Post subject: Virgin vs vodafone
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:12 am 
Property Magnate

My virgin broadband and TV contract is up, vodafone pushing hard in the area with their broadband/tv pack ..any experience with vodafone broadband/tv?

Post subject: Re: Virgin vs vodafone
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:31 am 
Of Systemic Importance

Had Vodafone before and they use your domestic phone line for their internet. So the speed of the internet you get will be impacted by how good your phone line is. Same with Sky.

I've gone Virgin for broadband and Sky for tv because of this

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:10 pm 
Property Magnate

TheJackal wrote:
Had Vodafone before and they use your domestic phone line for their internet. So the speed of the internet you get will be impacted by how good your phone line is. Same with Sky.

I've gone Virgin for broadband and Sky for tv because of this

Thanks ..in current house a couple of years...the house came pre wired for virgin so only have that hardware (I'm sure there's a landline included but I've never used it).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:20 am 
Property Magnate

Anyone switch from virgin 240mb to Eir 100mb? Any noticeable difference? I just want it for casual browsing and Netflix.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:12 am 
Nationalised

EuroTom wrote:
Anyone switch from virgin 240mb to Eir 100mb? Any noticeable difference? I just want it for casual browsing and Netflix.

Not in the same house, but have Virgin cable 240mbps and Vodafone 100mbps in two different locations. (Same phone line whether you use Vodafone, Eir or Sky). The fibre cabinet is only 100 metres away at the end of the street, so the "up to 100mbps" actually delivers an amazing 97mbps. Virgin and Vodafone both deliver very low latency and jitter. For 99.9% of activities there is absolutely no noticeable difference. However, your mileage is going to vary depending on location. I'd be trying to find a neighbour with phone line broadband to get an idea of the local copper infrastructure. There are also online maps that will let you look up your local cabinet location.

https://www.eir.ie/broadband/coverage-map/

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:28 am 
Property Magnate

ps200306 wrote:
EuroTom wrote:

Not in the same house, but have Virgin cable 240mbps and Vodafone 100mbps in two different locations. (Same phone line whether you use Vodafone, Eir or Sky). The fibre cabinet is only 100 metres away at the end of the street, so the "up to 100mbps" actually delivers an amazing 97mbps. Virgin and Vodafone both deliver very low latency and jitter. For 99.9% of activities there is absolutely no noticeable difference. However, your mileage is going to vary depending on location. I'd be trying to find a neighbour with phone line broadband to get an idea of the local copper infrastructure. There are also online maps that will let you look up your local cabinet location.

https://www.eir.ie/broadband/coverage-map/

Thanks for reply ..looks like I'm in a serviced area, at least one neighbour happy ...when I switch from 240mb to 100mb as long as Netflix and Spotify comes on around the house I'm happy.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:00 pm 
Nationalised

The calculus for broadband in Ireland is quite simple these days:

1) An increasing number of premises can get full fibre to the premises (around 400k premises now and growing daily). Despite the confusing advertising, you'll know if you can get this because you'll be offered 1Gbps (or 1000Mbps). eir, Vodafone, Digiweb and a few other all offer service if your house is covered. If you can get proper fibre, do it. It's the last broadband connection you'll ever need since it's essentially infinitely upgradable (note: laws of physics still apply). Note that you don't need to go for 1G service right now, but it's available in the future if you want it (and likely 10G soon).

2) Failing that, if you can get Virgin Media, do it. Service is better and more reliable than various flavours of DSL available on your phone line, although not as goos as full fibre.

3) If not, go for whatever copper-based product is available over your eir phone line (as sold by eir/Sky/Vodfaone/Digiweb/etc). It will be advertised as "up to 100Mbps" but note that quality will vary wildly depending not only on your distance from the cabinet, but also the quality of the copper going into your house. You might get 5M, you might get 100M. Upload will be poor.

4) If you can't get decent speed on copper, have a look at some of the local wireless guys in your area (Imagine, or a load of local ones). Quality will be intermittently poor.

In all cases if you're paying for more than 50Mbps it's worth paying attention to the Wi-Fi in your house too.

There's really no good reason to deviate from that ranking.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:22 am 
Nationalised

Mantissa wrote:
The calculus for broadband in Ireland is quite simple these days*

* if you only care about speed and not price or add-on services.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:22 pm 
Nationalised

ps200306 wrote:
Mantissa wrote:
The calculus for broadband in Ireland is quite simple these days*

* if you only care about speed and not price

There is very little meaningful difference in the entry-level price between gigabit full fibre; Virgin broadband-only; and copper-based up-to 100M broadband. Granted, eir are currently running a really good deal on broadband with a bundled phone line, but that's a limited-time offer.

Certainly if you fulfil all of the following:
* You are a very light user
* You don't care about future-proofing (i.e. you don't mind changing to a better technology in a year or two when you need more bandwidth)
* You don't mind significant uncertainty over the speed you will receive

then it could make sense to save a little by opting for an eir copper-based service.

ps200306 wrote:
or add-on services.

There are no meaningful add-ons available in the Irish broadband market. You might be talking about bundles, in which care you're not really buying broadband, you're buying the bundle of services. There are some good deals there, especially if you want to bundle mobile with a copper-based or Virgin Media broadband service. Personally I dislike bundles because you're always compromising on the quality of at least one of the bundled services. And you're generally stuck on up to 100M copper broadband.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:53 pm 
Nationalised

Ditto on disliking bundles. But I do know people for whom the availability of, for instance, a particular sports channel, would be the decisive factor.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:33 pm 
Neo Landlord

stick your Eircode in here https://www.airwire.ie/index.php/avail/main/

It will tell you what speed you can get over your phoneline and whether Eir/Siro Fibre is available at your address.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:47 pm 
Nationalised

shweeney wrote:
stick your Eircode in here https://www.airwire.ie/index.php/avail/main/

It will tell you what speed you can get over your phoneline and whether Eir/Siro Fibre is available at your address.

That gives you the information available from these two sites:
* https://www.eir.ie/broadband/
* https://siro.ie/search-your-address/

But it omits this one:

* https://www.virginmedia.ie/broadband/bu ... d-package/

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:19 am 
Single Home Owner

If Siro wasn’t available in your location, can you do anything to prepare for it, i.e. run a certain type of cable from the front of the house to where the router would go?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:37 pm 
Nationalised

dublife wrote:
If Siro wasn’t available in your location, can you do anything to prepare for it, i.e. run a certain type of cable from the front of the house to where the router would go?

In general there's always a benefit to having some CAT6 run to strategic points in your house to a central location. Particularly:
* The location of your TV/media centre. Increasingly TV services need to be connected to the broadband router and you don't want to rely on Wi-Fi for this.
* Any extension or garage, since these will be separated from the main house by a thicker exterior wall and therefore you may need to install a separate Wi-Fi access point there
* In a study or other location where you need optimum Wi-Fi connectivity
* Wherever your eir phone line comes in (for example in my house the eir line comes in on a different floor to my sitting room)
* Wherever your ESB meter cabinet is (this is where SIRO will come into your house and want to put stuff)

Basically you want to be able to pick up the service where it enters and connect to key places in the house. So if you know that SIRO is going to be building on your street, run a cable to the inside wall behind where the ESB meter cabinet is, and one to your TV. At the simplest level this can be one cable between the two locations, or you could run one cable from each to a more convenient central location. These days you should specify CAT6 (since there's no real difference in price from CAT5e vs CAT6) but also make sure than any wall boxes, terminations etc are rated for CAT6.

Don't forget you may need power sockets at the entry points too.