Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » Sell, Buy or Rent?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  [Go to page]   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: How much renovation work to do?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:50 pm 
Single Home Owner

Thanks again for your valuable input York - it's great to get such feedback

[quote="york"]You need to get your strategy sorted first. Are you going to go for a walk in condition, which attracts a premium on your input. A good strategy in Dublin, but questionable at your sale price. What does walk in get you for other houses that have sold in the estate?

My own view is that appearances in a marginal case are the first priority vs. deep work. Get the place looking really nice, modern and clean cut .. but cut back on expenditure for anything that lies beyond the surface. The example given of a nice colour on the kitchen doors with a new wooden countertop will get you 75% of the impact of a brand new kitchen for perhaps 25% of the cost. If the kitchen floor tiles really let it down, then there's no point in pimping the kitchen and leaving the tiles. You've to make sure the whole reaches an even standard with as little as possible left to remind where the place is coming from.[quote="york"]

You are nailed on here- this is the key issue. Down there I don't think that walk in condition attracts the same premium that it does in Dublin and any substantial renovation will cost a much higher percentage of the sale price.

[quote="york"]Consider the boiler as a stand alone issue. How much to fit and if fitted, will get a return in terms of being nearer to walk in / BER impact (you might be able to drop something else you'd have to do otherwise to achieve a D and offset this against the boiler) [quote="york"]

I am told that I will get it done for €5k cash. I think this is too much to invest as I don't think I'll get the return on it. I plan to insulate as you suggested earlier

[quote="york"] You have to take a bit of a punt. Either go for an overall, even upgrade in appearance ata BER D or leave alone and let the market rise + your having bought a bargain earn you the money. I don't see the point in a halfway solution.[quote="york"]

Agreed -.i think I'm going to upgrade to BER D, paint everything inluding the kitchen (the countertop there already is very nice so no need to replace) clear the bedrooms of the awful fitted wardrobes
( which I wouldn't have thought of), replace the carpet on the stairs and put in decent curtains and light fittings and give it a thorough clean. What would you do in the bathroom - there is laminate on the floors and tiles on the walls?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:02 am 
Single Home Owner

MyTwoCents wrote:
Here's my tuppence worth, speaking as a fairly recent buyer and female - paint it and deep clean it, put in clean, neutral carpets. Consider loft insulation to improve BER. New heating system also might be welcome to many. I'd be wary of insulation types that can't be easily undone (e.g. wall or spray-on foams). People can have different opinions on insulation and might want to make their own decisions on that.

What I wouldn't bother with - redoing the kitchen and bathroom. As a buyer, I found most new bathrooms and kitchens a turnoff because they were by and large too blingy or too bland for my taste. Excessive tiling is another thing that's difficult to undo and not everyone is a fan of tiles. When I viewed houses with brand new bathrooms and kitchens it always annoyed me that a premium was being factored into the price for a design that mightn't suit us and fittings that we didn't like. I'd rather have the price reduced a little and choose my own fittings.

Oh yeah, and I second getting rid of fitted wardrobes. Give the buyer the clean blank canvas they want.

Thanks for your comments - all very interesting

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:58 am 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

bart wrote:
I am told that I will get it done for €5k cash. I think this is too much to invest as I don't think I'll get the return on it. I plan to insulate as you suggested earlier

This is for a complete heating system I take it? This back boiler you talked about doing just hot water along with an immersion, presumably.

Check out the grant situation. I got something like 1200 back on just a boiler/control install recently. I couldn't have bought the materials alone for what I paid in the end. An over the books install will improve the guarantee confidence aspect as well. Something to be promoted come sale time There's the Home Improvement Grant gig to be considered, it getting VAT back. Have you checked that out?

Quote:
I think I'm going to upgrade to BER D, paint everything including the kitchen (the countertop there already is very nice so no need to replace) clear the bedrooms of the awful fitted wardrobes ( which I wouldn't have thought of), replace the carpet on the stairs and put in decent curtains and light fittings and give it a thorough clean. What would you do in the bathroom - there is laminate on the floors and tiles on the walls?[/color]

I wouldn't bother with curtains, to be honest. Sorting unfinished floorboards, yes.

Hard to know without seeing what can be made of the bathroom. If you're fortunate enough to have white tiles then you could do something like this.
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/4b/64/0a/4b640a08fcc0d38fdb778fdf6458e160--modern-edwardian-bathroom-modern-edwardian-interiors.jpg

If you're handy, you wouldn't go far wrong sticking up some metro tiles around the bath. Done to death of course, but there's life in that old dog yet! Or change a plastic bath side panel for some tongue and groove painted the colour of the walls? Good return for not a lot of work.

