WIW - 56 Northumberland Road

A Chunky price rise of 290K today to €2.79m after a short time on the market. Impressive.

myhome.ie/residential/brochu … pertyAlert

Featured on the front page of the It on Jan 22nd: irishtimes.com/life-and-styl … -1.2073941

It didn’t sell at auction :slight_smile:

That is not a price rise it is a switch from Advised Minimum Value for an auction to Asking Price for private treaty sale.

anyone know if the 3mm one did - as I said in a earlier post 2 chances slim and none - did anyone even turn up - save some noisy neighbours

timing of the price drop today didn’t help I suppose

Was bought in 2003 for an undisclosed sum after auction (AMV €2.1m). At that time it had been owned for nearly 50 years by the family in situ and there wasn’t even any central heating, so it took a big refurb to get it to where it is. It’s a very comfortable family home and ticks all the boxes other than garden orientation, being N facing, but does offer parking in the front, which isn’t a given around here. Bedrooms are all large, but no separate master dressing room.

I am told that the 3 m D6 house sold and this 2.5m D4 house did not – which was a lucky guess on my part since SoCoDu (who knows a lot more about historic houses than me) predicted the opposite – that the 2.5 m would sell and the 3 m would flop and I guessed the opposite. I just got lucky with my guess to be honest.

St Kevins Park sold for approx €3.5m

Huge amount of money for that house and the new buyers will probably sink money into it and be in it for €4m - or even more depending on how mad they go. Just as a comparison, one of the other detached ones on Kevin’s Park sold with the same agent in 2010 for €1,550,000 - Dinard, 52 St Kevin’s Park, Dartry. Basically the same house without the awful extensions however the one that sold yesterday has a much wider W facing site, instead of a narrower N facing at 52. They’ve done a great refurb on Dinard and the garden is still very large.

Can’t really see the attraction to Darna at €4m+ all in. Thorndale on Temple Road made €4.75m a few months back. That was over 5000sqft of quality space in walk-in condition and a half acre site (compared to 1/3 acre and an original house probably of about 2,700sqft before extensions at Darna). That part of Temple Road is very quiet, and one of the best stretches of residential property in the country with houses worth €10m+. Kevin’s Park is mostly €1.5m+ semis.

A chunky price drop of -€300,000 today.

56 Northumberland Road, Ballsbridge, Dublin 4.
2,390,000, 4 Bedroom Terraced House, 379 sq m 4,100 sq ft.

Renovated, large period terraced house (lovely restored facade), with back garden (albeit north east facing), on the well regarded Northumberland Road in D4, which was taken off the market last asking 2.390m.

Process started with Irish Times in Jan 2015 pre-auction at AMV 2.5m
irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/new-to-market/walk-in-grandeur-in-d4-for-2-5m-1.2073941

Went back on post auction (there were no bids), with Irish Independent in March 2015 for 2.79m
independent.ie/life/home-garden/homes/period-home-with-timeless-appeal-in-ballsbridge-can-be-yours-for-279m-31044102.html

Price was reduced from 2.790m in stages to 2.390m.

Then it was taken off the market close to the end of 2015. There have been a few failures like this in 2015 which were taken off the market (some listed as “Sale Agreed” but that was just for show). Another interesting case, and ties in with how weak the high-end Dublin market became in 2015. The high-end is almost all cash (Irish banks don’t want to give +1m mortgages), but I am guessing that there is a limit to how much cash there is, and for periods, it is bone dry.

Still, would have thought that a Google might have stepped in here as a “corporate” apartment ?
thepropertypin.com/viewtopic.php?t=65796&p=870327