Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » Sell, Buy or Rent?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  [Go to page]   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: How much renovation work to do?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:39 am 
Offline
Speculator

Joined: Aug 30, 2015
Posts: 464
croquette wrote:
I would buy mature bamboo trees, about 3 metres high, approx €75 each. They will screen off the dodgy neighbours and look a lot better than those awful panels.


I agree with this, for instance you don't have time to plant a laurel or griselinia hedge and get it to the required height to block the view. If planting bamboo don't plant the type that spreads through the ground.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How much renovation work to do?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:40 am 
Offline
Property Magnate

Joined: Mar 30, 2016
Posts: 695
i cant see that being any cheaper

replace the wood panels and paint them to make them look better

however if the garden is tarmac its still not going to be massively appealing to people


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How much renovation work to do?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:52 am 
Offline
Single Home Owner

Joined: Apr 16, 2009
Posts: 146
cyrusir wrote:

however if the garden is tarmac its still not going to be massively appealing to people


I agree - it's the neighbours that are the main concern though.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How much renovation work to do?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:56 am 
Offline
Under CAB Investigation

Joined: Apr 9, 2014
Posts: 2126
bart wrote:
Just an update on this and a further question .

I painted the house throughout - including the kitchen presses - installed a new boiler, put new carpet on the states and sanded the wooden floors. Didn't do anything with the tiles or bathroom. Very happy with how it's going so far. The garden out back isn't in great condition - it's just tarmaced - and what's worse is that the state of the neighbours on one side is pretty appalling - all that's between the two is a very badly broken fence.. So my question is should I

1) Put new wooden panels up around the entire garden, which would cost about 1.5k in total - there would be no concreting involved
2) Build a 15m wall between my house and the dodgy neighbours and leave the rest of the garden as it is - it would cost about 2.5k
3) Do nothing

Thanks in advance

Do nothing or do both fench and relay grass.

IMO you will struggle to recoup the cost of the garden - assuming a sale price of €120-€140k


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How much renovation work to do?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:02 pm 
Offline
Single Home Owner

Joined: Apr 16, 2009
Posts: 146
I'd be happy to get 120k for it. Planning to put it on for 115k.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How much renovation work to do?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:15 pm 
Offline
Of Systemic Importance

Joined: Nov 4, 2011
Posts: 6050
Location: SthDub
bart wrote:
1) Put new wooden panels up around the entire garden, which would cost about 1.5k in total - there would be no concreting involved
2) Build a 15m wall between my house and the dodgy neighbours and leave the rest of the garden as it is - it would cost about 2.5k
3) Do nothing

I'd do #2. The wooden panels will need maintenance and can be damaged.
The wall will give longer term peace of mind and you can plant along your side of it to hide it over time.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How much renovation work to do?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:37 pm 
Offline
Property Magnate

Joined: Mar 30, 2016
Posts: 695
FreeFallin wrote:
bart wrote:
1) Put new wooden panels up around the entire garden, which would cost about 1.5k in total - there would be no concreting involved
2) Build a 15m wall between my house and the dodgy neighbours and leave the rest of the garden as it is - it would cost about 2.5k
3) Do nothing

I'd do #2. The wooden panels will need maintenance and can be damaged.
The wall will give longer term peace of mind and you can plant along your side of it to hide it over time.


long term is not his concern, he wants to present it for sale


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How much renovation work to do?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:58 pm 
Offline
Single Home Owner

Joined: Apr 16, 2009
Posts: 146
Yes - I'm hoping to put it on the market in March


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How much renovation work to do?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:18 pm 
Offline
Planning Tribunal Attendee

Joined: Apr 21, 2008
Posts: 1488
Who do you think will buy it? A family? Someone looking to rent it?

I wouldn't go further then cheap wooden panels whatever the answer. I might consider softening it with a table, chairs and pot plants; all of which is take with me.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How much renovation work to do?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:50 pm 
Offline
Single Home Owner

Joined: Apr 16, 2009
Posts: 146
Probably a young family. Wouldn't be entirely sure though. An investor would get €750 to 800 per month in rent so might consider it also.


Top
 Profile  
 



Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  [Go to page]   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

    Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » Sell, Buy or Rent?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  

Follow, Retweet @dailypinster



Pyramid Built, Is Better Built! - Latest Property Discussions www.thepropertypin.com