Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » Sell, Buy or Rent?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  [Go to page]   Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: AirBnB planning permission Dublin?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:37 pm 
Offline
Too Big to Fail
User avatar

Joined: May 6, 2008
Posts: 4836
Location: the nearest faraway place
And to think AirBnB was start in California by people offering floor space on air mattresses for cash strapped developers to attend a conference after the financial crash. Did they ever envisage family homes would be encompassed as temporary lets?

_________________
Every single frozen corpse in the Death Zone on Everest was once a highly motivated person.

Those who don't study history are doomed to repeat it. Those who do study history are doomed to watch everyone else repeating it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: AirBnB planning permission Dublin?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:47 pm 
Offline
Property Magnate

Joined: May 30, 2008
Posts: 501
OrphanAndy wrote:
A guy in my office was selling me the advantages of renting my spare room on Airbnb- he rent the apartment himself but decided to rent out the second room to cover the entire rent on the place (its in D7 and he gets €60 a night during the week and €90-120 on the weekend nights).


€60 less taxes (assuming higher rate) is about €28, less the costs of linen, extra heating, higher insurance, wear and tear, any bit of food or drink he might have to make available, plus the hassle of keeping the place clean, maintaining the online listing, being nice to people etc. He'll probably be netting less than a tenner once the tax starts being collected properly and a monetary value is put on abstract things like privacy, stress etc. Put it this way-if you came home to find a stranger sitting in your living room would you pay a tenner to get rid of them?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: AirBnB planning permission Dublin?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:17 pm 
Offline
Real Estate Developer

Joined: Apr 28, 2010
Posts: 797
theschmuck wrote:
OrphanAndy wrote:
A guy in my office was selling me the advantages of renting my spare room on Airbnb- he rent the apartment himself but decided to rent out the second room to cover the entire rent on the place (its in D7 and he gets €60 a night during the week and €90-120 on the weekend nights).


€60 less taxes (assuming higher rate) is about €28,
less the costs of linen, extra heating, higher insurance, wear and tear, any bit of food or drink he might have to make available, plus the hassle of keeping the place clean, maintaining the online listing, being nice to people etc. He'll probably be netting less than a tenner once the tax starts being collected properly and a monetary value is put on abstract things like privacy, stress etc. Put it this way-if you came home to find a stranger sitting in your living room would you pay a tenner to get rid of them?


:D :D :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: AirBnB planning permission Dublin?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:52 am 
Offline
Nationalised

Joined: Oct 29, 2007
Posts: 11790
Location: Multiverse
catbear wrote:
And to think AirBnB was start in California by people offering floor space on air mattresses for cash strapped developers to attend a conference after the financial crash. Did they ever envisage family homes would be encompassed as temporary lets?


It's just a more sophisticated version of the Spanish student staying with a family.
Their idea was new, but the practice wasn't.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: AirBnB planning permission Dublin?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:46 am 
Offline
Nationalised

Joined: Oct 29, 2007
Posts: 11790
Location: Multiverse
theschmuck wrote:
OrphanAndy wrote:
A guy in my office was selling me the advantages of renting my spare room on Airbnb- he rent the apartment himself but decided to rent out the second room to cover the entire rent on the place (its in D7 and he gets €60 a night during the week and €90-120 on the weekend nights).


€60 less taxes (assuming higher rate) is about €28, less the costs of linen, extra heating, higher insurance, wear and tear, any bit of food or drink he might have to make available, plus the hassle of keeping the place clean, maintaining the online listing, being nice to people etc. He'll probably be netting less than a tenner once the tax starts being collected properly and a monetary value is put on abstract things like privacy, stress etc. Put it this way-if you came home to find a stranger sitting in your living room would you pay a tenner to get rid of them?



Could the friend offset the rent he is paying to his landlord against the rental income he gets from airbnb ?
Thereby pushing out the point at which he becomes liable for tax.

