Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » Sell, Buy or Rent?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2131 posts ]  [Go to page]   1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 214  Next
 Post subject: The "Is that value I see?" thread.....
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:39 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

So, with all those 400k apartments out there you'd be forgiven for thinking there is a sellers strike when it comes to pricing to sell.

Looks like probate will out.......

This to me is a fair price:

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/search ... EBCX370660

Any other examples out there......

Post subject: Re: The "is that value I see" thread.....
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:42 pm 
Too Big to Fail

It looks to me like that place needs a fair amount of work - how many people earn the 250k+ a year you'd need to be earning for non-bubble mortgage for this?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:04 pm 
Back Home with Mammy

750k for an ugly 4 bed in monkstown during a recession, are you insane?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:32 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

a) it's hideous
b) it's "In need of complete modernisation and refurbishment"

€750K? Value? Yer having a laugh, it's a derelict wreck, you'd need to spend €150K at least to get it up to remotely acceptable standards. Given sane lending criteria of 4x a very good wage if it was modernised then I figure residual value is under €100K right now.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:58 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

The best value I've personally seen so far is a place in D14 where the asking price has fallen to 2001/2002 levels. But judging by the rent other identical houses in the estate achieve, it's still overpriced by approx. 20% (applying the 14 times annual gross rental metric).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:22 am 
Under CAB Investigation

Have you seen how tiny the living rooms are in that house? They are very tiny, both are less than 2.75m wide. Realistically speaking you'd have to build a significant extension to the rear and use the front rooms as a study and playroom. Other than that I guess you could make the kitchen into a livingroom, make the breakfastroom and adjoining livingroom into a kitchen/diner and leave one small livingroom as a playroom/study. But even still you would be spending close to a million euro between the price, the renovation and the SD. Not really worth it for a small, suburban detached house, is it?

I can see why it appears like good value. It is compared to so many properties currently available. But our perceptions of value have been warped in these last few years. This house is probably worth 1/3 of the asking.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:47 am 
Too Big to Fail

I think there is still a fair bit of denial out there.

In a recent discussion with some relatives, it was mentioned that a house up the road (in good condition) was for sale for 700k, and I was scoffed at when I commented that the seller should bite the hand off anyone offering close to 700k, as 4 beds in south county Dublin would be available for 400 - 500k in another few months.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:52 am 
First Time Buyer

It's a on a really really busy road to the front, and an even busier one to the side...definitely not good value!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:56 am 
Under CAB Investigation

the edge wrote:
as 4 beds in south county Dublin would be available for 400 - 500k in another few months.

You might be being optimistic about it happening in a few months. The level of denial in Ireland and the slowness of this crash is utterly depressing. :(

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:15 am 
Nationalised

iguana wrote:
the edge wrote:
as 4 beds in south county Dublin would be available for 400 - 500k in another few months.

You might be being optimistic about it happening in a few months. The level of denial in Ireland and the slowness of this crash is utterly depressing. :(

It's accelerating rapidly. A look at the 'treesdon'tgrowtothesky' chart below shows that very clearly. But I agree that the sooner it's over the better...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2131 posts ]  [Go to page]   1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 214  Next

Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » Sell, Buy or Rent?