Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Severe COLD event - Feb 23rd onwards (10 days)
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:19 am 
Speculator

I have been following Irish Weather Online on facebook for a while now and he is the source of most of the factual based stuff on boards ... he has been monitoring this one quite closely over the last 10 days or so and historically he always urges caution as to how much our forecast can change on an hourly basis due to our Atlantic location - however - this seems to be fairly consistent and is falling in to the almost near forcasting timescales.

My fear is that with all the recent Weather warnings we have had that the public will not really take heed of this one when it is eventually given.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:33 am 
Nationalised

Certainly people are running out of time to prepare, but nothing is being done. In remote areas people need to prepare for being unable to get food for up to seven days. They need to prepare for no electricity, no running water, no access to be able to feed animals in fields or sheds. This has the potential to be extremely dangerous.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:49 am 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

I’ve ordered extra oil. We are worried about our pipes and the tank in the uninsulated attic. I’m pondering opening the hatch to the attic a bit to let some warm air from the room below circulate up there.

How often do you think the heating needs to come on to protect the pipes and the tank? It’s an old, large, uninsulated house that is generally freezing.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:12 am 
Of Systemic Importance

croquette wrote:
I’ve ordered extra oil. We are worried about our pipes and the tank in the uninsulated attic. I’m pondering opening the hatch to the attic a bit to let some warm air from the room below circulate up there.

How often do you think the heating needs to come on to protect the pipes and the tank? It’s an old, large, uninsulated house that is generally freezing.

I wouldn't worry too much. As long as you're using the heating and water, there will be enough regular movement to stop ice forming even if it was very cold up there, and unless you've insulated under the tank (bad practice) there will be enough heat rising to keep the temps a few degrees above.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:14 am 
Nationalised

I wouldn't worry too much about it. The house is cold because the attic is warm! Usually problems occur when people insulate their attic really well but then miss a pipe that is hard to reach. Often that pipe is the rising main or the supply to an electric shower.

Snow also has a great insulating effect (0.07W/m.k) so even a few inches transform the worst drafty old place into a lovely snug house.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:18 am 

Coles2 wrote:
I wouldn't worry too much about it. The house is cold because the attic is warm! Usually problems occur when people insulate their attic really well but then miss a pipe that is hard to reach. Often that pipe is the rising main or the supply to an electric shower.

Snow also has a great insulating effect (0.07W/m.k) so even a few inches transform the worst drafty old place into a lovely snug house.

Ah. Thanks. Pity we will laregly be away when the snow comes to warm the house (hope to sort the insulation before next winter).

@eschatologist Thanks. Fingers crossed.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:57 am 
Nationalised

Coles2 wrote:
Certainly people are running out of time to prepare, but nothing is being done. In remote areas people need to prepare for being unable to get food for up to seven days. They need to prepare for no electricity, no running water, no access to be able to feed animals in fields or sheds. This has the potential to be extremely dangerous.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a bit of a prepper but in this case that sounds like scaremongering. No reputable source seems to be forecasting anything worse than -5c for a few hours at a time with a few mm of precipitation on the worst days. If people don't drive like idiots they'll be fine.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:26 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

Mantissa wrote:
Coles2 wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I'm a bit of a prepper but in this case that sounds like scaremongering. No reputable source seems to be forecasting anything worse than -5c for a few hours at a time with a few mm of precipitation on the worst days. If people don't drive like idiots they'll be fine.

It's too far out to forecast precipitation but 1mm precipitation = 1cm snow so it doesn't take much.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:07 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Sun is blindingly clear and warm here in north England today. Dusted the driest ice I've ever seen off the car window this morning.

Those who don't study history are doomed to repeat it. Those who do study history are doomed to watch everyone else repeating it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:42 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

This thread had me thinking about snow a week before I needed to ! There's enough anxiety in the world already without preemption.

My iPhone weather app now shows snowing every day Tuesday to Saturday in Dublin. But no snow at all for Cork or Galway. Oxford is already freezing, London and Paris will only get snow 1 day.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:18 pm 
Neo Landlord

Right bit of an Artic bite to the air out there this afternoon. Well more than we are accustommed to anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:26 pm 

Well played met eireann,orange alerts for ground frost but not a whisper about this ice monstrosity barrelling in from Siberia.Rang the parents who hadn't a fcoking scooby what I was on about.
The oil tank is down to 3 inches so just as well I rang them.

"In a nation ruled by swine, all pigs are upwardly mobile—and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. We owe that to ourselves and our crippled self-image as something better than a nation of panicked sheep."
—Hunter S Thompson-The Great Shark Hunt, 1979

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:03 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Brrrrrrrr for two weeks, at least

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:51 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Only time will tell how it pans out but the lads on the boards.ie weather thread are beside themselves with excitement. Apparently the models are holding up and the predictions are looking ever more likely.

Have just picked up about two weeks supply of briquettes and logs for the multi-fuel inset stove. With a cold-ish early 1980s house, the fire is a nice supplement in any cold weather. Plus I don't want to be entirely dependent on the gas heating (which of course also needs electricity for the boiler and a constant water supply.)

Not too worried about food as I'm within walking distance of several supermarkets, not to mention pubs, restaurants, takeaways etc...they're hardly all going to run out of stuff.

Wonder what the chances of a day or two off work will be?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:47 pm 
Too Big to Fail

MetÉireann forecasting coldest -10, in Connemara
https://twitter.com/JoannaDonnellyL/sta ... 4656300032

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 14  Next