If he's paying €2,000 per month for a 2 bed, that's €12,000 per room per annum.
If he earns less than €12,000 with Airbnb, does he pay no tax at all ?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: AirBnB planning permission Dublin?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:17 pm 
Offline
Of Systemic Importance

Joined: Nov 4, 2011
Posts: 6049
Location: SthDub
There's bound to be constitutional challenges to this, or at least widespread ignoring of it

Landlords face new Airbnb ban from next June
-Landlords facing a new Airbnb ban from next summer
-Landlords will effectively be banned from renting properties on a short-term basis in Dublin and other areas of high housing demand
-Housing Minister called on to bring rules into place before June 2019
https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/l ... 56385.html
Quote:
Measures to be announced by Housing Minister Eoghan Murphy today will mean that only the principal residence, or family home, can be rented on a short-term basis.
But owners will have to tell the local authority that they intend to avail of an exemption allowing them to 'homeshare'.
In addition, they will not be allowed to rent for more than 14 days at a time, and for longer than 90 days a year.

The rules will come into force on June 1 next, with Mr Murphy saying that outside the family home, only properties with permission to operate as a tourist or short-term let could be used for this purpose.
This permission was unlikely to be granted in areas with a housing shortage.
"Planning permission for a change of use to short-term let can be sought and it will be up to each local planning authority to grant permissions, based on guidance that will issue from the Department of Housing," Mr Murphy said.
"In areas of high housing demand and, taking into account other relevant factors such as cumulative impacts, it is unlikely that permission would be granted."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: AirBnB planning permission Dublin?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:44 pm 
Offline
Old Time Landlord

Joined: Dec 5, 2007
Posts: 386
It's all smoke and mirrors, they are showing that they are doing something but it's not actually going to work.

They sold house off the open market to companies who want a return + growth so they push up rents.
The brought out rent pressure zones and distorted the market so LL's get out and switch to Air B&B

There is one simple solution to this stop talking start building.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: AirBnB planning permission Dublin?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:22 pm 
Offline
Nationalised

Joined: Sep 29, 2010
Posts: 8788
Location: London, innit
FreeFallin wrote:
There's bound to be constitutional challenges to this, or at least widespread ignoring of it

Landlords face new Airbnb ban from next June
-Landlords facing a new Airbnb ban from next summer
-Landlords will effectively be banned from renting properties on a short-term basis in Dublin and other areas of high housing demand
-Housing Minister called on to bring rules into place before June 2019
https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/l ... 56385.html
Quote:
Measures to be announced by Housing Minister Eoghan Murphy today will mean that only the principal residence, or family home, can be rented on a short-term basis.
But owners will have to tell the local authority that they intend to avail of an exemption allowing them to 'homeshare'.
In addition, they will not be allowed to rent for more than 14 days at a time, and for longer than 90 days a year.

The rules will come into force on June 1 next, with Mr Murphy saying that outside the family home, only properties with permission to operate as a tourist or short-term let could be used for this purpose.
This permission was unlikely to be granted in areas with a housing shortage.
"Planning permission for a change of use to short-term let can be sought and it will be up to each local planning authority to grant permissions, based on guidance that will issue from the Department of Housing," Mr Murphy said.
"In areas of high housing demand and, taking into account other relevant factors such as cumulative impacts, it is unlikely that permission would be granted."




Why? What's the constitutional issue?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: AirBnB planning permission Dublin?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:29 pm 
Offline
Of Systemic Importance

Joined: Nov 4, 2011
Posts: 6049
Location: SthDub
I'm sure there's a plenty of people out there who believe that they can do what they like (within safety/nuisance boundaries) with a property asset they own/bought and cannot be dictated to on the T's & C's by the Government of the day


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: AirBnB planning permission Dublin?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:32 pm 
Offline
Nationalised

Joined: Sep 29, 2010
Posts: 8788
Location: London, innit
FreeFallin wrote:
I'm sure there's a plenty of people out there who believe that they can do what they like (within safety/nuisance boundaries) with a property asset they own/bought and cannot be dictated to on the T's & C's by the Government of the day



Ever heard of planning permission?
Yo can't start a Bed and Breakfast/beauty parlour/solicitors practice in a house without it

Quote:
Under the new restrictions, owners of buy-to-let properties will have to get planning permission from local councils if they want to use their second homes or apartments for short-term lets, for more than three months every year.


Top
 Profile  
 



Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  [Go to page]   Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next

    Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » Sell, Buy or Rent?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  

Follow, Retweet @dailypinster



Pyramid Built, Is Better Built! - Latest Property Discussions www.thepropertypin.com