Worst cliches in interior design?

“Live Life”.

Wow. That’s like, deep, man.

Just because it wouldn’t fit in your caravan…

The travertine tile in bathrooms I totally agree with.

Shaker style kitchens - has to be a cliché

This thread is more like ‘what I don’t like’ rather than clichés

When LOVE takes over: how Robert Indiana’s artwork conquered the planet

theguardian.com/artanddesign/2015/oct/09/robert-indiana-love-artwork-sculpture

You can get fire retardant paint but it’s about €180 per tin with limited colours. We decided to take our chances with regular paint as we are rarely (if ever) going to light a fire there. We used acrylic primer with regular satin paint on top.

Double decker couches - they’re everywhere since that movie came out.

Jesus, a lot of people on here not fans of wall mounted TVs. I think they look great provided there’s no cabling on show.

That house with the swimming pool and audrey hepburn pics all over it has fallen in price today.

myhome.ie/residential/brochure/114-sycamore-road-glasnevin-dublin-11/3316167

Down to €575k.

Good thread this, I know it’s a bit of fun but can someone outline what’s wrong with a wooden floor and a leather couch?

Depends on the quality of the leather and the floor. Crap laminates and placticky black leather especially with those stupid foot rest pop-outs look shite while Beech Junckers and nice brown leather is the acme of good taste and very practical (cough, cough) :blush:

I am intending to install some decent quality wood flooring and some kind of red chesterfield, I might have to read back over the rulebook first :blush:

I’ve a 32" (which I gather is undersized these days) mounted on a wall representing the best viewing position for two couches. It avoids sticking the TV in a corner (which breaks what I’ve found to be a good interior design rule: ensure you have largely unobstructed views into corners).

If it’s a) a not overpoweringly-sized TV and b) it’s not mounted above the fireplace or where the fireplace should be (in the case where the fireplace has been taken out / never installed) then it’s no sin to wall mount. It’s when the TV becomes the focal point of the room that you get into trouble. I mean, the quality of TV programming is pretty shite in the main, so if TV central to your room (in size and location) then it says a lot about how you spend one of your most precious commodities.

Something I’ve always found a bit sad (for reasons I can’t put my finger on) is a bedroom-mounted tv

It’s a bit like the room and it’s textures have been sprayed with a monotone (brown) - given the couch and floor represent significant surface areas to draw that impression from. We just managed to avoid it with a half-leather/half fabric (pure accident) but if I squint my eyes I can imagine what it’d have been like with an all leather couch.

You get the same problem with solid wooden tables / brown §leather dining chairs / wooden flooring. Stick a large thin rug under the table (say a sage green) and you break up the monotone look. Makes a lot of difference

It’s a matter of opinion I guess, and while most TV is shite, there is still plenty of high-quality TV (dramas in particular) to be enjoyed, in fact many would say we are in a “golden age” of television (theguardian.com/tv-and-radio … soderbergh)

We are each given only a short amount of time on earth, but criticizing people for how they choose to spend that time is a bit of a slippery slope. Are we all angels dancing on the head of the pin?

32 inch is modest these days.

I don’t agree about the TV over the fire place. They’re generally the focal point of the living room and most people do in fact spend their free time watching TV. Gone be the days of sitting around listening to the wireless or reading poetry and saying the rosary!

There are ways of making it less of an eye sore.

Agree on the TV in the bedroom. If you must watch something you can use an Ipad but generally if I’m awake, I’d like to be out of the bed and don’t agree with watching TV in the bed before falling asleep.

Measured against what? If, as your nom de guerre hints, you view us as eternal creatures then our time here is indeed a blip. But if not then it is what is is. Neither long nor short (for want of a yardstick to compare against). But seeing as our time is finite, the question does arise as to how we use it (I often find myself wondering at the ways in which I/we use the finite resource called oil: knowing of how it can be used in premium service (say an emergency vehicle) and how it can be, comparatively speaking, be frittered away (say a trip around to a nearby Tesco’s in the car because I’m too lazy to walk)

It’s not so much a criticism as an observation. I was on holidays in a chalet park in Hoek van Holland some years back and took a stroll at dusk one evening in summer. TV light flickered through virtually every window (the ones that didn’t flicker so were unoccupied) with folk watching one of the three or so main channels available then. Extrapolating across the nation, I thought it a little sad, given human potential, that the guts of a nation was watching the Dutch equivalent of Coronation St.

Working in the convenience food sector and watching how that industry drives the population towards low grade food of dubious nutritional value I can’t help seeing parallels in the TV world. Soaps with their addictive qualities and race-to-the-bottom story lines? 24/7 news with it’s repetition, micro-incremental drip feeding of detail and focus on the bad in life? Sports channels that would have you watch two flies crawling up a wall? As with food, just because something fills you doesn’t mean it’s a good thing.

In the eyes of the food and TV industries certainly. Simply units of consumption.

Reminds me of when flat screen tv’s came out first. They were so damn futuristic and so damn expensive. Being handy with renovation I came up with the idea of knocking a hole in my thick brick living room wall and setting the tube tv back into it, leaving only the rectangular framing at the front of the tv showing - it would look like a wall mounted flat screen for no money.

So I started into knocking out the bricks until it struck me that the rear wall of my house largely rested on the 40" or so wide column of wall I was trying to knock a large hole in.

Divine intervention? God noticing my efforts, smiling at the idea but deciding it wasn’t my time to go :slight_smile:

I started that, sorry. Nothing wrong per se (though I find the look a bit cold) but it’s become an interior design cliché because it is so ubiquitous now. Sure wouldn’t that be the definition of ‘cliché’? Something that’s become overused?

I listen to the wireless sometimes and also occasionally read poetry (though there are no rosaries in our house!) :slight_smile:
My objection to over-large, or wall-mounted TVs is that when they are switched off, they are a big, black, ugly rectangle dominating the room and I don’t like that from an interior design POV.

I’m also not a fan of TVs in bedrooms but that’s because I think electronics in bedrooms in general are disturbing and I like my sleep. I also love reading so books are enough entertainment for me in the bedroom, if there’s nothing better to be doing…

+1000 :frowning: