cars if possible, 440 without, with the aforementioned maybe 380 if being generous and the bank manager has had his monthly service if you know what I mean.

no idea what you mean!

Attached neighbour asking 2.5M in 2005
independent.ie/national-news … 61259.html

Other side sold for €700K in 1999 which was 975K end of 2010 (anthonykelly.com/inflation.html)
independent.ie/unsorted/prop … 04675.html

Jaysus :open_mouth:
I won’t dispute it because I was so wrong on the property market

From Google Irish Times May 2002

I wonder in what year a house there last went for 300k IRP?

Run the math again with a 5% yield (12x20) and your 3500 pm (and one of your ads quoted 4500) and you get €840K
At this end of the market 5% is not crazy, and 3500 is not too ott.

South County Dublin had the fastest rate of house price inflation. I bought at the end of 1998 for £195k in Sandymount. My neighbour bought for £85k a slightly bigger house in 1995.

This house would have been sub £300k at the start of 1998 and more like £250k .

Seeing as it next door sold for IR550K in 1999, 1998 would have been at least in the 400s.

independent.ie/unsorted/prop … 04675.html
No 32 Windsor Road, Rathmines withdrawn, sold after excess £550,000

As always, only messing. ( Except for Knocklyon. That’s serious). Bid whatever you think the chicken entrails can get away with.

irishtimes.com/newspaper/pro … 15290.html

An interesting question. Has a 4 bed house on Windsor road *ever *sold for 300k in 2012 euros?

Reversing Anthony Kelly’s inflation data 300k euros in 2010 (goes up to 2010 only) is equivalent to almost exactly 20,000 pounds in 1971. To my understanding (purely anecdotal) this is a about a third under the price that it would have cost to buy a similar house in this area in the early 70’s. And it takes inflation as the yardstick, when adjusting by reference to income is probably a better way of comparing prices and affordibility across time and would show a much smaller number than 20,000.

Again anecdotally certain parts of Dublin 6 in particular suffered relative house price falls in the period from the 1920’s to the 1980’s - as more suburban living came into vogue, Mount Merrion, Glenageary, Cabinteely etc - and many of the larger Victorian houses in D6 became flatland. This has partially reversed since the 1980’s - viz: the transformation of Ranelagh into bourgeois bohemia.

Impossible to answer without greater detail of historical prices in Rathmines and a good incomes index but my hunch (the old hunch eh) says that even at their least fashionable houses in this area and condition never sold for 300k in 2012 euros, and certainly never sold for 300k in in 2012 euros income.

Again anecdotally certain parts of Dublin 6 in particular suffered relative house price falls in the period from the 1920’s to the 1980’s - as more suburban living came into vogue, Mount Merrion, Glenageary, Cabinteely etc - and many of the larger Victorian houses in D6 became flatland. This has partially reversed since the 1980’s - viz: the transformation of Ranelagh into bourgeois bohemia.

Agree with that too, Dublin 6 seems to have gaining in relative price compared to stouth county Dublin. I think the fact that it’s easier for town and that they have a higher stock of period houses which are very popular now.