Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 564 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38
 Post subject: Re: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:12 pm 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/65-olcovar-shankill-county-dublin/4105202

Olcovar estate in Shankill is one of those high density developments with parking spaces where front gardens used to be and the colour is predominantly Rational Window Yellow.

The above is a 3 storey 120 sqm unit with 4 beds and three baths. Yet they've designed it so that your dining table is in your living room - just like a 2 bed apartment.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:54 am 
Too Big to Fail

Lefournier3 wrote:
jmc wrote:
Its pretty much a given in the Seattle area that if you see some huge hideous McMansion recently built or added onto its probably a Microsoftie owner. The worst example of this is Simonyi's $10M plus "architectural gem" on the lake just up from Bills place. Its basically Hungarian White Trash Kitsch designed by an expensive architect..

http://seattle-mansions.blogspot.com/2011/05/simonyis-windows-2000-house.html

I remember a big spread in the Sunday edition of the Seattle Times around 2000 with lots of carefully lit interior shots. Absolutely hideous taste everywhere. Very very expensive hideousness.

It's challenging and very intrusive on the lakefront but at least it has a consistent vision to unify all those shapes. It is "Windows 2000" but the windows in this house are not fighting each other, as they do in most McMansions. I'd be interested in seeing the interior. I wonder if the exterior is simply the expression of an interior plan?
[Simony is not "Hungarian White Trash" - his father was a Professor of Electrical Engineering. And Martha Stewart was his long-time girlfriend! ]

You should have seen the inside of the house. Absolutely hideous. Given the normal run of the mill lots of money / no taste sunday supplement pieces run at the time his house was particularly memorable. And not in a good way. It almost reached Madonna Inn standards of gilt edged kitsch. But at least the Madonna Inn in San Luis Obispo, in the good old days, was a genuine joy to wander around. So natural and unforced was its utterly unapologetic style. At Christmas it was like a LSD trip with art direction by a cross between Busby Berkeley and Mary Kay. Intoxicating surreal insanity.

I always thought Simonyi was just the usual back stabbing political survivor who crawled to the top over the bodies of the people he had stabbed in the front. The Microsoft Way. The "white trash" angle was noted by some eastern europeans who worked on the Eastside. Profs in Communist Eastern Europe / Russia were very badly paid and had zero social status. And during the periodic purges were the first to be rounded up and sent to the camps. Know someone whose grandfather and two uncles, all profs in the Soviet Union, died in camps in the 1930's and 1940's. So most people with real ability kept a very low profile or became something safe like janitors. Because being one of the "cosmopolitan" class was often as dangerous as being in a Shtrafbats penal battalion.

Ah, Martha, or rather the very upwardly mobile Martha Kostyra. Lets just say that both she and Simonyi came from the same kind of very marginal "middle class" background. And neither gained a cute and cuddly reputation as they scrambled to the top. Martha at least has a very well developed and economic demographically well targeted sense of taste, but neither have any class to speak of. They both try way too hard to leave behind what they once were. So very insecure nouveau. Thats why the Feds were able to bang her up for what was a very minor offense. A more secure person would have trusted the very good tactical advice she was getting. Which would have got her a plea bargain and no jail time.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:44 pm 
Property Magnate

looking at this picture you wouldnt think this place was right on the N11

nice house but 1.8m to live on the countries busiest road,

no thanks

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/broch ... -4/4294110

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:15 pm 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

cyrusir wrote:
nice house but 1.8m to live on the countries busiest road

Not just the busiest road, but the worst possible spot on the busiest road - right at a traffic light. Think of what happens when the lights go green.

I'd be more concerned with the health risk than anything else.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:11 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

I like it - set well back from the road so traffic noise will not be to bad assuming good insulation.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:02 pm 
Neo Landlord

Luan wrote:
I like it - set well back from the road so traffic noise will not be to bad assuming good insulation.

seriously?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:48 pm 
Nationalised

shweeney wrote:
Luan wrote:

seriously?

Get an extra glaze on every window and the house will be dead quiet.
I manage property (literally) on the quays in Dublin city centre.
Th extra glaze kills the noise.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:57 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

mr_anderson wrote:
Get an extra glaze on every window and the house will be dead quiet.
I manage property (literally) on the quays in Dublin city centre.
Th extra glaze kills the noise.

Not in the garden it doesn't.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:33 pm 
Nationalised

for the money I'd like to be able to open a window in summer

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 564 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38