WIW Cluain Na Greine, Shankhill Village, €950,000

myhome.ie/residential/brochure/cluain-na-greine-house-cluain-na-greine-court-shankill-co-dublin/3550903

Subject of another thread

thepropertypin.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=58988&p=872124#p872124

Had a look at it and it’s a pretty decent job in the main.

• a good bit of it’s size is given over to the wide hall and landing but in my own view this is a good thing. A house isn’t just about room numbers and sizes and you need some ‘free space’ to feel you actually occupy a large house. They pulled a 5th bedroom on the landing to get light from the front South facing window into the house - a good move. They’ve wired for internet there so nice sunny spot for a home worker who’s kids are in school

• 2 x living rooms the size of which are fine for a 2nd living. Could have done with opening out the one with dining attached to make a large main living - somewhere you can fit the whole family with ease in one go. I don’t myself see the point in a formal dining in a house modern style kitchen/living/dining space. The lack of a decent-sized living room is a bit of a ball drop in a house this size, there’s nowhere to relax with a more than say 4 adults other than in the dining area.

• Kitchen/living/ dining okay size and triple aspect. Good move on making the ceilings nice and tall - finally a builder who sees the sense in going up as well as out.

• 4 x good sized double bedrooms, one ensuite, one ensuite and dressing room. I liked the dressing room / ensuite accessed through one door instead of a door to each. Keeps the bedroom from feeling like doorsville.

• smallish utility and guest bathroom accessed down a passage.

• good quality of work throughout, in the main, although finish a bit rough in places: patchy paint, gaps not filled, that kind of thing. They kept what they could of original features (lovely fireplace in the main living, cornicing, quarry tiles in hall, etc) and added period to make up for the deficit. House had a very fresh feel to it if a little lacking in character - mainly because it’s not overly filled with dressing material and the neutral palette used. A bit of Farrow & Ball around would improve that no end.

• Things were done to a price in a number places but on reflection, many of these are things which can be easily replaced should someone really want it. Cheap brown/beige carpets throughout. Paint no great shakes either. A hob sans Miele sticker is fine, a cheap window not. Plastic electrical points, fine, a dodgy roof, not. That kind of thing. It’s Shankhill after all, not Dalkey. Perhaps the person who did this job had an eye on the legacy of getting the fundamentals right (which the punter won’t see), accepting that they could have gotten a higher price if focusing on the cosmetics at a cost to fundamentals. They’d make a good wad and could have afforded to up the ante on the finish (indeed, I imagine they’ll lose far more that it would have cost them to put a nice finish in), but fair enough having invested at the bottom and waiting around for the market to rise. You have to speculate to accumulate

• garden rear is plenty big heading to a point. Very shaded though by the necessary tall evergreens blocking the apartments behind as well as the house itself so will be dark in the main. Fine for the kids and shed. Back and side of house loses the decoration which makes the front appealing: kerb appeal uber alles.

Front garden would be a quite sun trap all day and with the high walls and quiet location, al fresco out front is adequate. I’d have shifted one of the pairs of double doors leading to the dark rear garden to the front and invited the possibility of front garden use. Stick a bench out there or summit

• Dunno Shankhill much. South-south county Dublin, good access, small village?

Offers at 850/890/950 thus far and seemingly plenty of interest when I was there.

Shankill

South County Dublin-lite in the eyes of the buying world.

How did they manage a BER of B3?

Detached house, multiple open fireplaces, solid floor (seemingly un-insulated at least in part), not clear if the walls were slabbed internally or if there is external insulation (doesn’t look like it).

It got a result of B3 149.83 (kWh/m2/yr) At 150.00 or higher it turns into a C1.

Report can be found here
ndber.seai.ie/pass/ber/search.aspx

Chimneys are blocked up upstairs. The house has a draft lobby and a solid floor, an efficient boiler, full draft stripping etc.

Good question.

The whole BER thing is a bit of a joke to be honest. I got one done recently and simply reported in the thickness of the insulated panels I used and that was that. As it was, I made a mistake in one room and reported the thickness of the whole panel, including plasterboard as the thickness of the insulation alone. Didn’t make a difference to the rating but heck: self reporting the level of expensive insulation used?

That was indeed a close call on the BER. Put up a Christmas tree with filament bulb fairy lights and with every blink you change the BER to C1 :smiley:

Place isn’t externally insulated. I’d have thought too that a couple of fireplaces would have dragged its trousers down. The advisory doesn’t really break stuff down: blocking chimneys improves BER grade (which is why you block unused ones) but you can’t see the detail of the insulation levels, number of chimneys etc to check out whether accurate or not. Wouldn’t have thought it could make a B but fair ball if they did or thereabouts. A least it’ll be far from being a ice-box and with that kind of money, I suppose folk can pay the heating bills.

I’d imagine the number of windows makes a difference too. Surely a 3000 sq ft double glazed glass box gets a lower BER than a box made only of polystyrene.

There is dual aspect in loads of rooms, double doors, windows everywhere. Double glazed or no.

Used to have a rough reputation, it’s not Dalkey or Killiney but I think it has improved/matured in the last 20 years.