Would you buy a house that flooded?

I saw a house that’s very nice but the major flaw is that it flooded in the big flood if 2012 -13 (sorry can’t remember the year but remember the flood!)

If you could insure it, would it still put you right off? I have no idea yet of the work done or proposed by the council in relation to the area.

I have heard a few say once a house floods it’s never the same, is this true?

Very hard to get insurance, and rightly so on properties that flood.
No insurance - no mortgage

Flooding of a house is a fairly awful experience and not one id like to experience first hand.

Not a chance,life is too short to be fretting every time theres a downpour.

You know the interview cliche where someone asks about your strengths and you answer ‘I learn from the mistakes of others’'.

Well, this is one of those times.

no, I definitely wouldn’t buy it

No

Back of the envelope calculation:

If it flooded once every 7 years, and cost 5% of the value of the house each time, then over a 50 year lifespan of the house it would cost about 35% of the house. So you should only pay about 65% of the value of an equivalent un-flood-able house, less the value of the hassle and worry involved.

So a house that floods should be worth about 50-65% of one which doesn’t.

nice way to think of it.
But flood damage costs on average 30k per incident
AFAIK

Some impacts of flooding below

[code]Damage to properties, commercial, residential, industrial, agricultural, residents institutional etc.

Immediate risks to life and health of residents

Damage to contents

Loss of memorabilia or pets

Clean-up costs

Disruption in services, transport etc.

Evacuation costs

Worry and stress at time of flooding (event worry and stress)

Alternative accommodation costs

Ongoing worry and stress caused
by the fear of future flooding (post-event
worry and stress)

Costs of restoring public services

Long-term health effects

Loss of property values (including
agricultural land). [/code]
opw.ie/media/Report%20of%20t … 0Group.pdf

If it ticked most/all boxes and work had been undertaken in the area to decrease the chances of it happening again, I’d consider it, if not, no way.

I would but I wouldn’t pay what would otherwise be considered market rate.
If I was happy that the location couldn’t ever flood to anything above knee height I’d give it consideration and bid no more than 50% of what would be market price but I’d decorate downstairs accordingly, have sandbags always ready and an elevated parking space for my car.
Would an EA sell to me? Probably not. They’d probably wait in the hope that someone with more money than sense happens along and sell to them at closer to perceived market rate.

I think that is the key question – is it likely to flood again?

Have you had any interesting dreams lately, unusual or curious imagery that made no sense to you.

Its like asking if you would pay full whack for a written off car,also you could be forced out of the house for upwards of a year as it gets repaired.

Short answer - No

Long answer - Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

You can mitigate the damage by renovating the house to make it more flood tolerant, tiled floors, cement boards instead of plaster board on the walls and electrics that are wired from above rather than below. Plus having stuff that can be easily lifted above the water line.

But then again, do you really want to go through the stress of enduring a flood, even in a resilient house!

No

I’m curious what decorating downstairs accordingly would mean.

Inflatable furniture?
Or normal-enough furniture but with tall stainless steel legs so the knee-height water wouldn’t reach the upholstery?

Wall-coverings/paint? Colours?

Maybe if the house looked like this I’d reconsider my earlier “no” (some nice decking going on):

commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File: … e_Myle.jpg

Flood damage is like the undead rising except the zombies are made of human waste.

Raising power sockets. No plasterboard. Tile floors. No wood. No heavy sideboards or similiar which couldn’t be lifted above flood height.
Sandbags would be the primary defence though along with a cheap two stroke water pump.

I’ve given this much consideration while parked in traffic jams trying to get over the Liffey at Lucan. There’s a long row of houses there which cope with the threat of flooding a number of times a year and at certain times of the year they don’t even bother to put away the sandbags. If my choice was to live in an area with flood risk near my place of work or else only be able to afford to commute from Rochfortbridge I’d give the flood risk house consideration.

I seriously doubt that the appropriate discount will turn up in the price. There’ll be enough people who don’t do the research or don’t evaluate the risks correctly, and who’ll end up paying close to full price for a normal house.