There's a general tip to be had out of that bathroom btw - one that can be applied to good effect elsewhere. See how they've painted everything the same colour to eliminate/suppress a clutter of different coloured/textured surfaces?

Typical examples would be the wooden box covering the electricity meter in a hall being painted white, with the walls painted a different colour. Or a white plastic room vent standing out like a sore thumb. Paint them the same colour as the walls and suppress what's ugly / unify and simplify the look. Too many doors in a room? Paint one or more of them the same colour as the walls to suppress and give the illusion of an unbroken wall. Within reason, try to get each room (bar the flooring) down to two colours: woodwork/ceiling/maybe door/radiator = one colour, everything else = the other colour

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:55 pm 
Single Home Owner

york wrote:
bart wrote:

This is for a complete heating system I take it? This back boiler you talked about doing just hot water along with an immersion, presumably.

Check out the grant situation. I got something like 1200 back on just a boiler/control install recently. I couldn't have bought the materials alone for what I paid in the end. An over the books install will improve the guarantee confidence aspect as well. Something to be promoted come sale time There's the Home Improvement Grant gig to be considered, it getting VAT back. Have you checked that out?

No - the back boiler is there already and is heated by the fire - I would consider putting in an oil fired heating system, which I'm told I could get done for 5k. I haven't looked at the home improvement grant but will do - thanks

Quote:
I think I'm going to upgrade to BER D, paint everything including the kitchen (the countertop there already is very nice so no need to replace) clear the bedrooms of the awful fitted wardrobes ( which I wouldn't have thought of), replace the carpet on the stairs and put in decent curtains and light fittings and give it a thorough clean. What would you do in the bathroom - there is laminate on the floors and tiles on the walls?[/color]

I wouldn't bother with curtains, to be honest. Sorting unfinished floorboards, yes.

Hard to know without seeing what can be made of the bathroom. If you're fortunate enough to have white tiles then you could do something like this.
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/4b/64/0a/4b640a08fcc0d38fdb778fdf6458e160--modern-edwardian-bathroom-modern-edwardian-interiors.jpg

If you're handy, you wouldn't go far wrong sticking up some metro tiles around the bath. Done to death of course, but there's life in that old dog yet! Or change a plastic bath side panel for some tongue and groove painted the colour of the walls? Good return for not a lot of work.

There's no bath and no space for one - only a shower.

There's a general tip to be had out of that bathroom btw - one that can be applied to good effect elsewhere. See how they've painted everything the same colour to eliminate/suppress a clutter of different coloured/textured surfaces?

Typical examples would be the wooden box covering the electricity meter in a hall being painted white, with the walls painted a different colour. Or a white plastic room vent standing out like a sore thumb. Paint them the same colour as the walls and suppress what's ugly / unify and simplify the look. Too many doors in a room? Paint one or more of them the same colour as the walls to suppress and give the illusion of an unbroken wall. Within reason, try to get each room (bar the flooring) down to two colours: woodwork/ceiling/maybe door/radiator = one colour, everything else = the other colour

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:05 am 
Under CAB Investigation

If profit is your motive then you should aim to let it.

Gross yield on a property like this would easily be 10%.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:15 am 
Single Home Owner

Skippy 3 wrote:
If profit is your motive then you should aim to let it.

Gross yield on a property like this would easily be 10%.

Quick profit is my motive - I will need need the money to buy a place in Dublin in April/May next year as I can't get a decent mortgage until then.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:24 am 
Under CAB Investigation

bart wrote:

Quick profit is my motive - I will need need the money to buy a place in Dublin in April/May next year as I can't get a decent mortgage until then.

Good luck.

But property prices do not always move one way - read some old threads!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:54 am 
Single Home Owner

Just an update on this and a further question .

I painted the house throughout - including the kitchen presses - installed a new boiler, put new carpet on the states and sanded the wooden floors. Didn't do anything with the tiles or bathroom. Very happy with how it's going so far. The garden out back isn't in great condition - it's just tarmaced - and what's worse is that the state of the neighbours on one side is pretty appalling - all that's between the two is a very badly broken fence.. So my question is should I

1) Put new wooden panels up around the entire garden, which would cost about 1.5k in total - there would be no concreting involved
2) Build a 15m wall between my house and the dodgy neighbours and leave the rest of the garden as it is - it would cost about 2.5k
3) Do nothing

Thanks in advance

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:29 am 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

I would buy mature bamboo trees, about 3 metres high, approx €75 each. They will screen off the dodgy neighbours and look a lot better than those awful panels.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:34 am 
Single Home Owner

croquette wrote:
I would buy mature bamboo trees, about 3 metres high, approx €75 each. They will screen off the dodgy neighbours and look a lot better than those awful panels.

Thanks for that. How many would you need do you think?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  [Go to page]   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » Sell, Buy or Rent?