wiw 39a Johnstown Park Dun Laoghaire

Has anyone idea what this house would be worth daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=638500. It is up for auction with a reserve of 185,000. It has no heating system, old electrics (the old plugs) no kitchen etc.

It’s not dun lapghaire, it’s cabinteely and not the nice side IMO.

It’s on a corner of a busy enough road and right across from a bank of shops, which could desperately do with a centra / spar. It’s a fine solid house but needs at least 150ks of work. There a nice south facing house on Johnston park for 325 which afaik hasn’t had an offer. IMO this one is only worth 100k.

If you like the area and could independently afford the total refurb, you’d end up with a fine big house on a nice site.

Don’t think I would call the area Cabinteely, when I grew up it was just Johnstown, not Cabinteely. An post has it as Dun Laoghaire.

I would think the Advised Minimum Valuation is to draw attention to the auction. If I was bidding I’d be prepared to go to 310k but there would be others who would see this at the 400k mark.
Above the Burbs thinks 150k renovation, thats way off the mark, 40k will have that house up to a decent level of living standard,and the garden alone will give a fine extension.

My thoughts exactly. A lot of people will be watching to see what this goes for.

€400K for a 115 sqm wreck on the Johnstown Road?

That’s bloody mad money. So is your €310K, tbh.

Also, €40K would only scratch the surface. I mean, how much is a basic 40 sqm extension?

I looked at this and thought, if you get the right bidders, it might hit 250k. Anything above is frankly irresponsible. Personally I find the area a wasteland but hey ho, close to the shops and main road. 400k - sheesh, you can get a hotel for that :slight_smile:

How much would it cost to put a central heating system in?

8-12k

Also, €40K would only scratch the surface. I mean, how much is a basic 40 sqm extension?
40k for a basic renovation is enough, maybe not for your part of the world.As for for 40 sq meter extension I done one at Windsor Park, Monkstown a year ago the exact same kind of house at I think 44k for 36 sq meters sowork it out from that.
A word of advice shop around.

40k for a basic renovation is enough, maybe not for your part of the world.As for for 40 sq meter extension I done one at Windsor Park, Monkstown a year ago the exact same kind of house at I think 44k for 36 sq meters sowork it out from that.
A word of advice shop around Conor.

OK the basics:
Replace all windows.
Insulation, walls and attic.
Radiators, plumbing, boiler.
Kitchen units, fixtures.
Electrics, rewiring, lighting.

Would you get that lot done for €40k? (Genuine question, I don’t know.)

Then some more stuff that some would consider superfluous:
Downstairs W/C.
Flooring.
Convert garage/or build kitchen extension.

Replace all windows. -€6500 -Munster joinery supply and fit
Insulation, walls and attic. -€500 Insulate the attic,cavity block wall so can’t pump bead insulation to effective result
Radiators, plumbing, boiler.- €8000 For Radiators,pipe,fittings etc.,25kw boiler to suit house and future extension supply & fit
Kitchen units, fixtures.-€4400 Cash and Carry kitchens supply and fit.
Electrics, rewiring, lighting.-€4500 all in.
Bathroom - €4000

Getting back to the insulation you could externally insulate at a cost of €12000 on this and still come in around 40k managed by the buyer.
40k will get the above easily without the external insulation with change for carpet,flooring,doors etc and paying someone to manage for you to brinhg it to a suitable standard.

Well I guess that’s where we disagree sotoole. I would not use PVC windows (Munster joiney) nor would I use a cash and carry kitchens. I suspect some of the prices you’ve quoted are trade. I just insulated our attic (160sqm house) and the cheapest quote for 220mm was 750. So I cannot imagine uou getting the attic and walls for €500.

If you can do all that for yourself at those prices, you’re obviously in the trade. Good luck, you will have a fine house.

I stand by my 150k estimate.

Just one thing the Burbs, 150k vat inclusive will put a 3 bed new build house on the side garden site of the house you value at 100k.
Your standards belong to a different time,any relation of Marty McFly.

I would agree if you are a professional builder and exclude any costs the council might levy and professional fees.

IMO you would get very little change from 100k refurbing this house.

From 150k now to 100k getting somewhere, but still theres a 50k gap from two posters of little knowledge of prices and who fail to read a post in full.

Landlord put the 100k up for explanation and burbs the same with 150k. I would think you will find you will have plenty of euro left over to wallpaper the walls.

I’ve no doubt 40K would get you a super extension, but you said:

And one room out the back isn’t going to make the rest of the house not a wreck.

Well the 40k would be for one or the other, you Conor first mentioned a the price of a 40 meter extension.

That’s a bit snarky - he’s only trying to add to the debate by saying what he would put into the house and giving examples of quotes he got himself.

For what it’s worth, I’ve had refurb quotes in between both price levels - you can pay as little as €50 per square foot (or less if in the trade or doing some of it yourself) for refurb and as much as €100 or more per square foot. It depends on the standard of finish desired and what is put in or left out.