Post subject: Greystones gone mad??
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:33 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Is it just me or does this price not make any sense? Ok it's close to the dart and village but 640 for a 120sqm gaff that could really do with an extension. Sold in 2010 for 385, today asking 640. Can this be justified?

https://m.myhome.ie/residential/brochur ... ow/4269185

"If you were to mention to grown-ups: 'Ive seen a beautiful house built with pink bricks, with geraniums on the windowsills and doves on the roof....' they would not be able to imagine such a house. You would have to say to them: 'I saw a house worth a hundred thousand pounds'. Then they would exclaim: 'Oh! How lovely.'"

(Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

Post subject: Re: Greystones gone mad??
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:13 pm 
Back Home with Mammy

I'm not sure this is too out of line with the current market. I'm not saying it's not a lot of money, but as you've pointed out it's within walking distance to the DART and the village (in what can only be described as the most prestigious town in the whole of Co Wicklow).
120m isn't too small and it boasts 4 Bedrooms, 3 Bathrooms, large gated drive and large private garden. There's a lot worse out there for a lot more!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:11 pm 
Neo Landlord

Meh, there's some nice spots in Wicklow I'd choose to live in ahead of Greystones. Especially paying that kind of bread.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:18 am 
Nationalised

Epicurus wrote:
Meh, there's some nice spots in Wicklow I'd choose to live in ahead of Greystones. Especially paying that kind of bread.

Would you mind naming them? Genuinely interested, and might even be in the market sometime.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:49 am 
Back Home with Mammy

Epicurus wrote:

I'm not saying otherwise, but where else in Wicklow would you have the same access to Dublin and so many nice facilities on your doorstep, yet still maintain that village feel? I think the only other place is Bray and there's no comparison between the two to be honest, everywhere else in Wicklow seems a bit more remote and struggles with provisions such as Public Transport.

I just want to make it clear, I'm not saying that I would pay 640k for this house but it certainly doesn't seem majorly excessive compared to what else is available,

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:32 am 
Under CAB Investigation

I guess it's priced like its in the village, which it nearly is.

Still a bit of money to spend to make it perfect though. I would say 600 would be a fair price based on the other posters thoughts on Greystones

"If you were to mention to grown-ups: 'Ive seen a beautiful house built with pink bricks, with geraniums on the windowsills and doves on the roof....' they would not be able to imagine such a house. You would have to say to them: 'I saw a house worth a hundred thousand pounds'. Then they would exclaim: 'Oh! How lovely.'"

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:03 am 
Neo Landlord

ps200306 wrote:
Epicurus wrote:

Would you mind naming them? Genuinely interested, and might even be in the market sometime.

Well it's a personal choice, but I'd be happier up around Roundwood or between Laragh and Glendalough. Beautiful up there. No good for the Dart line mind you.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:12 am 
Of Systemic Importance

Epicurus wrote:
ps200306 wrote:
Epicurus wrote:

Well it's a personal choice, but I'd be happier up around Roundwood or between Laragh and Glendalough. Beautiful up there. No good for the Dart line mind you.

Those places are proper Wicklow, but it's not just the Dart, commute by driving to Dublin would be verging on insanity.

There are plenty of nice commutable bits of north Wicklow, like Enniskerry-Kilmacanogue. If you're going to be car dependent anyway then being outside a village is no great hardship.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:20 am 
Under CAB Investigation

I used to live in Greystones but now live near Roundwood. Believe it or not, its faster to get into Dublin during rush hour than in Greystones. The traffic/tailbacks getting from Greystones to the N11 at 8am is just crazy. Mind you, I dont commute anymore. Much prefer where I live now.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:27 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

greentree wrote:
I used to live in Greystones but now live near Roundwood. Believe it or not, its faster to get into Dublin during rush hour than in Greystones. The traffic/tailbacks getting from Greystones to the N11 at 8am is just crazy. Mind you, I dont commute anymore. Much prefer where I live now.

What put you off the world's most liveable seaside town 2008:)? Surely nothing's better

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:32 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

greentree wrote:

8am? I believe the Greystonians used to have to leave by 7.30am. And then it was 7am. Maybe now they just sleep in the office.

This is supposedly one reason why there are few good restaurants in Greystones. Everyone is in bed by 9pm.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:39 pm 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

I was out there at the weekend to do the cliff walk, started in Greystones. Last time I was there was a bout 10 years ago. I barely recognized the place, it has completely lost it's sleepy seaside village now, I thought it was very sterile, and for goodness sake people in Greystones, will you pick up your dog litter!! It was rampant, I was starting to think it was a protest by the locals against all the construction in the harbour.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:53 pm 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

This house doesn’t match my tastes, but I am surprised that folks think that it needs further renovation/extending. I think it looks grand.

As for the dog excrement in Greystones and on the Cliff Walk, have to agree, it’s everywhere, and the dog owners are despicable people.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:57 pm 
Property Magnate

croquette wrote:
This house doesn’t match my tastes, but I am surprised that folks think that it needs further renovation/extending. I think it looks grand.

As for the dog excrement in Greystones and on the Cliff Walk, have to agree, it’s everywhere, and the dog owners are despicable people.

120sqm for a 4 bed family house is pretty tight

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:51 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

cyrusir wrote:
croquette wrote:

120sqm for a 4 bed family house is pretty tight

There's worse there believe me. In hillside across the road I viewed a few places there a concluded that they were small 'big houses'. Four bedrooms alright but not enough room to swing a cat in the rooms.