Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » Sell, Buy or Rent?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  [Go to page]   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: The renovations thread
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 8:57 pm 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

Link to a useful thread from boards.ie where people speak on that which they'd have done differently in hindsight. A lot of stuff relevant to new build but applicable to a refurb.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055263035

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 8:36 am 
Under CAB Investigation

Mantissa wrote:
york wrote:
Another thing (I've learned to own cost) is getting the divide wrong between renovating and ripping out.

Taking that to its logical conclusion, I often wonder why people spend more to renovate than the cost of knocking and rebuilding from scratch (to a better standard).

Confession: I watch Room to Improve.

In about every second house it starts off with 'we just want to change a few bits around' and ends up stripping back the whole house to the bare walls and roof. Often the roof has to be replaced or strengthened even. This seems to cost €200k-€250k.

€220k is the rebuild cost for insurance purposes for my 110sqm 3-bed semi. Why don't more people just knock and rebuild in Ireland?

I've seen it in small-town Germany a bit. Take a draughty 1950s house on its own plot, knock it and start again.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 9:35 am 
Property Magnate

Eschatologist wrote:
cyrusir wrote:
Not sure if there is one of this already, but i thought a thread detailing peoples experiences in buying older houses and then renovating might be useful.

Renovation Threads
viewtopic.php?f=53&t=61338

thanks for that

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 9:35 am 
Property Magnate

york wrote:
Link to a useful thread from boards.ie where people speak on that which they'd have done differently in hindsight. A lot of stuff relevant to new build but applicable to a refurb.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055263035

cheers ian!

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 10:17 am 
Under CAB Investigation

Luan wrote:
Experience gives a perspective on the real cost of building/returning/maintaining a property :)

Yep! Had a similar experience doing up the bathrooms to a modern standard. Didn't even go wild on tiles or sanitary ware but it still cost a small fortune. The house was fine when we moved in but a bit jaded. Thinking back to some genuine doer-uppers we viewed I can't imagine how much a proper overhaul must cost.

Room to Improve has some educational value in that the costs run over and there are unforeseen problems and delays with windows etc. but it's all sewn up in 55 minutes so before you know it everyone is having a laugh at the after-party. Nobody remembers the stress and the costs because the kitchen is beautiful and they have vertical radiators now.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 10:36 am 

Skippy 3 wrote:
Why don't more people just knock and rebuild in Ireland?

It revolves around how sound the house is to start with. It costs a significant amount of money to "get out of the ground". That is: dig and lay foundations and rising walls, lay sewerage, lay floor slab. And it costs to build walls, chimney and floor/roof wood structures. And it costs to demolish and dig out what's there is placing new on old footprint

If the above are reasonably sound then you're way ahead of a new build (so long as you're not remodelling the existing base structure beyond economic limits). It doesn't take that long to rip a building down to core.

A new build is also subject to comparatively onerous input from professionals. Cost and complexity.

The error comes in trying to rework that which is crumbling - but if you simply tear down to solid core then you're not that different to a new build brought to that state of progression.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 10:43 am 
Nationalised

Ixelles wrote:
Nobody remembers the stress and the costs because the kitchen is beautiful and they have vertical radiators now.

Am I the only one who doesn't like those full-height vertical rads? Yes they free up some horizontal space, but they take away from picture-hanging space. Also if you have a good plumber who calculates the BTUs actually needed in a room you might find a big vertical rad can be far too much for some rooms.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 10:47 am 
Nationalised

Skippy 3 wrote:
Why don't more people just knock and rebuild in Ireland?

A lot of it seems to be psychological. People keep telling me for example that it's impossible to knock & rebuild a semi-D, respite the fact that it's eminently possible, done all over the world, and I watched a terraced house being knocked and rebuilt in SCD over the last year. Irish builders & architects just aren't used to it as it's not the norm here.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 11:14 am 

Mantissa wrote:
Ixelles wrote:
Nobody remembers the stress and the costs because the kitchen is beautiful and they have vertical radiators now.

Am I the only one who doesn't like those full-height vertical rads? Yes they free up some horizontal space, but they take away from picture-hanging space. Also if you have a good plumber who calculates the BTUs actually needed in a room you might find a big vertical rad can be far too much for some rooms.

Not mad on them myself - rads can be ugly at the best of times. if letting the plumber do the calc then he might well be working off the fact that houses in Ireland are poorly insulated. Had a guy spec up a double panel rad for a small bedroom and I overruled for a single panel and smaller overall size due to the insulation going in. Even that's been cranked down in flow and is virtually never on - what with hot air rising upstairs anyway. In fact, we don't turn the rads on in any of the bedrooms ever

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 9:46 am 
Single Home Owner

york wrote:
Mantissa wrote:
Ixelles wrote:

Not mad on them myself - rads can be ugly at the best of times. if letting the plumber do the calc then he might well be working off the fact that houses in Ireland are poorly insulated. Had a guy spec up a double panel rad for a small bedroom and I overruled for a single panel and smaller overall size due to the insulation going in. Even that's been cranked down in flow and is virtually never on - what with hot air rising upstairs anyway. In fact, we don't turn the rads on in any of the bedrooms ever

what are your thoughts about underfloor heating? We are contemplating removing some internal walls to open out the rooms at the back which will give space but I really don't want to take up too much of the remaining wall space with radiators.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  [Go to page]   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » Sell, Buy or Rent?