Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » Sell, Buy or Rent?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  [Go to page]   Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: What is the cheapest way to heat water?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:42 pm 
Offline
Back Home with Mammy

Joined: Jan 26, 2015
Posts: 63
Thanks for the info Gleo - I have a danfoss zoned temperature and water controller that i'm hoping to re-use to save costs. Hope this is feasible?

Where did you source the Stelrad radiators in the end? Any ideas on cost?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What is the cheapest way to heat water?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:05 am 
Offline
Neo Landlord

Joined: May 10, 2009
Posts: 225
Mantissa wrote:
Sadly I have been told that solar hot water does not make sense for my new place, due to a combination of awkward plumbing routes and lack of space for a big cylinder. Looks like we're going to go the other way and ditch the cylinder altogether for a combo boiler.

resuscitating this thread after a bit, @Mantissa what did you go with in the end? (and are you happy with it?)

in renovation mode atm and appear to be stuck in gray area where a combi won't work (water pressure too low, demand potentially too high) but don't really want to go with a traditional vented cylinder + boiler.

is a pressurised system with a storage combi (no cylinder) a practical / cost-effective solution?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What is the cheapest way to heat water?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:32 am 
Offline
Nationalised
User avatar

Joined: Jan 4, 2013
Posts: 17351
NorvilleBarnes wrote:
Mantissa wrote:
Sadly I have been told that solar hot water does not make sense for my new place, due to a combination of awkward plumbing routes and lack of space for a big cylinder. Looks like we're going to go the other way and ditch the cylinder altogether for a combo boiler.

resuscitating this thread after a bit, @Mantissa what did you go with in the end? (and are you happy with it?)

in renovation mode atm and appear to be stuck in gray area where a combi won't work (water pressure too low, demand potentially too high) but don't really want to go with a traditional vented cylinder + boiler.

is a pressurised system with a storage combi (no cylinder) a practical / cost-effective solution?


Sorry for the delay, don't log in much any more.

I love the combi boiler. It feels to me like this is how hot water should be done; you want hot water, you turn on the hot tap. You don't want any more, you turn off the hot tap -- it "just works". The idea of going back to immersion would feel a bit like going back to cooking over an open fire :-D

The fact that we were able to ditch the cylinder and reclaim the hot press as a much-needed coat closet is also a definite bonus. Boiler was sized by the plumber based on the number of bathrooms, etc. We still have a cold water tank that feeds the boiler (I presume?) and a pump for both hot and cold water so no water pressure issues.

We've been in for over a year now; only maintenance has been that I needed to re-pressurise the system once (took 5 mins once I watched the instructional YouTube video) and it's now due the annual boiler service. It's also hooked up to my Nest thermostat for the central heating.

I suspect this is not the *cheapest* way to heat water, but it certainly provides an excellent user experience.

tl;dr: Combi boilers are the shizzle.

_________________
— Try, fail, understand, win. —


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What is the cheapest way to heat water?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:48 pm 
Offline
Planning Tribunal Attendee

Joined: Aug 2, 2011
Posts: 1248
Mantissa wrote:
I love the combi boiler. It feels to me like this is how hot water should be done; you want hot water, you turn on the hot tap. You don't want any more, you turn off the hot tap -- it "just works". The idea of going back to immersion would feel a bit like going back to cooking over an open fire


I totally agree. Modern combis get the water up to temp really quickly (there used to be quite a lag: tepid, warm, hot. Insulated or not, a storage vessel can't but leak heat > money. Heck, you've an expansion pipe located on the top of them vented to outside the building or attic.

Quote:
Boiler was sized by the plumber based on the number of bathrooms, etc. We still have a cold water tank that feeds the boiler (I presume?) and a pump for both hot and cold water so no water pressure issues.


I fed mine from mains. Great pressure and no pumps to hear/worry about. Sure, if there's a water outage - but it's not like a tank is going to provide much by way of water to a family in need of bathing for long.

Quote:
We've been in for over a year now; only maintenance has been that I needed to re-pressurise the system once (took 5 mins once I watched the instructional YouTube video) and it's now due the annual boiler service. It's also hooked up to my Nest thermostat for the central heating.


I've a Worchester, which, if using their Wave controls (which takes it's outside temp data from the web rather than a probe) brings with it a 9 year parts and labour warranty. You've to get your boiler serviced annually by their service eng but still a good deal. There was something like 1200 euro to be had back in grants which puts a dent in the cost of installation.

Quote:
I suspect this is not the *cheapest* way to heat water, but it certainly provides an excellent user experience.
[/quote]

It's probably the cheapest way if a straightforward upgrade is desired.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What is the cheapest way to heat water?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:32 pm 
Offline
Property Magnate

Joined: Jun 30, 2008
Posts: 746
Location: Dublin
Related question...is there such a thing as an A rated water cylinder (for use with a standard gas boiler)? I'm not finding one on Google :cry:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What is the cheapest way to heat water?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:03 am 
Offline
Nationalised

Joined: Sep 29, 2010
Posts: 8788
Location: London, innit
Terra Incognita wrote:
Mantissa wrote:
I wonder though - if you have an efficient boiler that you're using to hear water with anyway, and a well-insulated tank, could the in-tap heating really beat it. Very convenient though.

An example of the ones I mean: http://tapmagic.ie/product/the-prince-a ... s-product/

Mrs TI wants this one: http://www.quooker.co.uk/enuk#p3egPbqLTFMhZAZ9.97

I'm not convinced they are are efficient as they claim. They do appear to have a small insulated reservoir of hot water below the sink so that the heating element brings it up to the final 98 degrees just as it come out of the tap. I'm not sure that having this reservoir of hot water waiting to be used is like an energy efficient TV on standby all the time.


Anyone get this hot water heater/dispenser or other brand?

It's not as efficient as claimed probably but if you have PV power it might be OK as doesn't need a power surge which would dip into the grid?

Fitting a timer at night would help....

But then if you've an induction hob heating water only takes a jiffy anyway???


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What is the cheapest way to heat water?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:18 pm 
Offline
Under CAB Investigation

Joined: Mar 31, 2009
Posts: 1919
Really great thread.

Earlier there was mention of solar collectors vs PV panels for heating water. (New to this topic so forgive the basic questions). Is there a reason why PV panels can't or shouldn't be used for heating water? We have an electric vehicle and would ultimately like to power it, at least partly, with solar so I'm wondering if we should get PV panels that could do a bit of both (water and car)?

Asked a plumber about getting a new cylinder as we rarely seem to have hot water, except in depths of winter when heating is on a lot. The cylinder is rubbish, loses heat in an hour or two, so we use the electric shower a lot. He suggests a Mega-flo system, also mentioned earlier in this thread.

I'm now leaning towards getting the megaflo system (unvented system, pressurised to 3 bar), and then the following year adding solar collectors. This would, I hope, give us solar-heated, high pressure water in summer and then the oil boiler would pick up the slack in winter.

Main fear is going with solar thermal collectors and then wishing we'd gone with PV in a few years. (But I read somewhere that running an EV on solar would require a huge surface area of PVs unless the tech improves fast (which it is)).


Top
 Profile  
 



Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  [Go to page]   Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

    Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » Sell, Buy or Rent?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  

Follow, Retweet @dailypinster



Pyramid Built, Is Better Built! - Latest Property Discussions www.thepropertypin.com