WIW - 40 Merton Road, Rathmines

Nice house.

Very close to LUAS and has an East Facing Garden.

Asking €1.695m thats €712 / sqft.

myhome.ie/residential/brochu … -6/2540439

Its a nice area but it seam like a lot. Round the corner 34 Cowper with a North facing garden and requiring some modernisation is also asking €717 / sqft (€1.6m.)

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=59205&hilit=34+cowper

Is this the new norm or ar properties actually moving at these levels? has the madness returned or am I just really out of touch?

It never went away

I would be surprised if either sold at that level. I drove past both and have viewed the first one and I have to say from the outside both are fairly underwhelming. If I had 1.7 to spend I would like a lot more bang for my buck.
Merton road house is especially ordinary with a terrible aspect although it is a great location. In the current climate who knows and every house seems to go for a lot more than I think or would pay for.

€1.695m for that - get me out of this sh*thole asap.

Sale Agreed

myhome.ie/residential/brochu … -6/2540439

34 Cowper sale agreed at €1.6m

Sold 18-2-15 for €1,630k

#24 sold last year for €1.525m

Now #9 is on for €1.5m

myhome.ie/residential/brochu … -6/3544124

Very attractive large houses with great family layouts (not a given in d6) and large gardens on a leafy road.

As nearly all the houses on the road are similar they should be worth around the same, condition and extentions being the difference.

#9 is in need of modernisation but still has the original fireplaces and original stain glass windows are still intact and the house has not been messed about over the years. I don’t think I have seen a kitchen as bare as this one tho. The big advantage of #9 is that it has a west facing garden compared to 40 & 24 east facing garden so this should make up for some of the difference in condition. The final selling price of this will give an idea of what sort of percentage falls the high end in d6 has experienced since 2014 as the houses should be quite comparable in price on this road.

9 being West facing should make it significantly more valuable than 24. It’s an advantage that pretty much nothing has been done, so you can factor in the cost of doing everything rather than wondering what needs doing. Also better that it doesn’t have any dodgy extensions, it’s very clean so you can put your own extensions on it without having to pull half the house down.

Another major benefit I would think is the fact that you have no Luas on this side of the street. The East facing houses have the Luas running by the ends of their gardens, which I imagine must cause some level of noise disturbance, but I don’t know to what extent it’s an issue.

All-in-all this is the most attractive house of this type to have come up given the fact that the Cowper Road ones were North facing, and the other ones on this street were East facing. Likewise the two houses on Palmerston Gardens for €1.1m-ish requiring full refurb were East facing. Orientation is so important, so for someone looking for a house in the €1.5m range (i.e. a smaller, more modern house than the usual mansions) in the Cowper part of Rathmines, this is the only house in that price range with a good orientation that has been available for quite some time.

I imagine it’ll sell quickly - if it doesn’t then there’s a clear indication of a slump in the market.

No. 9 Sold 16-9-16 for €1.7m