Working From Home to majorly impact property market in the future?

Employers made offices a lot less productive and more miserable by making them open plan. That’s accepted by researchers. Now add the unhealthiness in the Covid era.

WFH has it’s drawbacks but until employers return space & privacy & quiet to knowledge workers then there’ll be no great pull to return to offices. Frankly office space needs to become cheaper & Planners need to set out high minimum space requirements per person.

Very true, especially when they dropped partition heights or removed them entirely, it’s like working in a battery farm. The only salvation was monitors got bigger.

Agreed. Nothing says “We hate our workforce” like dropped partitions in an open plan office. It’s like working with someone else’s TV on.

A lot of it depends on the home situation. Employers rightly want to check that workers have got a suitable environment that won’t impact productivity. We had a guy who wanted to work part time from home and it turned out he had young kids that he was going to be looking after alone. It hadn’t occurred to him that his boss might have a problem with that.

But there’s no doubt the office environment can be a drag. At one stage I took to strolling in at 3 or 4pm to get any unavoidable meetings out of the way, then working till 5 or 6 am to get the important stuff done. Working from home is vastly more productive for “think time”. I can do some gardening, prepare a meal, have a shower, listen to a technical podcast, iron some clothes – only joking, I never iron anything – all while on a needed break from the desk to think about a problem. And I can still be ready for online meetings at the drop of a hat, with zero commute time, and all the housework under control. What’s not to like?

Eunan O’Carroll is commercial director at QRE Real Estate Advisers

I’m guessing Commercial Office Valuations are starting to look 2008 scary :face_with_monocle:

I was in the office this week for the first time in a few months.

Id forgotten how crap it really is. People talking, gossipping, wasting time etc when youre trying to get things done. Its probably a release for some who dont particularly like their domestic situation. But for everyone else its pointless.

Way more productive at home. Less stressed, less drained. No commute. Proper food, no overpriced sandwiches etc.

Once a fortnight will do me grand.

… accompanied by a stock photo of a call centre. :roll_eyes:

How much does the newspaper itself rely on the myhome cash to keep the lights on? They must have some hefty legacy pension obligations still plus upper management types on ‘because I’m worth it’ salaries but regular sales and non-state advertising are trending towards zero.
I was walking home along Baggot St after a few pints last year and saw a few of the Saturday editions left in a café doorway for the next morning. Maybe a younger me would have swiped one but all I thought was “not even worth stealing.”

From Irish Times today:

"Job site Indeed has become the latest company to tell its staff that they can work from home on a permanent basis, with the vast majority” of its 1,000 Irish staff set to be allowed continue to work on a remote basis - either full or part time - once the pandemic ends. The company said it remains committed to the leases on its Dublin offices but will “revisit as they come up for renewal”.

Link to Irish Times here:https://www.irishtimes.com/business/work/indeed-to-allow-vast-majority-of-irish-employees-to-work-from-home-forever-1.4372417

I guess whatever employees who are working there who are in the market for buying a home can now make their decision on where to live i.e. Dublin or other.

Should you get paid based on where you live?

https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20200928-should-you-get-paid-based-on-where-you-live

Senior engineers and even their management enjoy similar in modern offices I’ve worked at.

Article in Irish Times today titled: ‘Working from home: Germany to set out legal rights within weeks’

"Germany is to press ahead with plans to give employees the legal right to work from home, the country’s labour minister has said, as the coronavirus pandemic prompts governments to consider major reforms in the world of work.

In an interview with the Financial Times, Hubertus Heil said the draft law would be published in a few weeks’ time. It aims to ensure workers have the option of working from home when possible, as well as to regulate home-office work, such as limiting hours.

Mr Heil said the law would seek to reinforce workers’ rights and set clearer boundaries for the increasingly blurred lines between personal life and work. He hit back at critics who argued that his plans could weaken workers’ ability to engage in collective bargaining and could encourage companies to outsource jobs abroad to countries with lower labour standards."

Irish Times article here: https://www.irishtimes.com/business/work/working-from-home-germany-to-set-out-legal-rights-within-weeks-1.4373710

I wonder if WFH will ever extend to the stage of the “tied cottage” where a worker was provided with a property to live in when they worked.
Historically, farm labourers were provided with somewhere to live while they worked the farm.
Same with level crossing keepers, there may only be six trains a day, but they needed someone there to work the gates.

These days it could be possible for an employer to offer a job with a property thrown in with the proviso that they’re WFH for extended periods of time, short durations of actual work with long gaps in between as well as a requirement to visit the office to do on-site stuff.

Most jobs still require periods of on-site presence even if only one day a month.

Sort of like a cubicle with a roof and slightly higher walls. :icon_cool:

I believe that in Japan, people rent out cyber-cafe cubicles for days at a time as they’re cheaper than other forms of accommodation.

"Microsoft is allowing its employees to work from home permanently. While the vast majority of Microsoft employees are still working from home during the ongoing pandemic, the software maker has unveiled “hybrid workplace” guidance internally to allow for far greater flexibility once US offices eventually reopen.

Microsoft highlights a few roles that still require access to the company’s offices, including those that require access to hardware labs, data centers, and in-person training. Employees will also be allowed to relocate domestically with approval, or even seek to move internationally if remote working is viable for their particular role."

Link here: https://www.theverge.com/2020/10/9/21508964/microsoft-remote-work-from-home-covid-19-coronavirus

So why would I live in a shoebox in south county Dublin???

The State moves across the threshold into your Home. Using Health Safety, it’s like magic!

The Home is now the workplace.

All that workplace legislation.

Time to induct the family/flag mates Into corporate culture and labour law.

What I want to know is can some people request to live in work?

Those big open plan office floors must fairly empty right now.

Think of all that space. The views on the upper floors. To die for.

Also will the employer be paying a portion of your rent/mortgage too, they pay your holidays so they should pay for you work accommodation too… :whistle:

Looks like the preference for home working is getting stronger, it will take a brave company to try to force them all back into the office for 40 hours a week.