Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » Sell, Buy or Rent?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  [Go to page]   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: What is the cheapest way to heat water?
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 1:42 pm 
Offline
Nationalised
User avatar

Joined: Jan 4, 2013
Posts: 17351
Terra Incognita wrote:

Well thats what the Coffee machine is for dhuuu!


No, that's what the variable-temperature kettle is for!

_________________
— Try, fail, understand, win. —


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What is the cheapest way to heat water?
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 1:46 pm 
Offline
Neo Landlord

Joined: Aug 22, 2009
Posts: 296
marcexec wrote:
Regarding the legality, it's outlined here: http://www.solarenergyireland.com/Infor ... water.html.


Aren't there also legalities in terms of how hot you have to get the water (to prevent legionnaire's disease or something)??.....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What is the cheapest way to heat water?
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 2:33 pm 
Offline
Real Estate Developer

Joined: Feb 17, 2013
Posts: 874
Last place I rented had a little mini-tank under the sink and an immersion type switch up top - never used it as I never trusted it and suspected it wasn't very energy efficient - presume it was for doing the washing up?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What is the cheapest way to heat water?
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 2:39 pm 
Offline
Single Home Owner

Joined: Jul 8, 2012
Posts: 145
Location: D14
Sammy wrote:
marcexec wrote:
Regarding the legality, it's outlined here: http://www.solarenergyireland.com/Infor ... water.html.


Aren't there also legalities in terms of how hot you have to get the water (to prevent legionnaire's disease or something)??.....



I guess that's more for professional food preparation etc.
Why would it be possible to adjust the temperature of CH & HW at home then?

On the note of the backboiler sucking away heat - if you insulate to proper standards this is actually desired and useful (to avoid living room = sauna).
Some regulation can obviously be done with the pump. There are very nice ones available on the continent (to me the Irish offers look all the same, e.g. http://www.thestovedepot.ie/index.php?i ... &id_lang=1) with various water vs air heating power ratios, e.g. https://translate.google.ie/translate?h ... eoefen.htm (Disclosure: my dad's page).

Within my family alone I know of a 50's and a 2000's house which are only heated with sun and wood all year, and that's in Germany with a "real" winter.

_________________
No man's life, liberty, or property is safe while the legislature is in session.
- Mark Twain (1866)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What is the cheapest way to heat water?
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 3:08 pm 
Offline
Single Home Owner

Joined: Aug 15, 2013
Posts: 142
My Aeropress claims the water that comes out of these things is usually at the right temperature (80 - 85C). Sadly I don't have one, or one of those fancy kettles, so making coffee with it is a bit of a crapshoot.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What is the cheapest way to heat water?
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 5:00 pm 
Offline
Nationalised
User avatar

Joined: Jan 4, 2013
Posts: 17351
That is not hot enough for decent Aeropress results usually. People do brew down that low but 92 is where you need to be aiming usually.

I know it says 80 in the manual but they crazy.

_________________
— Try, fail, understand, win. —


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What is the cheapest way to heat water?
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 10:11 am 
Offline
Single Home Owner

Joined: Aug 15, 2013
Posts: 142
Mantissa wrote:
That is not hot enough for decent Aeropress results usually. People do brew down that low but 92 is where you need to be aiming usually.

I know it says 80 in the manual but they crazy.

Thanks, good to know! I'm still experimenting.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What is the cheapest way to heat water?
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 10:15 am 
Offline
Nationalised
User avatar

Joined: Jan 4, 2013
Posts: 17351
SerialPartier wrote:
Mantissa wrote:
That is not hot enough for decent Aeropress results usually. People do brew down that low but 92 is where you need to be aiming usually.

I know it says 80 in the manual but they crazy.

Thanks, good to know! I'm still experimenting.


Lower temp => longer steeping time

_________________
— Try, fail, understand, win. —


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What is the cheapest way to heat water?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:05 pm 
Offline
Nationalised
User avatar

Joined: Jan 4, 2013
Posts: 17351
Just re-reading this thread and this struck me:

Terra Incognita wrote:
Hot water for showers and the hot tap is 40 degrees.


I thought that was a dangerous temperature to hold water at?

Quote:
Legionella bacteria is commonly found in water. The bacteria multiply where temperatures are between 20-45°C and nutrients are available. The bacteria are dormant below 20°C and do not survive above 60°C.

...


Hot water storage cylinders (calorifiers) should store water at 60°C or higher

Hot water should be distributed at 50°C or higher (thermostatic mixer valves need to be fitted as close as possible to outlets, where a scald risk is identified).


From http://www.hse.gov.uk/healthservices/legionella.htm

_________________
— Try, fail, understand, win. —


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What is the cheapest way to heat water?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:09 pm 
Offline
Nationalised

Joined: Sep 29, 2010
Posts: 8788
Location: London, innit
Mantissa wrote:
Just re-reading this thread and this struck me:

Terra Incognita wrote:
Hot water for showers and the hot tap is 40 degrees.


I thought that was a dangerous temperature to hold water at?

Quote:
Legionella bacteria is commonly found in water. The bacteria multiply where temperatures are between 20-45°C and nutrients are available. The bacteria are dormant below 20°C and do not survive above 60°C.

...


Hot water storage cylinders (calorifiers) should store water at 60°C or higher

Hot water should be distributed at 50°C or higher (thermostatic mixer valves need to be fitted as close as possible to outlets, where a scald risk is identified).


From http://www.hse.gov.uk/healthservices/legionella.htm


for geothermal etc you typically store it at lowish temps but briefly raise the temperature once a week for the reason you mentioned


Top
 Profile  
 



Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  [Go to page]   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

    Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » Sell, Buy or Rent?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  

Follow, Retweet @dailypinster



Pyramid Built, Is Better Built! - Latest Property Discussions www.thepropertypin.com